• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of Poicephalus parrot species do you have?

What kind of Poicephalus parrot species do you have?

• Other (Yellow-fronted parrot, Niam-niam parrot)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ccostant

Moving in
I pick up my red bellied baby on Thursday! It will be my first poicephalus...I picked him out because I was originally enamored by Senegals... then found out about these guys!

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo

kristi

Moving in
Real Name
kristi
Ohh i didnt see them included... im sorry

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Here's Bogart (front)! He's 5 weeks old. Can't wait to meet him in person!

Attachments

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I should mention that Bogart is a Jardine's.

Despicio

Walking the driveway
Oh the baby Jardine's on this thread are just too damn cute! They have to be one of the cutest parrot species, like little dinosaurs. As adults I love how benevolent looking they are.

My dad has a Jardine's and I'm getting a 2 year old male (from the same breeder as I got my senegal from), hopefully next week. I'm going to be getting him at just the right age to miss the baby cuteness but get the teenage hormones, lucky me :facepalm:

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm actually quite surprised that Jardine's parrots aren't more popular than they are.

I can't wait to see pictures of your new baby boy, Despicio!

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
neo meyer checkin in ;)
neo.jpg

Despicio

Walking the driveway
I'm actually quite surprised that Jardine's parrots aren't more popular than they are.

I can't wait to see pictures of your new baby boy, Despicio!
Don't worry, once he arrives and has settled in a bit, there'll be plenty of photos :D

I love the name 'Bogart' btw. Which subspecies is he?

I think that Jardine's suffer from a lack of publicity. They have an awful lot of good points (pretty, quite, clever, can talk, not prone to plucking, often playful etc.) Some people try to make out that they're biting machines but my father's blackwing is a soppy beast. I think that they just need to be brought up properly, like any other parrot. They do have the 'more prone to aspergillosis' issue but from what I've read that risk can be greatly lessened with proper diet and keeping their cage and surroundings clean.

My baby will be here on saturday
Wow, not long to wait then. You must be very excited. Is your baby a lesser Jardine's? You'll have to share some photos when you can :)

He (I assume 'he' from the name) looks very pleased with himself there.

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
I've spoken to a few Jardine's breeders and they have said that the lesser Js do tend to go through a nasty biting stage that can be difficult. I've been bitten by one very hard, and I would never let one near my face. The pressure bites numbed my fingers for a while. One breeder who breeds all 3 subspecies (lesser, blackwing, greater) told me that she prefers the larger two because they tend to be mellow in comparison to the lessers.

solo

Real Name
jess
here is the ever lovely Beau
IMG_6406.JPG

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I love the name 'Bogart' btw. Which subspecies is he?
Bogart's a lesser Jardine's.
I've spoken to a few Jardine's breeders and they have said that the lesser Js do tend to go through a nasty biting stage that can be difficult. I've been bitten by one very hard, and I would never let one near my face. The pressure bites numbed my fingers for a while. One breeder who breeds all 3 subspecies (lesser, blackwing, greater) told me that she prefers the larger two because they tend to be mellow in comparison to the lessers.
Their bites couldn't be any worse than a Caique. Walter, my BHC, has a nickname: Edward Scissors mouth. OMG, the day he plowed into the skin on my hand is an experience that I can't forget. If I can survive the attack of a caique, then I most likely can endure a Jardine's bite. We shall see.