• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is your favourite type of Amazon Parrot and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I have only met a few zons, a couple at the bird fair, two in pet stores and one in person..and what a one...Doll's magnificent Mango..I was in total awe...what a totally magnificent beautiful bird..

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I'm not sure the size of a Red Lored, but I'm pretty sure the MRH is smaller. In fact, mine was smaller than my Goffin by a tiny bit.
I can give you comparison pics of my Red Lored next to my Mealy. I am wanting to say that Red Loreds are maybe the size of a grey maybe alittle bit bigger? It's hard to compare really LOL but when Bonnie - NCGreybirdlady who has an Orange Wing came over last year and saw Kazoo in his cage she was like "look at how big he is" and funny because my Vet said Kazoo was smaller for a Mealy but then again he was just like a year old then.

Celia58

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Having only experience with our one OWA, I guess that would have to be my favorite. I dont know what is meant when people say "Amazon person".I mean I dont know if Im an Amazon person..I had no preconceived notions at to what they are supposed to be like when I adopted Paco.In fact I knew nothing about Amazons at all.He is fast becoming a great friend. Its funny because its not like he is a "pet".I mean I have to ask him if he wants stuff and he lets me know what he wants or doesnt want.Its been a pretty cool experience, dealing with such an intelligent animal.
I am glad we got an older Orangewing as our first though after reading about the hot three.
I doubt I will ever have another one though.I mean they take alot of your time I couldnt imagine trying to deal with two.

Last edited:

Tigra

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Wendy
I have to say, I adore YC Zons, but I could be biased as obviously my beautiful Codie is a YC :) She is totally bonded with me, and really does not tolerate anyone else! It dosen't matter where I go in the House, she trots along behind me like a Dog :lol: While I am on the Computer, she comes and perches herself on the leg of the Chair, just to be close by me :) and she will not move, until I do! She screams when I leave the Room, but I am working on that one, by ignoring her.. so far by having done this for 6 Weeks now, she is getting better... She is still only young at 7 Months old, but already can say quite a few words.. ie; Hello, Hiya, What Ya Doing, Good Girl and Night Night :) I love her to bits!! I adore all Amazons though :heart: They just have such amazing personalities :dance4:

Dot

DSC_0168.JPG My First Born Tommie BFA.jpg
And, IMO, Amazons have THE most beautiful eyes I have ever seen. I feel as though they can look right into your soul.
My first born is a Blue-fronted Amazon. I have had her 22 years. The song I sing to her is "You're in my heart, you're in my soul. You'll be my breath should I grow old. You are my lover. You're my best friend. You're in my soul." Appropriate, huh?

Dot

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Photos on this thread are awesome! Thanks everyone!:)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did I ever mention that I actually saw an amazon who wasn't much bigger than a large pionus?!!:eek:

It was called something with the word speckled?

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
I've seen those, they look similar to a Cuban I think. Dont remember the name though.

Rara Avis

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Geneva
When it comes to looks, I think the St. Vincent and Cuban amazons are absolutely beautiful. I've never met one, though, so I don't know how they are when it comes to temperament.
I'm biased towards the OW amazons. Mine has such a sweet and quirky personality. All the OWs that I've met have had a very regal expression about them. Love that.

BirdyGirl

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Erica
I have to vote for the Yellow-shouldered, as that's what my baby is! I don't think they're too commonly found as pets, from what I've heard, but Rio is AWESOME! I really never expected to share my life with an amazon - I'm more of a cockatoo person - but Rio and I just hit it off. He is very quiet and a fairly decent talker. He'll be turning 7 in June and the hormones have just started to kick in these last couple of months. However, from what I've read and the stories I've heard, if this is as "bad" as it gets with his hormones, I'll consider myself lucky.
I just adore my baby. He's a smaller 'zon - weighing in at around 320g or so. I remember the first time I saw him, after he was turned into our shelter... I was shocked at how small he was! I'd never seen or heard of a Yellow-shouldered amazon. The first time I tried to interact with him, he lunged at me. :lol:
However, at some point, we ended up falling for each other and I can't imagine my life without my little green chicken - challenging moments and all! 028 - Copy (4).JPG

KenDRAGON

Real Name
Kendra
The only amazon i've ever met and have felt 100% comfortable around and was able to handle was a Cuban. she had the sweetest eye and disposition, she could've been a pionus wearing the wrong feathers! i also had a fun interaction with a mexican red-headed but i still feel very nervous about touching amazons, for some reason. I find them extremely beautiful and unique birds, but LORD do they make me nervous haha.
there's an amazon (i think he's a yellow nape, but i'm actually not 100% sure) at my fave bird store, he belongs to the owner, named Boo. I loveeee to chat him up and he gets very excited and fluffy, and i tell him how handsome and beautiful he is and how i love him but i'll never ever touch him lol

i hope someday i can grow more comfortable with them, because i do think they are beautiful and so many people are infatuated with them, there must be a lot of love in them that i just am unaware of.

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
I've never handled one, but love the look of the Hispaniolan Amazon. Love the face, the beak color, the flights.

hispaniolan-amazon-21351564.jpg hispaniolan-parrot-dr.jpg

Out of the amazons that I could realistically own, it's hands down the Blue Front! :D
I have a thing for solid beak colors, I guess? I like the all black beak and they seem to be able to have a greater degree of difference possible in feather color/position than many amazons, I've seen.
I feel like I'd know Covsky's face from most other BFAs. He has a few, tiny, single little blue feathers in the green around his nape and these pale yellow splotches in the lighter blue under his eyes.

Last edited:

BayuCah'ya

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emily
I don't foresee myself ever bringing a 'Zon into my flock, for a number of reasons, but I've certainly had the privilege of raising and/or working with several remarkable ones. I have to say, though, on a purely aesthetic level, that St. Vincents are my favorite. Of course Murphy's Law would have it that they are super rare and endangered. :( But they are stunningly beautiful.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My favorite kind is yellow napes. I was not interested in amazons at all for almost the first 20 of my bird owning years. However, I was always kind of drawn to the big green napes. Not that I really wanted one, but I often found my self stopping to just appreciate them. They just seemed like powerful, beautiful animals. Then I got a female that needed a good home and found out they aren't necessarily as bad as so many people say they are. Yellow napes, double yellow heads and blue fronts have the reputation for being the most challenging... especially the males. I have not had any major problems with my females at all. I have one male that is a devil bird.
A decent number of them are inherently independent and do not have the patience for snuggling very long. This can sometimes mean that the kind of relationship you have with an amazon is different than other parrots and you almost have to have a little bit of a different mentality to really enjoy them. Co-dependent people that need a pet to love them in order to fill some personal void might not be happy with an amazon. I think of Diva as my best friend with feathers. As such I'm not fawning all over her and constantly pestering her for attention. We stop and talk a lot and have a lot of short interactions. Sometimes we share a meal together, but more often than not we just enjoy each other's company. Usually with her on her gym or cage and me on the couch or around the house. Someone that is constantly sticking their fingers in an amazons face isn't likely to be tolerated long. Diva generally doesn't like to just sit with me for long. Sometimes she surprises me, but she has places to go and things to do and gets grouchy if I try to hold her back.
Melissa

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I might give a left arm to have one of these...Vinaceous Amazon.:swoon: Saw one in person and he was absolutely breathtaking.

carlottalyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carlie
Wow, they're gorgeous...just googled them, and there's one on sale to Florida residents only. Just sayin'. :lol:

I might give a left arm to have one of these...Vinaceous Amazon.:swoon: Saw one in person and he was absolutely breathtaking.

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Status
Not open for further replies.