• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of conure is this?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I never would have guessed that a wild sparrow could talk. That is pretty amazing.

I have yet to hear Mango say anything.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
You don't know the singing frog????? It's a classic!!!! Take the next 6 minutes and check it out.

I give you, the singing frog
I was a cartoon junkie as a kid... I remember that one!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think Chibi-chan is a he not a she based on the his colors.
When Spee started talking I did a search for other sparrows who could talk and found that video of Chibi-chan.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I've never known for a female green cheek to talk until my Astro learned to say her name. She says it over and over every day. She used to say our standard poodles name "Jesse" quite a bit but not so much any more since he's been gone for seven years. Her most favorite saying is " Get out!" Something she picked up by me telling the dogs to get out of the room.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I've never known for a female green cheek to talk until my Astro learned to say her name. She says it over and over every day. She used to say our standard poodles name "Jesse" quite a bit but not so much any more since he's been gone for seven years. Her most favorite saying is " Get out!" Something she picked up by me telling the dogs to get out of the room.
If a sparrow can talk, then surely a much more sophisticated, intelligent, and wise green cheek can talk (hehehehe).

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If a sparrow can talk, then surely a much more sophisticated, intelligent, and wise green cheek can talk (hehehehe).
Spee is insulted. He wants to let you know that he is very sophisticated (He comes from European aristocracy.), highly intelligent and extremely wise. :D

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Quick update!

Mango is becoming more and more interactive. She loves to come out of her cage and fly around my condo. She spends a lot of time hanging out on the top of a divider wall that separates my bedroom from the great room. When she is up there, she talks to me and calls to me a lot.

We have now established some direct communication. If I look at Mango and do a head bob, she will head bob right back at me. We also have some whistles that we do back and forth. It's really a lot of fun!

She still takes seeds from my hand, but will not step up or allow any contact. However, today while she was sitting on her wall and I was working, she buzzed me, flying down and touching the top of my head and then flying back to her wall. I could not belive it!!! I have no idea why she did this, but I tend to think that she is thinking about landing on me. She is also VERY vocal these days.

She still LOVES her bird videos and REALLY wants to be around other conures. Maybe someday!!

Her diet is still awful. Seeds only, and a tiny bit of apple.

She asked me to wish everyone on the forum a very merry Christmas and happy holidays!!!!

Craig

Last edited:

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love your Mango updates. What a change in your girl. Just heartwarming. Lucky birdie having a Dad that has put in the time.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mango is still testing the waters. Some day she will land on your head and/or step up. Have you tried any mashes with her yet? If you mix the apple with something else does she just pick out the apple and toss everything else.
Happy Holidays to you and Mango, too.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Mango is still testing the waters. Some day she will land on your head and/or step up.
I am going to hold you to this!!!

Have you tried any mashes with her yet? If you mix the apple with something else does she just pick out the apple and toss everything else.
Yes, I have tried mixing, mashing, mushing, combining and everything else! She picks out seeds or apple, and won't give anything else the time of day. Even walnuts, slivered almonds, pecans, etc. She wants nothing to do with anything that does not come out of a shell.

Happy Holidays to you and Mango, too
Same to you and your flock (especially my buddy, Spee)!!!!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I will let Spee know that you wished him a Happy Holiday. :D

Does she just pick out the smaller seeds? What mix are you giving her? Walnuts, almonds, etc. come out of a shell. How about chopping them up very finely although you have probably already tried that.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Great to see an update from you Craig. It's nice to hear Mango has come out of her shell and exploring her surroundings. Conures especially love running water. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if she flew to you if you were washing dishes in your kitchen sink some day. What pellets have you tried with her? My Bob is one reluctant boy to try pellets but I have seen this past year every night when I'm cleaning water cups his cup will have a couple of roudybush pellets in the bottom of the water. Which, tells me he's eating some of those that are mixed in with his seed and he's taking them to his water dish to soak them for eating. Roudybush pellets won't float if they get dropped in water but the zupreem pellets will float for a bit. My Astro will reach into her pellet dish of Zupreem... grab up to four of those little round pellets in her beak and go to her water and drop them in all at once... pick each one out to eat and start the process over until she's had her fill of pellets.. She also has a cup with seeds in it ( and there are roudybush pellets in with her seed).

Wishing you and Mango a wonderful holiday full of sweet surprises!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I will let Spee know that you wished him a Happy Holiday. :D

Does she just pick out the smaller seeds? What mix are you giving her? Walnuts, almonds, etc. come out of a shell. How about chopping them up very finely although you have probably already tried that.
I'll bet Spee was thrilled to know that I am thinking about him!

Oh yes, I have tried serving the nuts in a wide range of sizes just to see if anything might resonate with her. But NO. She is just too good to try any of these lowly nuts. Sheeesh.

However, I did have a breakthrough tonight!!!!!!! Check this out...

Every once in a while, I microwave a sweet potato and then slice it, mash it up a little bit, and then push some safflower seeds down into the mash just to see if she might go for them. Up until now, she has refused to try them, all the while laughing at my feeble attempt to get her to try something healthy. Well, I did this again tonight, placing the potato on a small paper plate along with some apple pieces and some pomegranite seeds and some additional scattered safflower seed, and look at what I found when I went to check on it...

potato.png

Notice that the potato has been partially eaten, and all of the safflower seeds are gone!!!!!!!! Could it be??? It sure appears like she has tasted her first sweet potato!!!

I had the seeds pushed down far enough that there was no way that she could get them without tasting some potato. I am excited!!

Also, when she was sitting up on her wall tonight, she dive bombed me again, as though she wanted to land on me. Very encouraging!!!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Great to see an update from you Craig. It's nice to hear Mango has come out of her shell and exploring her surroundings. Conures especially love running water. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if she flew to you if you were washing dishes in your kitchen sink some day. What pellets have you tried with her? My Bob is one reluctant boy to try pellets but I have seen this past year every night when I'm cleaning water cups his cup will have a couple of roudybush pellets in the bottom of the water. Which, tells me he's eating some of those that are mixed in with his seed and he's taking them to his water dish to soak them for eating. Roudybush pellets won't float if they get dropped in water but the zupreem pellets will float for a bit. My Astro will reach into her pellet dish of Zupreem... grab up to four of those little round pellets in her beak and go to her water and drop them in all at once... pick each one out to eat and start the process over until she's had her fill of pellets.. She also has a cup with seeds in it ( and there are roudybush pellets in with her seed).

Wishing you and Mango a wonderful holiday full of sweet surprises!
Hi Mockinbirdiva!!!!!!!! Thanks for stopping by!

I have tried Zupreem Natural, and Harrison's High Potentcy. Mango scoffs at both of them.

Yes, Mango usually responds to the sound of running water by taking a bath, especially when she hears me in the shower. Great to hear that Bob (actually, so funny to think of a bird named Bob!) may be leaving some clues that he is checking out his pellets. Maybe I should try some Roudybush? If I tell Mango that Bob gave them a good review, maybe that will motivate her...

Wishing you and your flock a wonderful holiday season as well!!!!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I'll bet Spee was thrilled to know that I am thinking about him!

Oh yes, I have tried serving the nuts in a wide range of sizes just to see if anything might resonate with her. But NO. She is just too good to try any of these lowly nuts. Sheeesh.

However, I did have a breakthrough tonight!!!!!!! Check this out...

Every once in a while, I microwave a sweet potato and then slice it, mash it up a little bit, and then push some safflower seeds down into the mash just to see if she might go for them. Up until now, she has refused to try them, all the while laughing at my feeble attempt to get her to try something healthy. Well, I did this again tonight, placing the potato on a small paper plate along with some apple pieces and some pomegranite seeds and some additional scattered safflower seed, and look at what I found when I went to check on it...

View attachment 292428

Notice that the potato has been partially eaten, and all of the safflower seeds are gone!!!!!!!! Could it be??? It sure appears like she has tasted her first sweet potato!!!

I had the seeds pushed down far enough that there was no way that she could get them without tasting some potato. I am excited!!

Also, when she was sitting up on her wall tonight, she dive bombed me again, as though she wanted to land on me. Very encouraging!!!
Well! That's exciting! I think you should set up a web cam and see if you can catch her eating the sweet potato. It's always fun to see your updates.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Hi Mockinbirdiva!!!!!!!! Thanks for stopping by!

I have tried Zupreem Natural, and Harrison's High Potentcy. Mango scoffs at both of them.

Yes, Mango usually responds to the sound of running water by taking a bath, especially when she hears me in the shower. Great to hear that Bob (actually, so funny to think of a bird named Bob!) may be leaving some clues that he is checking out his pellets. Maybe I should try some Roudybush? If I tell Mango that Bob gave them a good review, maybe that will motivate her...

Wishing you and your flock a wonderful holiday season as well!!!!
Have you ever tried cutting your apple bits into super tiny minced pieces ...place them on a small plate, nuke in the microwave for 25 seconds and then mix in some crushed pellet bits with the cooked apple bits? She might try that too and you'll be sneaking in some pellets. Maybe you could write the Roudybush company and ask for a sample to try for your girl. Tell them how hard it's been to get her to eat any pelleted food and they may well send you some samples. I ordered some Caitec Fresh ovenbites and they weren't such a hit here with any of my birds. The ingredients are pretty different from what they are used to so it's to be expected to start off with. I personally don't have a problem taking seed cups out for the whole day and only leaving the pellets for them to eat. Instead of the Roudybush go to TOP's Parrot Food Pellets and Seeds; USDA Organic Certified I'm not sure if they would send out a sample but they do have a 12 oz size of the small pellets. The ingredients are better IMO than Roudybush. I'm going to order for both big and small birds here to see if they'll try it.

TOP's Small Parrot Pellets – TOP's Parrot Food

Bob got his name when I picked him out because he didn't have any tail feathers. I'm guessing some other bird in the Avian store pulled his tail feathers out. He had a cute stumpy hiney and I thought of Bob. It sure fits him. In time he grew out new tail feathers. I had a friend that named her cockatiel "Roger"... I thought that was funny!