• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of Cockatoo!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I dont know much at all about cockatoos. I know that they are beautiful, loud, and demanding :p

But they had the most beautiful cockatoos at the zoo that are new this year and i believe i have fallen in love. They were the funniest little things EVER! (No, i'm not considering a cockatoo and don't think i ever will.. just.. making observations :p )

I dont know what kind they were, though! They were quite small. Probably roughly the size of a Grey. Their crests were yello and they had ALOT of yellow all around their faces. They were beautiful!

drop

Rollerblading along the road
A Lesser Sulfer-Crest, or Citron-Crest (sub-species of LSC), maybe? They are similar size to a Grey.

Here's a picture for the size, the Citron (second pic) has a more orangy crest and chee. That one is a baby but they are pretty much that size adult too. I know one LSC that has alot of yellow on his face, it may vary form bird to bird. You may see it more in person then in pictures, because the base of the head feathers are yellowish so it shows more when you pet them or they puff.

Last edited:

Allessa

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
My thought went to those 2 as well. I cant think of any other ones with yellow in their crests off the time of my head.

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
The second one looks like them, they had dark black beaks, but you're right i could see ALOT more yellow on them. SO pretty and hilarious little characters!

drop

Well, the first one is just a baby, it will have a blacker beak adult too and probably more yellow in the face. The main difference is the color of the crest/cheek.

Last edited:

emilybsharp

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Emily
Actually, Ive been looking. And, I just typed in blue eyed cockatoo, and photos, of this came up. I also got the name Cacatua opthalmica, looked it up and it comes up, but then also did a MM2. Sooo Im not sure.

shf

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I would love to buy a blue eyed cockatoo but upset to receive a triton; the triton already is rare but the blue-eyed is extremely rare; similar in size to the triton, moluccan and umbrella a very large cockatoo and extremely beautiful.
They are not supposed to be sold as pets because they are so rared and exotic; most are probably in zoos and in breeding programs; and if you were to really get a real one from a breeder it would command a price in the thousands of dollars.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Tritons have a blue eye ring but are not the blue eyed cockatoo. The BEC is rare in the states but not in the wild. A consortium was being put togehter about 8 or 9 years ago. With the consortium and meeting specific guidelines tooz can be brought into the states. I am not sure how far the group got.

Another rare species is the firey shoulder conure which was also a consortium in the states. Original birds cannot be sold but off springs could be.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.