• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What does this cockatiel gesture mean?

RobMenace1995

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Roberto
I've had my cockatiel, Sprite, since April. I like to think we are best friends since we hang out several hours everyday. Whether it's me playing video games, doing homework/studying or just watching TV, Sprite is always on me or around me.

I still don't know if he's male of if she's female since sprite is only about 5 months years old and still shedding but I noticed something he's/she's been doing lately.
I noticed that when he relaxes around me, he puts his chest against me (mostly my arm or leg when I'm sitting) and gets all puffy and starts grinding his beak.

What does this gesture mean?

Also does sprite looks male or female to you experienced cockatiel owners? He or she is still shedding by the way.

Attachments

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Grinding his/her beak is a sign of contentment :) Usually it's done right before a nap or bedtime. Last I've heard no one knows for sure how this behavior came to be. Buts its definitely a good sign. Also you may notice he or she may start standing on one foot when he or she does it. That's perfectly normal too. Sorry i can't help with the other questions.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When you say shedding I believe the term is molting or growing new feathers. At this time a bird can be somewhat grumpy because the new feathers are encased in what we call pin feathers and they itch. Frequent baths or misting can help give relief. The casing will eventually dry and fall off. Sometimes we can roll the casing between fingers and help out, especially around the head and neck where they cannot reach. Male cockatiels have some behaviors that females do not. They do a lot more whistling and spreading of wings in a "heat shape" fashion. @Tiel Feathers can help you understand more.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Yeah since its impossible to tell the sex before the first molt , general behaviours of females are : more quiet, more cuddly . Males are : Beak tapping (rapid attack on perch) heart wings, whistling all the time to things =) Females have tiny chirps that are very low generally. There are always exceptions to the rule of course =) Dont forget to mist sprite like lady Jane said, during this stressful molt time =)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think your sweet little bird feels really content on you, and gets all close and comfortable and beak grinds because he/she wants to settle in for a nice relaxing rest! As others have suggested, misting your bird will help with the molt. Has your bird exhibited any of the male behaviors mentioned? Right now Sprite looks like a girl, but you might have to wait a bit to be sure.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I think your sweet little bird feels really content on you, and gets all close and comfortable and beak grinds because he/she wants to settle in for a nice relaxing rest! As others have suggested, misting your bird will help with the molt. Has your bird exhibited any of the male behaviors mentioned? Right now Sprite looks like a girl, but you might have to wait a bit to be sure.
Spot on. :)

I'd guess that Sprite is a girl also, but again, it's really too early to tell just by observation. As I've said so many times before, I think girl tiels are just about the sweetest birds around...;)

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Yes that is what your tiel is doing. You have a very happy and contented little bird. Bella will put her chest against my cheek and grind her beak. Another thing you will notice is that when your tiel is afraid, she will run up to you and also press her chest against you. That is a sign that she considers you her protector. But when that happens, she will be skinny and her crest will stand up. It sounds like you have a special relationship with your tiel.

RobMenace1995

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Roberto
I know that male cockatiel whistle A lot. I noticed that Sprite only whistles when I'm not in the same room. I hear him whistling when I'm in the shower but when I come back to the living room, he or she stops whistling immediately.

Another behavior that sprite does is lay upside down on his cage and spread his/her wings. So I don't know if those are clues :bounce3:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Is Sprites whistle more of a contact call, like she wants to know where you are? Both genders will do that. If the whistling is more of a cute, garbled, chattering, talking type of sound, then that would be more common of a male.

If I had the finances and space I would do a rescue for a cockatiel.
Me too!!!:heart:

RobMenace1995

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Roberto
Is Sprites whistle more of a contact call, like she wants to know where you are? Both genders will do that. If the whistling is more of a cute, garbled, chattering, talking type of sound, then that would be more common of a male.

Me too!!!:heart:
It's more like a random chattery whistle. Only when I'm away from sprite. Then I walk back to the living room and sprite stood whistling haha

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I guess he/she is going to keep you guessing!:)