• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is your favorite, zebra finches or society finches?

ElisaDove81

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elisa
Which type of finch is your favorite and why? Society or zebra?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I recently read that society finches are a truly domesticated bird. They tend to do well with humans and captivity. I feel like this makes them ideal birds in a lot of ways. If you think of it this way the society finch would be like a dog and the zebra finch like keeping a wolf.

Zebras are still the same as their wild counterparts. They just happen to be a very hardy species because they come from the Outback of Australia--- tough little birds. However I know of people who have lost their birds to cold. They were kept in an outdoor aviary here in Australia. There was a cold snap from an Antarctic storm, sadly six of her zebras dies over night. :(

I am very much in love with my Zebra so far. He is new to my life. I find the beeps and chirps very charming. I am new to keeping finches, but his little sounds haven't bothered me yet :)

This is a very informative site, I hope it helps you.

Finch Species Profiles

Last edited:

ElisaDove81

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elisa
I recently read that society finches are a truly domesticated bird. They tend to do well with humans and captivity. I feel like this makes them ideal birds in a lot of ways. If you think of it this way the society finch would be like a dog and the zebra finch like keeping a wolf.

Zebras are still the same as their wild counterparts. They just happen to be a very hardy species because they come from the Outback of Australia--- tough little birds. However I know of people who have lost their birds to cold. They were kept in an outdoor aviary here in Australia. There was a cold snap from an Antarctic storm, sadly six of her zebras dies over night. :(

I am very much in love with my Zebra so far. He is new to my life. I find the beeps and chirps very charming. I am new to keeping finches, but his little sounds haven't bothered me yet :)

This is a very informative site, I hope it helps you.

Finch Species Profiles
Yes I love society finches as well, I have never owned zebra finches but I was thinking about getting one. I was wondering what everyone else thought about them. Thank you for replying

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
I’ve had both zebras and societies, and I really love the societies more. Zebras are adorable and their little squeaks are so cute, but they are so much more hyperactive. They’re more aggressive to other birds too.

Societies have been truly domesticated so they are much more laid back and chill. The boys songs and dances are so cute.

ElisaDove81

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elisa
I’ve had both zebras and societies, and I really love the societies more. Zebras are adorable and their little squeaks are so cute, but they are so much more hyperactive. They’re more aggressive to other birds too.

Societies have been truly domesticated so they are much more laid back and chill. The boys songs and dances are so cute.
I loved the societies also, cutest birds ever I think, and they have such cute little personalities. I didn't know the zebras were aggressive, so you probably cant put them with other finch species?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Zebras drive me crazy with their frenetic energy and beep-beeps. So I prefer societies.
Same here. I prefer the societies and love the song of the males.... too adorable. but... they are a very prolific species.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
To me they are! Hoping someone else weighs in.
I've never kept the zebras but I would think they are about the same in activity. Little finchies flit..flit.. flitting around the cage is a whole lotta seed hulls on the floor so daily paper changes are in order. If you really want busy finches get some Orange cheeked waxbills. Those are nervous busy birds!!! But very pretty.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I've never kept the zebras but I would think they are about the same in activity. Little finchies flit..flit.. flitting around the cage is a whole lotta seed hulls on the floor so daily paper changes are in order. If you really want busy finches get some Orange cheeked waxbills. Those are nervous busy birds!!! But very pretty.
Honestly I think my parrots make far bigger messes in comparison to little Zippy the zebra. The finches aren't shredding toys, so it isn't that bad. Seed hauls aren't too difficult to vacuum up :)

I think daily cleaning is a part of bird ownership, don't let that discourage you from getting finches. I let Zippy out to free fly the room today. He kept flying closer and closer to me. I am hoping in time he will be comfortable eating near me. He ended up flying back to his home for a nap and was super fluffy and snuggled up. Adorbs! There wasn't that much of a mess left behind him. My parrots can eat one treat or play with one toys and the mass chaos is at parrot level :p

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Honestly I think my parrots make far bigger messes in comparison to little Zippy the zebra
Yes that’s true but the mess is different. Friends with parrots who look after mine or foster some are always amazed at the mess the finches create! :D

Maybe it’s the one way finches can show they’re da boss!

We just use lots of newspapers and vacuum often. There are ways to minimize it - relocating feeders, using see guards etc.

ElisaDove81

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elisa
Honestly I think my parrots make far bigger messes in comparison to little Zippy the zebra. The finches aren't shredding toys, so it isn't that bad. Seed hauls aren't too difficult to vacuum up :)

I think daily cleaning is a part of bird ownership, don't let that discourage you from getting finches. I let Zippy out to free fly the room today. He kept flying closer and closer to me. I am hoping in time he will be comfortable eating near me. He ended up flying back to his home for a nap and was super fluffy and snuggled up. Adorbs! There wasn't that much of a mess left behind him. My parrots can eat one treat or play with one toys and the mass chaos is at parrot level :p
aw thats cute! Can societys be tamed like parakeets can? Or are they more of the look no touch type of bird?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
In Australia we call society finches bengalese finches. There are tons of colour combinations.

This will help you with finch compatibility :)

Finch Compatibility Chart | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
uh oh, the link didn't work - it said page not found
Same here. I prefer the societies and love the song of the males.... too adorable. but... they are a very prolific species.
I updated the link.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
aw thats cute! Can societys be tamed like parakeets can? Or are they more of the look no touch type of bird?
They are more of a no touch bird. I believe the hand tame ones on youtube are almost all hand raised. -- though as stated. I am a newbie to finches :) I know in this forum there is a member who have super hand tame Java finches.

ElisaDove81

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elisa
They are more of a no touch bird. I believe the hand tame ones on youtube are almost all hand raised. -- though as stated. I am a newbie to finches :) I know in this forum there is a member who have super hand tame Java finches.
okay thank you, I know this may be a weird question also, but are finches good to have around kids? Do these birds scare easily? My daughter wants either a parakeet or a finch but I was trying to decide what would be better...the zebra, society finch or parakeet?