• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do you do when a bird divorces you?

greytlove

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
A pet shop in the area has had their B&G macaw the entirety of its life-- about 17 years. Apparently three years ago, Bailey the macaw decided to "divorce the owner" and started screaming like a banshee any time she came near.

She's tried rehoming it once to another shop in the area, but after six months, they returned him.

He's a sweet, moody boy. I got to witness his screaming once, and I ended up putting my headphones in while I shopped for dog food... lol

What would you do if your bird divorced you?

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Wait till he decides he loves, likes, or even tolerates me. And try to figure out what prompted this behavior. One of mine “divorced” his roommate - chunked his feet, screamed bloody murder, threw food constantly, banged his toys on the cage non stop ... this went on for weeks until I moved him to his own room. He was jealous of the “baby” and I eventually roomed him with a bird that was more his temperament and they got along fine.

greytlove

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Wait till he decides he loves, likes, or even tolerates me. And try to figure out what prompted this behavior. One of mine “divorced” his roommate - chunked his feet, screamed bloody murder, threw food constantly, banged his toys on the cage non stop ... this went on for weeks until I moved him to his own room. He was jealous of the “baby” and I eventually roomed him with a bird that was more his temperament and they got along fine.
See, this is what I would do. I wonder how much of his screaming is because he literally lives at the shop. I try not to be judgmental but I also feel for the bird in question. :/

That said, I know the owners are good friends with a well respected bird/animal trainer... so :shocked4: I don't know if they've tried everything else in their power.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I read on another post when someone's bird got moody at them and it was because they shaved!
Sometimes it can be the smallest change that could upset them and I don't think every owner has the patience to figure it out.

My love love love U2 who I’ve had the longest wasn’t very happy with me when he got glasses. It took her a bit but she’s fine now.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
After 17 years in a pet shop I would be the biggest b*tch around too. Seriously.

Marriage is a two way street. If a parrot wants to divorce you, you must be one pathetic partner. Again. Seriously.

Weelasmaree

Strolling the yard

My love love love U2 who I’ve had the longest wasn’t very happy with me when he got glasses. It took her a bit but she’s fine now.

My tiel, Gromit, loves trying to take my glasses off. I try not to wear them around him just because I end up with scratches on my face. :joyful:

greytlove

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
After 17 years in a pet shop I would be the biggest b*tch around too. Seriously.

Marriage is a two way street. If a parrot wants to divorce you, you must be one pathetic partner. Again. Seriously.
This is hilarious and depressing.

Next question... do I want to adopt a divorcee?! lol

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
This just dawned on me. I guess in this case, Sam started seeing me while his former owner was still around but after I bought him a cage, toys, and good food, he "divorced" her (lunging, battlebird, etc) so... would that make me a mistress??

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
A pet shop in the area has had their B&G macaw the entirety of its life-- about 17 years. Apparently three years ago, Bailey the macaw decided to "divorce the owner" and started screaming like a banshee any time she came near.

She's tried rehoming it once to another shop in the area, but after six months, they returned him.

He's a sweet, moody boy. I got to witness his screaming once, and I ended up putting my headphones in while I shopped for dog food... lol

What would you do if your bird divorced you?
I don't think its so much as divorcing the owner....Pet shop environments are always going through constant changes....people coming going, different animals, different color toys for sale, different smells ( The person who ate a couple xtra large bean burritos at taco bell before visiting the pet store, and passes wind next to parrot cage)…. There's all kinds of variables there.
And the parrot finally screams and has had enough. Truth be told...She/he's unhappy.

Last edited: