• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What bird is suitable for me?

MaliMoto

Meeting neighbors
Have you ever gone on travel and taken her with you? If so how did she BellaBelle react? I know a parrot's persoanlity will affect hwo it reacts but how was your personal experience? If any one else has taken parrots on a trip as well, how did they react?
This is really more of an individual personality trait than breed trait, and I think most birds love adventure. What kind of travel do you want to do with the bird?

Also, @Menagerie Mama did such a good job describing the green cheeks, she almost convinced me that I need another! Those turquoise ones did always get me, haha!

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
Have you ever gone on travel and taken her with you? If so how did she BellaBelle react? I know a parrot's persoanlity will affect hwo it reacts but how was your personal experience? If any one else has taken parrots on a trip as well, how did they react?
I have not yet taken her on a roadtrip. One of the reasons I decided I was ready for a companion bird is that I haven't taken an actual vacation in years...I am self-employed and semi-retired at 45 so, my life filled with free time, hiking, gardening and animals and IS a vacation in my book, but I can't afford to go away.

I have been taking BellaBelle outside...on the deck in her cage and around town in her carrier for what socialization I can, and hope to try a short visit to some family this summer.

MaliMoto

Meeting neighbors
When I had my senegal, I taught him to accept a harness. That way I could safely take him on walks and trips to the park, farmers markets, etc without worrying about him spooking at something and trying to take off (he was clipped but they can still catch a breeze, or land on the floor and get stepped on, etc, in a crowd). I also taught him to take to different cages as well. I had a smaller bird cage I'd use as a travel cage. I would take it with me if I went home to my parents for the weekend and he came along. I took him on a road trip from Chicago to Orlando, FL once. He was great and we loved it!

It's just a matter of socializing and slow, positive associations so that they can become environmentally stable. A good bond with you is important too.

Loppy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jen
Were you able to get out to the shelters, Mohammed? I'm really curious to know how it went for you! And, @Menagerie Mama really did do a good job describing the GCC. I enjoy my play dates with my friends' Conure, and they really are a joy to watch and interact with. They're big birds in small packages, and have wonderful personalities. (They're on my list of potential birds for me when I'm ready and/or able to be the owned human of a bird again.) Though, they can be nippy when going through puberty, but other than that, they're sweethearts. Now, keep in mind, this is my experience with ONE individual GCC, so others may very well be much different. But, regardless of the bird you go home with, a strong bond is important. Good luck finding the bird that's perfect for you!

Zellie

Moving in
Hi, I know you said medium bird but I'd suggest a lovebird, green cheek conure, or white or canary winged parakeet. The white winged is a small parrot that is friendly feisty but still sweet. Trainable, can talk a bit, loves people, easy to care for. However you could easily adopt a lovebird or conure and give a bird a home. White wings are not very common. Good luck

echobird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
all birds are different. I have a lovely gcc. Gccs are known for being nippy. Mine is nippy but only when he has a reason to be. You must watch their body language. Other than that they are awesome. You said you do not want a nippy bird but you may get lucky.
I would advise against a caique. From what i have heard they are very demanding when it comes to attention and that if you want one you should get two. From all the caique babies I met that seems to be true. Thry are adorable and clownish and are my dream bird but I wouldnt get one unless I have much more time to spend(and i am home most if the timr) and money (they are pricey and since your budget is 2k half of that would be used on simply purchasing the bird).
I would recommend a meyers parrot. Adorable, laid back, cuddly, babies. I met a few and fell in love. They are also, from what I hear, generally quiet.
Meet all the birds at the recues and youll click with at least one. Who knows you might just bring home something totally unexpected.
Good luck and update soon!

SueA555

Real Name
Sue Anderson
Green cheek conures are great pets. I had two, and they played and amused me all the time. They loved baths in the sink. Mine never bit.

No one else has mentioned this but a cat is not a great idea when you have a bird.