• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of conure is this?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
If you aren't keeping an eye on her while she's on the wall she probably already has nibbled on it. My Astro sure would have!

Henry's nare was clean tonight. When he eats his cooked food his head stays down in that bowl for a while. That food beard gets wiped on everything.. cage, perches... it's messy but they sure do like it. Thanks for the compliment on my big green guy!

Yes, Mango was just unsettled from your absence. I'm glad she was back to normal today. And super happy she came down and hung out with you. When she was flying around that night did you try turning on one of her favorite videos to get her to come down?
Yes, I did put on her videos, and each time I did she would come down to her cage. But she never entered the cage, instead she eventually just flew back up to her wall. She was being a real stinker!!

I think I need to get Mango to hang out with Henry for a while. He could teach her how to eat!!!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Ah yes.... the independent conure... this is why you take the food away when you let her out to give her more motivation to go back in as well as tempt her with a treat for coming down to you. My birds love to eat when I'm with them. I've had them for years so we have an established routine that works for me. You might want to use a special noise similar to what she does to signal her food is going back in her cage. Communication and reward!

Henry would probably eat Mango! :eek:

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Ah yes.... the independent conure... this is why you take the food away when you let her out to give her more motivation to go back in as well as tempt her with a treat for coming down to you. My birds love to eat when I'm with them. I've had them for years so we have an established routine that works for me. You might want to use a special noise similar to what she does to signal her food is going back in her cage. Communication and reward!
You are very wise! I like this!

Henry would probably eat Mango!
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
This is awesome. My computer was sitting on the kitchen island playing one of Mango's favorite videos. I was sitting there as well. I turned my back for a moment, and when I turned around, look who was sitting on my computer!!!!

She is getting bolder!!! I love it!

mango on computer.png

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
This is awesome. My computer was sitting on the kitchen island playing one of Mango's favorite videos. I was sitting there as well. I turned my back for a moment, and when I turned around, look who was sitting on my computer!!!!

She is getting bolder!!! I love it!

View attachment 294370
How cute is that! And she stayed there for you to take a photo... amazing. Almost all of my littles are afraid of the camera ( I don't have a smart phone).

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Wow - she is indeed getting bolder!!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I noticed today that Mango is chewing on the empty shells from her seeds. Not sure if she is actually eating them. Very strange.

I offer her so much good food and she chooses to eat seed shells.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Quick Mango update:

Mango has been insanely loud all weekend and this morning as well. She just sits on her wall and screams/calls, apparently calling to other birds who never respond.

Nothing I do can persuade her otherwise. I have tried everything.

I am going to go insane if she doesn't stop. I am trying to work from home but it is impossible.

Unfortunately, I can see where this is heading. I want Mango, but she does not want me. She wants to be with other birds. That's ok. It is what it is. I want her to be happy, even if not with me. I need to find a breeder or another person who has conures who might want to add a flock member.

I am so bummed out, and if I don't get some quiet I will go nuts!!!!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What kind of call is it? Did anything change in the room where she could be doing an alarm call?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
What kind of call is it? Did anything change in the room where she could be doing an alarm call?
It is an incessant loud call to other flock members. Nothing in the room has changed.

Abigale

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Abigale
I still stop in to see this little bird a couple of times per week. I am feeling increasingly sad for her because of her circumstances. She is a very young pineapple gcc that sits in a very small cage all alone in a dark part of the pet store near the fish/amphibians/reptiles. There are budgies in some of the cages underneath her, but she can not see or interact with them. She spends day after day just sitting alone on a dow rod perch in very dim lighting, without being handled. It seems that she is growing more and more timid. She has not warmed up to me as I would have hoped.
About a week ago, I alerted the store manager that the light above her cage is out, and he said that he is aware of it, but it has still not fixed. I also offered to purchase a better perch for her, but was turned down.
At times, I feel so sorry for her, that I come close to buying her and taking her home. But I can't help to think that if I do, I am rewarding the pet store for the way they treated her. They will then be encouraged to get another conure and put it in the same cage. I will be contributing to the problem. At the same time, conures are such social creatures that it must be so stressful for her to live such a solitary life in such a small place. Also, in my condo, she would spend 8-10 hours alone each day while I work. But I would love the opportunity to show her a better life!!!
Im kind of bothered on how everyone calls it a pineapple GGC, As i almost got one but got a yellow sided GCC, They are pretty similar. Its not a pineapple GGC, Its a cinnamon GGC. :cinnamongcc1:

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
It sounds like you are really frustrated :< I’m sorry to hear that. I am not in your situation so I can’t know the extent of everything or tell you what to do- I think it’s understandable, after being kept in a small dark and cramped space for so long, that Mango would have some behavioral problems. Is it possible to give it any more time so that things can cool down? :<

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Where is @iamwhoiam?? I miss her!
Thanks. I was taking a break from things.

Quick Mango update:

Mango has been insanely loud all weekend and this morning as well. She just sits on her wall and screams/calls, apparently calling to other birds who never respond.

Nothing I do can persuade her otherwise. I have tried everything.

I am going to go insane if she doesn't stop. I am trying to work from home but it is impossible.

Unfortunately, I can see where this is heading. I want Mango, but she does not want me. She wants to be with other birds. That's ok. It is what it is. I want her to be happy, even if not with me. I need to find a breeder or another person who has conures who might want to add a flock member.

I am so bummed out, and if I don't get some quiet I will go nuts!!!!!

I am sorry that Mango is being very loud. I would not pass her onto a breeder and I think passing her on to someone else might be difficult for her. I wish I had a solution for you but you need to try to see if you can figure out what is bothering her. Does she need some kind of new toy/toys to interact with? Does she need some foraging and problem solving toys where she has to use her brain power to figure out and something to keep her busy? Does she want some food item from you? Is she noisy like this when she is in her cage? She may be hormonal right now and once she gets through this she will quiet down. Can you use some earbuds and listen to some music so the noise doesn't bug you? Did this start after your return from your business trip?

A few of my birds can be very noisy. In fact I was on the phone this AM and Jaden just kept chatting and making all kinds of noise, add that to my dog barking I found it hard to hear what the person on the other end of the line was saying to me. Jaden can go on and on for a long time and then there are my cockatoos and one of my Amazons. They are VERY loud and when they get going and doing there round robin screaming it can get bad.

I really hope you can find a solution.

BTW, you may want to take her to the vet for a check up if you feel comfortable doing that to see if something physiological is going on?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
It sounds like you are really frustrated :< I’m sorry to hear that. I am not in your situation so I can’t know the extent of everything or tell you what to do- I think it’s understandable, after being kept in a small dark and cramped space for so long, that Mango would have some behavioral problems. Is it possible to give it any more time so that things can cool down? :<
Thank you for the input. Actually, I have been working with Mango for about 9 months. But today, she was pure evil. I thought she was going to drive me completely bonkers.

But the most amazing thing just happened...

There was a fire alarm in my building, so I went downstairs. While I was down there with the other residents, I ran into someone who had the cutest little yellow budgie named Banana in a small cage. She explained to me that she found Banana over the summer sitting in a Downtown parking lot. I told her about Mango and so she brought Banana up to my place to meet Mango. This is the first time Mango has seen another live bird since I adopted her.

The two birds have been sitting quietly staring at each other for a while now. FINALLY, I have some peace and quiet, and Mango has another bird to hang with!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe you need to purchase a budgie. They are not loud and at least the birds can see one another. Don't let Banana and Mango be too close because that's a bird with an unknown history to you (unless Banana has been health checked).

Maybe when you are busy you need to put on some videos for Mango or some music that she likes or maybe you already tried that.

Last edited:

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Thanks. I was taking a break from things.

I am sorry that Mango is being very loud. I would not pass her onto a breeder and I think passing her on to someone else might be difficult for her. I wish I had a solution for you but you need to try to see if you can figure out what is bothering her. Does she need some kind of new toy/toys to interact with? Does she need some foraging and problem solving toys where she has to use her brain power to figure out and something to keep her busy? Does she want some food item from you? Is she noisy like this when she is in her cage? She may be hormonal right now and once she gets through this she will quiet down. Can you use some earbuds and listen to some music so the noise doesn't bug you? Did this start after your return from your business trip?

A few of my birds can be very noisy. In fact I was on the phone this AM and Jaden just kept chatting and making all kinds of noise, add that to my dog barking I found it hard to hear what the person on the other end of the line was saying to me. Jaden can go on and on for a long time and then there are my cockatoos and one of my Amazons. They are VERY loud and when they get going and doing there round robin screaming it can get bad.

I really hope you can find a solution.

BTW, you may want to take her to the vet for a check up if you feel comfortable doing that to see if something physiological is going on?
I am soooo glad you are back!! I missed you and was actually starting to think something may have happened to you. I hope you had a nice break.

Yes, I do think Mango is hormonal right now. She is chewing perches like crazy and making some nesting sounds when she is near any cozy spaces. But what she has done over the last three days is very disheartening. Today, for example, she flew to her wall around 8:30 am and started the calling, which lasted until about 1:30 pm. At one point around noon, I was going nuts and I jumped up and yelled at her to shut up. She immediately flew around the room making her scolding noise and then went back to the wall and started calling louder and more frequently while looking directly at me. If I would glance up at her she would stare me down and intensify her calls. It was as if she were trying to get another rise out of me. I don't understand this. Cosmo never did anything like this.

After I introduced her to Banana, she was quiet for a while. I expected her to be more interested because of the way she clings to her bird videos. But she wasn't. Instead, she went back into her cage, and I closed the door. Anytime I walked up to talk to her, she gave me hard-core go-away dance, including the aggressive kind where she rubs her beak on her perch. She is acting like she is mad at me. Am I just projecting these human emotions onto her, or could a bird really be "angry?" It sure seemed like she is very angry at me.

I tried so hard to interact with her over the weekend, but she made it clear that she sees me only as a food source and has no intentions whatsoever of allowing a bond with a human. She wants companionship with birds only. As I said, I am ok with this. I tried my best to win her over, but she just isn't having any of it. Or, maybe it's just the hormones. I just don't know. Another possibility is that the bird videos have reinforced the idea of bird companionship in her mind. Trying to be a conure psychologist is not easy. They are complicated. I need to stop feeding her seeds. All that fat really triggers the hormones in females. But it is all she will eat. I don't want to starve her!

How are you doing??? Do you go anywhere during your time away? How is the flock? Ricky? Lucy? My buddy Speeeeeeeee???? Are you fully recovered from your fall?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Maybe you need to purchase a budgie. They are not loud and at least the birds can see one another. Don't let Banana and Mango be too close because that's a bird with an unknown history to you (unless Banana has been health checked).

Maybe when you are busy you need to put on some videos for Mango or some music that she likes or maybe you already tried that.
Oh yes, I have tried videos and music. They do help.