• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Not my pet, but is a livining being. Not the best photography 'cause I took it with my backup cell phone...which is very basic...and I was standing to the side. Any guesses?

What Is It.jpg

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Is it some sort of squid? :huh:

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Is it some sort of squid? :huh:
No, but it does live in the ocean, so you're on the right track. ;) Think small. I guess I should mention that the photo is of a video screen. The animal is actually under a microscope. Does that help?

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know, but I bet Carole does!

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
I didn't really expect anyone to know, not even Carole :) Life sized, it looks like a speck of dust in the water...sometimes it's best not to know what are those little bitty things floating in your water :eek: It's a larval worm, a polychaete to be precise. I think they are soooooo cool. The four little ridges at the top of the worm are actually rows of cillia that beat rapidly, like rows of little oars! (poly = many, chaete = bristles) There are about 10,000 species of polychaeta and some of them are spectacular. Here's a link with some cool pictures. Polychaeta - Encyclopedia of Life My first love is birds, but a close second is marine life :heart:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Microfauna are amazing living creatures. I am always facinated by them when I see them. As a child I was interested in protozoa. I had only a very large magnifying glass to persue this interest and there wasn't much then in books for non-scientists about microfauna. A friend of my Dad's gave me a tiny Milbin microscope so I could pursue my interest. The worlds that microscope opened up for me...WOW!

A science nerd was born!

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
The Under A Lens Exhibit is my 2nd fav to work at the aquarium, after the aviary, of course. I could happily play there all day! The staff gathers live plankton every few days, divides it into little dishes & labels the dish so us guides will be sure we know what we are talking about, & we get to look at these amazing life forms under 125x enlargement. One of my favorite things to show visitors is the beating heart in a larval crab...AWESOME. When I was young, girls didn't often think about science as a career so I studied the humanities. If I was coming though school now, I'm sure I'd have gone down the life sciences road. Happily, I get to get lots of "enrichment"--as they call continuing ed--at the aquarium. For free :)

Status
Not open for further replies.