• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What did you soak or sprout this week?

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Post what you soaked & fed or sproutes this week. Was it new? Did your fid try it?

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I soaked & fed a few New seeds this week.

Chia, Sweet pepper
I'm not sure if Buddy tried them, but they were in his bowl today

For tomorrow, I'm soaking flaxseed, lentils, safflower seed & brown rice. As long as I don't forget to add it, I will add Camomile to it all & mix.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I soaked Sprout People's Madison Mix, for me, but Galahad got a couple pepitas. I also sprouted red clover for the birds and currently I have sprouting Sprout People's San Francisco Mix, which I'll share with the birds (minus the peanuts.) I ordered one of their bird mixes and was going to get it going soon, too :D

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I ordered some sprouts from Avian Organics. Can't wait to see what the crew thinks of them!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I soaked Sprout People's Madison Mix, for me, but Galahad got a couple pepitas. I also sprouted red clover for the birds and currently I have sprouting Sprout People's San Francisco Mix, which I'll share with the birds (minus the peanuts.) I ordered one of their bird mixes and was going to get it going soon, too :D
These sound yummy!

I ordered some sprouts from Avian Organics. Can't wait to see what the crew thinks of them!
I just bought some Tru Roots lentil sprouts to have as a backup in case of a crop faliure. Buddy really seems to prefer fresh.

Sunflower

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone,

I am also sprouting lentils, fenugreek and wheat for my Quaker birdie who’s 1. He loves sprouted fenugreek and wheat. Is it ok to feed Quaker parrots with sprouts everyday? How much do you guys give them?

Thanks

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Normal: yellow/green lentils, quinoa(lovebird likes), sesame, mung bean(fav of the sun conures), barley
Trying: Adzuki Beans
Wanting to add fenugreek when I can find some locally. Everything I buy has been bought from my local grocery store.

Still sproating, we'll see who likes the new bean.

Last edited:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi everyone,

I am also sprouting lentils, fenugreek and wheat for my Quaker birdie who’s 1. He loves sprouted fenugreek and wheat. Is it ok to feed Quaker parrots with sprouts everyday? How much do you guys give them?

Thanks
I feed Buddy a mix of things. He's a Zon but I don't think that really matters as long as they're eating what you are feeding them.

Buddy gets:
Mostly sprouts in the morning. I always try to add in a flavoring of a spice or org. tea, & his heart smart seeds of ground flax & ground hemp seed. (Occasionally he gets a little chia seed here)

He gets fresh veggies & fruits for his dinnertime (mostly veggies)

He gets a seed time after that, this is a very small amount about a teaspoon or 2's worth. About 4-6 pieces of dried whole corn & a few pieces of dried fruit. 1 nut or 2 pine nuts. I almost always alternate the Chia seed between morning & here... & also added seseme seed here.

I have changed this slowly over time. I just bought some beans this week. If I can get Buddy to eat them consistantly, (not fond of beans, so far) I contemplate adding more sprouts in, since they're so good for him.

Now this was a diet that he was changed over too from what appeared to be a complete seed diet. I'm still changing & adjusting.

I think if you can get them to eat a well rounded diet they get a little something from each of those items. I bought some new seeds that should be here @ the end of the week. I will share when I sprout them. :)

@CrazyBirdChick , @Hjarta5

Any issues w/ a quaker getting too many sprouts that you know about?

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Normal: yellow/green lentils, quinoa(lovebird likes), sesame, mung bean(fav of the sun conures), barley
Trying: Adzuki Beans
Wanting to add fenugreek when I can find some locally. Everything I buy has been bought from my local grocery store.

Still sproating, we'll see who likes the new bean.

What a nice mix! I'm having a problem w/ the seseme seeds... I bought them from the area where there were spices in the baking area. They're not toasted... Will not sprout, is it possible I got an old batch or did I buy it from the wrong area?

This week we did seeds:
Pumpkin, Sunflower & Safflower

Today we started w/ beans & peas
Little red beans (no adzuki but I read these are the same)
Black eyed peas

I am going to probably do a seed again maybe safflower (I just bought 10 lbs) :wideyed:

Maybe some lentils.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I'm going to try a soak tomorrow millet, spelt, lentils, black beans ,chia, a tiny bit of hemp hearts ground flaxseed and steel cut oats. I bought broccoli and power greens today. Maybe some pumpkin seeds too. I'll cook the beans and add the oats in the end of cooking process. I need to find some new versions of chop/ soak/ grain for the little grey boy. Hmm I have one carrot left in garden maybe that will go in too. Maybe some brown rice too.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
An avian sprout mix from the sprout people.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Any issues w/ a quaker getting too many sprouts that you know about?
Is it ok to feed Quaker parrots with sprouts everyday? How much do you guys give them?
I dont know as I find it hard to find anything definitive and specific to quakers, unfortunately, but I would love to hear others opinion on the issue. I generally believe that their food choices should vary so theres no concentrate of any one thing, but I have nothing scientific to base this on. Wally does have access to sprouts everyday, in both wet and dry forms, but proportionally its much less than the pellets and veggies/fruit that shes given. Id say my rough ratios are: 2/5 mixed pellets, 2/5 veggies/fruits, and 1/5 sprouts/legumes.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
My quaker gets sprouts every single day (the mid and small bird mix from sproutpeople) and he just had his annual exam at the vet. He's a perfect weight, no fat in the blood. and all other tests came out perfect. So I'd think sprouts everyday is fine. He also eats a small amount of pellets, and veggies and fruits, a bit of nuts, and 1 nutiberry and 1 avicake but I think he eats more sprouts than anything

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Cooked beans, lentils and chickpeas, spelt, millet, chia yesterday. Blanched broccoli, carrots and cooked brown rice spaghetti today. Will allow everything to chill over and make up birdie bento boxes tomorrow for the freezer.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
These guys get a sprouts twice a day every day (plus fruit, veggies and some cooked things in the evening). I make my own organic sprouting mix which includes: mung beans, aduki beans, garbanzos, peas, lentils (green and brown), wheat, kamut, rye, spelt, buckwheat, radish, quinoa, sesame, sunflower, pumpkin, and soaked hemp since it doesn't sprout. Experimenting with leaving the peas to grow into small plants to see if they will eat them.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I'm going to try a soak tomorrow millet, spelt, lentils, black beans ,chia, a tiny bit of hemp hearts ground flaxseed and steel cut oats. I bought broccoli and power greens today. Maybe some pumpkin seeds too. I'll cook the beans and add the oats in the end of cooking process. I need to find some new versions of chop/ soak/ grain for the little grey boy. Hmm I have one carrot left in garden maybe that will go in too. Maybe some brown rice too.
This what I did with the beans and other stuff I soaked. Video - Birdy Bento Boxes | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Oh my goodness! What a sweety. :xflove:

:marlenesmile:That's a beautiful little plate! :marlenesmile:
Now do you add a topping? Today, I added ground hemp & ground flax & chia seeds + oregano. His beak has smelled like pasta every time I kissed it. :pinklol2:
That is a good idea! I have some sneaky sprinkles from @Nikomania and will do it up next time :)