• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What does everyone feed their lories

Status
Not open for further replies.

tammie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tammie
I would like to know what lory owners feed their lories? I only have 2, a goldies lorikeet and a red lory. The goldies is hanging out with his girlfriend right now. Maybe baby goldies in my future. The red lory is just weaned and he is hilarious. He rolls around on his back playing half the time. I feed RoudyBush nectar, fruits and veggies. Neither are too fond of the RoudyBush and someone on the Lory League mentioned that the RoudyBush wasn't sweet enough. Just interested in what the rest of you feed.

Jess

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jess
Well, im in the UK so obviously will have different foods available over here, there is actually quite a limited supply of nectar foods here which isnt great for lory owners. All breeders i know make up their own.

I feed the Birdcare Company Lorynectar and that seems to go down very well :D That is in the morning, then lots of fruit and veg at night. I often make up little "smoothies" that Summer loves too!

DJHartmann

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dylan
Well, im in the UK so obviously will have different foods available over here
Whereas I'm in Thailand and we have tropical fruits available all year round!! So Fruit fruit fruit for my Rainbow. He also loves corn and sunflower seeds, but not too much. I also just found a place that sold imported USA 'Lory Diet Nuggets', extremely expensive but felt he might as well be getting something else to choose from. Also Honey, but not too much (used in training). And the number 1 treat of all is mealworms, which I have breeding in tubs.

Cheeky is extremely happy and healthy!

The fruits he's getting right now are: Apples, Guavas, Rose-apples, Nashi pears, Paw-Paw, and celery. I bought a piece of each fruit today for $1.20 (all together). Go back to the market every couple of days and see what they have selling.

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
With the roudybush maybe adding a touch of honey would sweeten it up for them?

silvermuse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Annemarie & John
We normally feed Gillies Avico Lory Life Nectar during the day, organic fruits and veggies in the evening and Avico Lory Life Powder with distilled water to supplement during the other times. He's only ever had Avico since he was a baby but the company, Cuttlebone, has had trouble over the last month or so getting the ingredients from their supplier. All online stores have sold out and they don't expect shipments for at least a few more weeks. Does anyone else use Avico and are you running into this problem?

We have plenty of the powder left, but no nectar now. We were giving him the Avico gel mix, which is a bit thicker and has fruits and veggies mixed into it. We now ordered Rainbow Landing nectar, recommended in the commercial lorikeet food thread/sticky on this forum. It seemed to be the most nutritious other than Avico and is supposed to have the lowest iron content. He's going to try it for the first time tomorrow morning. :fingerscrossed: Has anyone here used this nectar?

Annemarie

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
At the rescue we feed the lories goldenfeast lory powder. It seems really nice and the lories like it.

di_dee1

Real Name
Di
I am in OZ and my son has a lori.
She is on australian formulated dry (vetafarm) nectar, many fruits and veges, loves her organic baby food fruits, goes nuts over bottlebrush flowers, other safe ones but her absolute fave thing is diced apple in watered apple juice. She doesn't mind it in tropical punch either.

Cydney

Real Name
Cydney
A lot of people on the Lorybreeder Yahoo list have been discussing the Cuttlebone issue. I think the other problem is the lack of customer service about the problem. I actually have 6lbs left but the batch is strange... very pink/red when mixed compared to normal. Kai won't eat it unless I spoon feed him.

silvermuse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Annemarie & John
Well, it's interesting to hear that everyone has had the same problem with ordering Avico. I'm not familiar with the Lorybreeder Yahoo Group (probably because I'm not a breeder :lol:) but we are on the Lory Parrot Fan Yahoo Group. Cydney, if Kai really liked the Lory Life nectar before, you should try Rainbow Landing nectar. Gillies has been eating it for a few days now and he's freaking out over it! The nutritional content is even better than Lory Life and it has the lowest iron content available. Also, it lasts much longer than Lory Life as it's more concentrated at 10 parts water to 1 part nectar vs. 5 to 1 with Lory Life. Basically, you save a good amount of money too.

You can order it direct from the company or from this trustworthy store that we shop at: Birdie Bazaar~ A One Stop Parrot and Pup Shop! The store owner offers a 12% coupon for 1st time buyers "newbuyer" and for any order of any size, 12% with "thankyou".

We're really happy to have found this nectar for Gillies. We think this may even be the same nectar that Busch Gardens theme park uses for their lories. Geez, I should just ask them for a job as a marketing rep! :hehe:

Annemarie

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I feed Passwell's Complete Lorikeet as the staple, with fresh fruit & veggies as extra. English spinach leaves & corn on the cob are big favourites.

tammie

Real Name
Tammie
Thanks so much for everyone's input. I was thinking about ordering the Avico. I've read about it on other forms, but I've changed my mind on that. Will look for the Rainbow Landing. My little guy is not crazy about fruits, corn, pellets, etc. He loves his nectar mixed with water or mango juice, and he also will not eat the nectar dry. He's only 6 months old so maybe he'll change soon.

DJHartmann

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dylan
Just an update on Cheeky, he now totally refuses to eat zupreem Lori diet. Wet, dry
, or wet mixed with honey. Hates the stuff! So fresh fruit is his main diet with sunflowers and mealworms on the side. The parrot university at Hartman Aviary has the circus diet which they recommend, I might try that for fun.

silvermuse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Annemarie & John
Thanks so much for everyone's input. I was thinking about ordering the Avico. I've read about it on other forms, but I've changed my mind on that. Will look for the Rainbow Landing. My little guy is not crazy about fruits, corn, pellets, etc. He loves his nectar mixed with water or mango juice, and he also will not eat the nectar dry. He's only 6 months old so maybe he'll change soon.
Hey Tammie! If you're thinking of ordering the Rainbow Landing nectar, you should wait for another couple of weeks. The owner of the company is waiting for the new batch to be complete, which doesn't include ethoxyquin (a preservative/pesticide). There are a couple of other threads about that ingredient. After many emails back and forth with the owner, I'm much more informed now and confident that they will have the new nectar by the 2nd week of February. They will be adding a sticker to the package that states that the ingredient isn't included. I just checked and they have now deleted that ingredient from the nutrition page of their website.

Gillies has been back eating his Avico Lory Life for the last couple of weeks and he does like it. It's just that he would DEVOUR the Rainbow Landing. :hehe: Also to be noted, the shop I mentioned above may not be selling the Rainbow Landing after all as the company now says they do not supply to any resellers. The owner of Birdie Bazaar is still in talks with the company to see if there's any way they can work something out. Until then, you'll have to order from Rainbow Landing directly - www.rainbowlanding.com

I also want to say, Avico Lory Life is the nectar that Gillies has been eating for the first year of life and he has always liked it. It's definitely a wonderful nectar and I have really nothing bad to say about it. He will always continue to have their powder nectar handy and the occasional fruit gel nectar. My only problem with them was that they stopped making and selling the nectar for an extended period of time and no one was able to order it. We had to have a backup to feed him and that's where Rainbow Landing came in.

Annemarie

Last edited:

tammie

Real Name
Tammie
Thanks Annemarie for all the information. It's confusing feeding these little guys, as I have mostly large parrots. But I'm finding lories to be so fun and they keep me laughing.

silvermuse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Annemarie & John
They are a hoot Tammie. :D I don't have a feel for how they are, personality-wise, compared to other birds. Gillies is our only fid. Have to say, between him and our Australian Shepherd, we have quite the characters in our household. :lol:

Annemarie

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
I feed Quiko, Roudybush, or Zupreem nectar. I try to stay away from the Zupreem brand, it seems to make Cosmo's poop more like cement than the other two brands do.

OldBirdLady1983

Real Name
Pickle
This is way off topic but Noodle is stunning! What type of Lory is he?

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
I'm using Goldenfeast's Lorikeet powder currently, supplemented with fruit and vegetables, and fruit juice.

NZ michael

Strolling the yard
Real Name
michael
I use Best Bird Wet an Dry Lorikeet mix fruit and vegetables an Banksia nectar Lorikeet Treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.