• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent What is wrong?

JSeok

Meeting neighbors
So my friend recently got a 7 month old cockatiel from a pet store, but the little guy seems not well. He’s always fluffed up, eats and drinks a lot, and sleeps most of the day. He’s not really active, as said earlier, he only eats, drinks and sleeps. His stool isn’t really normal either. I’m suspecting a bacterial infection. The vet only has a free space at the end of next week. For now he’s being warmed up with a terrarium lamp, which he seems to really love and stand in front of, he doesn’t play or show any interest in interacting with people either. He’s not tame, but in the process of being tame, but for now my friend is only focusing on making him feel better. He’s only been there for 2 weeks and seems to be settled in. His vent looks clean, he only looks a bit scruffy.
Some pics of the bird, stool, and the food being given currently, trying to transition to fruits and veggies, though. He also has his mineral and calcium blocks and also being given some vitamin drops in his water.
A16B3BEF-4342-4D5E-B417-356FF5A16443.jpeg 984BABCA-FB54-47C6-A9D5-7A8083FD3ED3.jpeg B9B70F95-6884-45C5-A9F2-E864E2A1A07D.jpeg B45A03C3-D8C5-4491-8CF3-940F72244558.jpeg

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is his weight?

If he has a bacterial infection, he really can't wait until the end of next week to get treatment.

JSeok

Meeting neighbors
How is his weight?

If he has a bacterial infection, he really can't wait until the end of next week to get treatment.
His weight is pretty stable, he’s not skinny or anything. I’ll talk with my friend about this. And I agree, I would rush the bird to a vet ASAP. But since my friend has financial problems and there’s literally only one small animal vet that treats birds in her town, it’s hard. Let’s all hope he gets the vet care sooner and that he will be alright

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
And I agree, I would rush the bird to a vet ASAP. But since my friend has financial problems
Maybe you could lend your friend the money?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Just putting the idea out there.

Remember, money will always come and go, but the bird is only here right now and when he´s gone, hes´s not coming back.

I hope you guys figure out a solution. Maybe a family member or another friend can lend the money to your friend.

Kodigirl210

If you don’t mind - Where is your friend located? Are there any rescue societies that might help?

There is one thing I can think of that might help a little. If she has access to Apple Cider Vinegar have her add a few drops to the drinking water. Hopefully the Tiel will drink it.

Also make sure she takes the Tiel out cage and all locked tight and with her watching closely for predators or whatnot to get at least 15-30 minutes of direct sunlight a day. He may be low on Vitamin A. Plus direct sunlight is always good for birds. Hope she gets to a vet soon! Good luck :)

JSeok

Meeting neighbors
If you don’t mind - Where is your friend located? Are there any rescue societies that might help?
We both live in Lithuania, and we don’t really have such things here. People have cats and dogs here and parrots are not as common. So much so that there aren’t specifically Avian vets, just general vets who happen to know how to treat birds, and that’s with not all vets here. Also, thank you for your tips, we very much appreciate it and will try some apple cider vinegar. Since getting direct sunlight is hard right now (cold weather and such and windows block the sun rays), that can’t really happen, instead she uses a terrarium lamp which produces both heat and UV light. The tiel is getting a vet checkup scheduled tomorrow, even if it costs extra cash, we’re getting him checked out ASAP. Hopefully it’s nothing more complicated than we think and some antibiotics might do the trick. Also the bird has his cage opened most of the day, and he used to fly out and explore a bit. But as the second week progressed, it looked like he didn’t have the energy to even go out, or no interest actually. Like he didn’t want to fly or go anywhere anymore. From then on we got really alarmed. So hopefully this stuff works out tommorow and I’ll update how Tori (my friend’s tiel) is doing !

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am sorry that your 'tiel is not feeling well. It's good that you will be taking him to the vet for an exam. I hope all will be well and that he will get better soon.
Sending positive thoughts for Tori.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope the little tiel will be okay!

Kodigirl210

I’m glad you’re getting her to the vet right away. The Apple coder vinegar can be used to clean and disinfect as well. I would wash all his dishes and cage with the vinegar and then re-wash the cage with a bleach solution. You want to make sure to clean it especially if there’s a chance there’s infection. You also want to do that wherever the Tiel is so she doesn’t getting reinfected. I hope the Tiel gets better soon! :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
20g is a big drop there.
I hope he´ll be ok! Please keep us posted

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It sounds like this bird is very sick. Please tell your friend to monitor closely.

Kodigirl210

There are other foods that can be tried as well. Warm mashed potato or warm mashed sweet potato. Brown rice. Cooked, warm, oatmeal or warm brown rice/quinoa. Something that will taste good to the Tiel as well as be easy on the tummy especially if the meds are being given twice a day. Since a bacterial infection is suspected - please have her clean all areas the bird has been & the cage to avoid reinfection. Hopefully the Tiel gets better with the medicine. :)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Smash up a boiled egg, see if he'll eat some of that. Pasta would be good at this time as well for the extra energy it'll give.
Sorry I can't suggest anything else without a diagnosis.
His condition suggests he was with the pet shop for quite a while, poorly fed and neglected. Definitely badly treated. To me, by buying that bird from that store your friend was actually rescuing him.
I wish you all well.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Be very careful with the terrarium light. They can burn a bird and that would be devastating.

Can you feed the bird with a syringe, spoon or cup. Just like with a baby bird. Feed him high calorie foods that ar safe for a bird. When they are sick they need all of their heat to heal, not stay warm.