• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What can I do next?

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Alright. It's been almost 8 months since Thomas Red Bellied has been here. He used to be afraid of hands. Not so much anymore. I've succeeded in getting him to hop on my hand using BOTH two feet in exchange for some cupid cookies. They are VERY HIGH value treats in his eyes. It is quite funny because when he sees the cookies he loses all rationale and hops on in a hurry for his cookie, then suddenly looks down to realize that he's on my wrist and quickly hops off.:lol:I always hold very still while he hops about on me not sure about whether to go or stay.

It's big progress for us. What can I do next to bring it to the next level. :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
First, before you go on, :party2:

Yes! I do believe you're right and I do deserve a party!:lol:

Thomas has been a big challenge for me in all kinds of ways. His arrival here was quite sudden and not anticipated. I didn't know he'd be a hands off parrot along with the other stuff I've shared about him, and last of all.. my 4th parrot, so an additional cage to wash on a regular basis...:lol:

Last edited:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
You are doing great Saemma. The most important thing you are doing is not moving your hand. This breaks a lot of trust and slows down training but it's a common mistake. The bird steps up and the owner whisks the bird away from their safety zone and takes away the choice to step back off. Keep doing what you are doing. Keep your hand there and if possible, feed as he steps up and feed a big enough piece that he might stay on to each eat it. Or, offer another piece, just as he finishes. Eventually, you will find that he won't step off:)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You are doing great Saemma. The most important thing you are doing is not moving your hand. This breaks a lot of trust and slows down training but it's a common mistake. The bird steps up and the owner whisks the bird away from their safety zone and takes away the choice to step back off. Keep doing what you are doing. Keep your hand there and if possible, feed as he steps up and feed a big enough piece that he might stay on to each eat it. Or, offer another piece, just as he finishes. Eventually, you will find that he won't step off:)

Thanks Vicki! :dance4: Oh yes! Will work at that! Now I have to find a way to hold on to two piece in one hand but only offer them one at a time!!:p

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I am teaching a mechanical skills dog training class and we are covering that. Too bad you are far away:) Try putting treats into your hand and others then use your thumb and first finger to roll another one down and deliver. Practice without Thomas first!

Thanks Vicki! :dance4: Oh yes! Will work at that! Now I have to find a way to hold on to two piece in one hand but only offer them one at a time!!:p

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
PARTY!!! :party:

Ok, if you're still using the cookies as a lure (ie. he can see them before he hops on), I would say the next step is to slowly, slowly begin to hide the piece of cookie in your hand. That way he begins to concentrate on the behaviour (stepping up) instead of trying to reach the cookie, realising where he is and hopping off. What ya want to do is make that piece of cookie the consequence to the behaviour rather than the antecedent. ;) After that you can slowly increase the amount of time (in seconds) that you have him wait before reinforcing the behaviour with the piece of cookie. :cool1:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
PARTY!!! :party:

Ok, if you're still using the cookies as a lure (ie. he can see them before he hops on), I would say the next step is to slowly, slowly begin to hide the piece of cookie in your hand. That way he begins to concentrate on the behaviour (stepping up) instead of trying to reach the cookie, realising where he is and hopping off. What ya want to do is make that piece of cookie the consequence to the behaviour rather than the antecedent. ;) After that you can slowly increase the amount of time (in seconds) that you have him wait before reinforcing the behaviour with the piece of cookie. :cool1:
:eek: Oooh! I'm up to the challenge! :dance4:THanks Fuzzy, but how? How can I make my hand seem attractive without him seeing the cookie in advance?

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
He needs to build a LOT of positive association of your hand = good things, that is why the feeding while on the hand.

:eek: Oooh! I'm up to the challenge! :dance4:THanks Fuzzy, but how? How can I make my hand seem attractive without him seeing the cookie in advance?

juliashmulia

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julia
I don't have anything helpful to add, but I wanna see pictures of Thomas! :p I love Red Bellies!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He needs to build a LOT of positive association of your hand = good things, that is why the feeding while on the hand.

Alright. Will do.:hug8:and then move on to hiding cookie in hand like Fuzzy suggested. Thanks guys. You guys are awesome!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am teaching a mechanical skills dog training class and we are covering that. Too bad you are far away:) Try putting treats into your hand and others then use your thumb and first finger to roll another one down and deliver. Practice without Thomas first!
Thank you Vicki. Will see if I have dexterity starting tomorrow.:lol:

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz

:lol: You're so funny! Show him the cookie as you always have done but very slowly start to cover it with your fingers... until eventually some days later he can't see it at all. He'll know it's there but he can't see it. Once in a while you might have to show it to him again to kick start the behaviour, but with practice he'll still step up for you and he'll trust it's there because he gets reinforced with it every time. You'll be surprised how quick the learning goes once you get rid of the lure/bribe. ;)

Thomas is a real cutie pie! :heart:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Fuzzy!:heart:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:eek:

:omg: Vicki, Fuzzy!! We did it! We just did it! Thomas and I made more progress because I followed your instructions today!!!!:dance4::dance4:

I offered him some cupid cookie from inside the cage, he hopped on to my fist and snatched it from me. Before he could hop off I showed him I had another piece.

:eek: He was so surprised to see more cookie and actually chose to remain on my wrist to eat the first treat then reached for the second treat and moved from my wrist up my forearm to finish eating it.:dance4: Once done, he stopped and stared at my hand for a few seconds to see if another treat would magically appear...:lol:....but of course I didn't have anything left.. so of course he promptly hopped off.:o:

:dance5:Who cares!!! He hopped on me and stayed for more than 2 seconds!! Perhaps this time he was on me for 10-12 seconds and he's never made contact with my forearm before either!!:dance1:I'm so proud of us that I don't even mind using these corny icons to show just how much!! Thank you so much!!:chickendance: Will continue doing this for the next few weeks!!:dance5:

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
This is so exciting and encouraging