• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent What could be causing the feathers around her eye to fall out?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Is she molting? How long have they been gone? (And welcome to the forum!)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Mites? Or is the other bird over preening her? These are WAGs.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Yes. Some kind of irritation and the bird is scratching it with the foot or an injury/accident or done by another bird.

Popcorn Winky

Moving in
Real Name
Heather
Is she molting? How long have they been gone? (And welcome to the forum!)
Well, I just started using this featherbrite light, but for only 1 hr max and even at increments, so I thought maybe not being used to the UV maybe prompted a early molt? I did notice a few new looking feathers on her head?? Not sure. I just noticed it today, this morning. Thanks and I'm happy to find you guys!!

Popcorn Winky

Moving in
Real Name
Heather
I thought mites... I don't much about mites but from the images i see on the internet, it doesn't seem like mites, but it could be a possibility. The other bird def could be preening her. I see him preening her tail feathers all the time... Thanks for your reply!

Popcorn Winky

Moving in
Real Name
Heather
Yes. Some kind of irritation and the bird is scratching it with the foot or an injury/accident or done by another bird.
An irritation was the first thing that came to mind actually. Very well her foot could have scratched it. I watched her all day and her eye looks like its not getting any worse. Depending on how she looks in the morning, I will have to take her to the vet. I would have today, right when I saw what was going on, but she is sitting on a nest of 3 babies that are less then 10 days old. Thank you for your response!

zvezdast

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Another Austinite here saying :hello1:
:hi::meet::greet13::highfive:
I hope your birdie if just molting fast or overpreened - I know mine has been scratching like crazy lately with all the new feathers coming in.

Popcorn Winky

Moving in
Real Name
Heather
Another Austinite here saying :hello1:
:hi::meet::greet13::highfive:
I hope your birdie if just molting fast or overpreened - I know mine has been scratching like crazy lately with all the new feathers coming in.
Well, good news! she is looking better today and not worse, so maybe it was not a big deal after all. Def will keep a watch though. I just know from past misfortunate situations, these little ones can decline rather quickly.