• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do you think I am, a BIRD?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
During our hangout time before bed, I was trying to encourage Rupert to use his wings. My goal is for him to realize that he can go wherever he pleases, starting with a really short flight down from the play table to the bedspread. He should have zero problems getting from point A to B by himself. But will he?

I try tossing him gently on to the bedspread - no go. He clung steadfastly to my hand. This goes on for a minute.

Ok, regroup and try tossing him again - he takes flight this time and doesn't touch the bedspread. Instead, he does a quick little U-turn and lands on the top of his sleep cage.

3rd attempt, another U-turn, but he flies behind me and lands on the open door of his flight cage.

At this point, he won't step up for the perch anymore because flying is just not something a bird does. He would rather be limited by what he can climb or walk to. :rolleyes:

Keep in mind that this is the same bird who does the "I'm gonna fly!" pose every time he wants to go somewhere, but he just won't.

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
During our hangout time before bed, I was trying to encourage Rupert to use his wings. My goal is for him to realize that he can go wherever he pleases, starting with a really short flight down from the play table to the bedspread. He should have zero problems getting from point A to B by himself. But will he?

I try tossing him gently on to the bedspread - no go. He clung steadfastly to my hand. This goes on for a minute.

Ok, regroup and try tossing him again - he takes flight this time and doesn't touch the bedspread. Instead, he does a quick little U-turn and lands on the top of his sleep cage.

3rd attempt, another U-turn, but he flies behind me and lands on the open door of his flight cage.

At this point, he won't step up for the perch anymore because flying is just not something a bird does. He would rather be limited by what he can climb or walk to. :rolleyes:

Keep in mind that this is the same bird who does the "I'm gonna fly!" pose every time he wants to go somewhere, but he just won't.
:lol:I mean it’s OBVIOUSLY your job to carry him wherever his heart desires. :hehe:;)

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
:cautious:Sometimes if I’m being hailed for my taxi service and I don’t respond because I’m busy, Yoshi will take a leap of faith in my direction and since he came to us with his wings clipped and they have not grown out yet he will land on the floor.

He knows I will then always stop what I’m doing to come pick him up because I don’t want him on the floor where he could potentially be stepped on. Smart but very cheeky. :lol:

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Tootie has grown a few flight feathers since coming home with us, and will flap like crazy and fly short bursts if we try to ask him to step up or anything... He flies like he weighs 10,000lbs! He'll only step up if he crash lands on the floor like "Alright, human, place me back onto an acceptable surface!"

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
If you arent flying, why should he? ;)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Best argument ever! :D

I think he is teasing you. :p
"I know what to have this for, but no, I don't want to use them, but they are beautiful isn't they?"

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
It’s just a ruse to get your love and attention I’m sure! Humans... are we so different! :rolleyes:

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

why fly when your it's walking talking uber driver!?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
LOL oh man, I just don't get it. Jingo, Bobber and Koopa would fly EVERYWHERE and even for fun. Even Gizmo would fly to come see me.

Ripley is an avocado unless something scares him :lol: He does the "i'm going to do it!" pose and then...never does.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
:cautious:Sometimes if I’m being hailed for my taxi service and I don’t respond because I’m busy, Yoshi will take a leap of faith in my direction and since he came to us with his wings clipped and they have not grown out yet he will land on the floor.

He knows I will then always stop what I’m doing to come pick him up because I don’t want him on the floor where he could potentially be stepped on. Smart but very cheeky. :lol:
:hilarious: What a mess!

I do not have hollow bones, wings, feathers, nor the coordination for flight. :unsure1:

Best argument ever! :D

I think he is teasing you. :p
"I know what to have this for, but no, I don't want to use them, but they are beautiful isn't they?"
I'm biased, but I think his flight feathers are just beautiful. I love that shade of blue!

LOL oh man, I just don't get it. Jingo, Bobber and Koopa would fly EVERYWHERE and even for fun. Even Gizmo would fly to come see me.

Ripley is an avocado unless something scares him :lol: He does the "i'm going to do it!" pose and then...never does.
Exactly!!! The times he does get spooked and flies, he's actually quite graceful. He doesn't crash anymore and can even bank pretty well. This is the first bird that I've had like this.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Sounds just like Sunset. She’s always poised, ready to take flight, which in her mind means I’ll come get her and fly her where she wants to go!:lol:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Honestly, if a friendly giant fed me and carried me around I wouldn't be in such a hurry either :sneaky:
Lol....mabel: "check this out jeff, I got the giant trained!!"
"turn left big giant, now go straight, see the bird food treats?
Get us one!! No, not that one, the other one! See jeff, it's easy!"
Lol!

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lol....mabel: "check this out jeff, I got the giant trained!!"
"turn left big giant, now go straight, see the bird food treats?
Get us one!! No, not that one, the other one! See jeff, it's easy!"
Lol!
Mabel's positive reinforcement: do as we say and we'll let you scritch our perfect heads!

Negative reinforcement: if you don't do as I say we'll poop on everything you love!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'm so enjoying this thread, it so reminds me of he who shouldn't be mentioned (because he's asleep, so tired after being carried to his cage).

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I'm so enjoying this thread, it so reminds me of he who shouldn't be mentioned (because he's asleep, so tired after being carried to his cage).
The poor baby! You should be ashamed!