• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

what does this look like to you?

shesocalifornia

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina
My macaw is molting right now....but I am kinda worried because some of his feathers look abnormal....has anyone seen this before? Is this over preening?? I actually cut the two feathers off his wings that were tattered looking....they had grown out from the last wing clipping. He seems to be in good feather otherwise but I was nervous because it was after a huge event we went to and he was around a another bird. He does look better and knock it off more with a good shower. He loves showers.....

Attachments

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
They just look like roughed up feathers to me.

shesocalifornia

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina
Well he does like to stick toys on his back and in between his wings ....I moved one toy in his cage after that just in case he was roughing them up. here are some pics after I cut those two off.....his tail looked like that a little a week ago....he has a lot of new feathers coming in...I gave him a bath and he seems to be doing better. I am probably paranoid! Lol

Attachments

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
I would not cut them off but rather leave them. He will zip them up. Sometimes you might see this if the keratin sheath comes off too soon.

Wolf

Jogging around the block
This happens with feathers all of the time and is not a big deal. If you will just leave them then he will fix them when he is ready to, they just sort of zip up and are as good as new.