• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What foraging treats in toys would you like to see for small birds?

What foraging treats in toys would you like to see for small birds?

• In Shell Sunflower Seeds

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Sunflower Kernels (out of shell)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Safflower Seeds

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Almond Slivers

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Pepitas/Pumpkin Seeds

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Hemp Seeds (in shell)

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Freeze Dried Fruit (Ex: Pomegranate seeds, blueberries)

• Freeze Dried Veggies (Ex: peas, corn)

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Milk Thistle Seed

• Millet

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Other Grains (wheat berries, kamut, etc)

• Something Not Listed Here (comment below, please!)

• Total voters

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So I am brainstorming and trying to see what would be a good treat to stuff into some toys for small birds that people would actually want. (I am focusing on the small guys at this time)

They would be added right before being shipped, but I would of course not want to use something that could spoil before the bird had ample time to eat it. I also want them to be healthy treats. I've added some of my ideas, but please let me know if there are ideas I haven't thought of, and vote for the ones you'd be interested in having be incorporated!

Thanks in advance!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
pumpkin seed in the shell. the only time my birds get them is in the fall when I have bought a pumpkin for Halloween.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Bump up for the morning crowd :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So far almond slivers and millet are leading the poll!

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I like the idea of hidden millet in a toy. My budgies only go nuts for millet, anything else is wasted on them lol.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I voted hemp and millet. Almost every small bird I had loved millet but also hemp. But I prefer to give them hemp, they are more healthy.
When I hide things for my birds I often hide both seed and dried carrots. Perhaps add some dried carrots to all toys so at least one thing is healthy. :D

zvezdast

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I use nutri berries.
My lovebird gets about 1/2 nutri berry a day, broken into little chunks and hidden in 5-6 foraging toys. She sometimes carries the chunk she found to a platform perch and eats it there. Since they can't hold with their feet, I found that with bigger foods they often just manage to take one bite of it, when they pull it out of the toy, and then it falls down. (unless they carry the piece someplace where it can't fall)

That being said, I would not buy toys with food already in them.
I would worry about contamination during the transport, or it getting stale due to humidity on the route, or fat (like from almonds) being absorbed in porous parts of the toy.
Also, once I receive it, I wouldn't want to store a toy with food into a box somewhere, for the similar reasons. Which would mean I would be forced to put it in the cage right away, which may not be always desirable.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I use nutri berries.
My lovebird gets about 1/2 nutri berry a day, broken into little chunks and hidden in 5-6 foraging toys. She sometimes carries the chunk she found to a platform perch and eats it there. Since they can't hold with their feet, I found that with bigger foods they often just manage to take one bite of it, when they pull it out of the toy, and then it falls down. (unless they carry the piece someplace where it can't fall)

That being said, I would not buy toys with food already in them.
I would worry about contamination during the transport, or it getting stale due to humidity on the route, or fat (like from almonds) being absorbed in porous parts of the toy.
Also, once I receive it, I wouldn't want to store a toy with food into a box somewhere, for the similar reasons. Which would mean I would be forced to put it in the cage right away, which may not be always desirable.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm getting inspiration from: http://www.parrotstreasure.com but trying to make something more suited for small birds. And my birds have never liked pine nuts. I could offer it as an option without the food without issue! :)