• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What bird is suitable for me?

Mohammed Khan

Moving in
Real Name
Mohammed Khan
Hopefully, this is the right place for me to talk about this topic. First of all, I am a 13 year old boy who would like to own a pet parrot. I had budgies before which is my experience before with birds and I have researched a lot about birds. Next year my family will be moving to our own house so my parents said they would allow me to get a parrot and a cat. I would like to know what bird would be good for me based on the following info
-I spend 7-8 hours in school, and will spend time with my bird as I do my HW and give extra care over the weekend
-I can spend about 30 minutes cleaning everyday
-I don't want a nippy species of bird or one that gets too aggressive during its "puberty"
-My budget is about 2000 dollars
-A medium sized bird

Please don't recommend budgies or cockatiels I want something that is a bit larger and more advanced.
Thanks for all help. :)

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My concern is what are you going to do when you're out of school and entering college etc super busy? A medium parrot will live a long life and still need attention. Will you still have it to give?

Mohammed Khan

Moving in
Real Name
Mohammed Khan
My concern is what are you going to do when you're out of school and entering college etc super busy? A medium parrot will live a long life and still need attention. Will you still have it to give?
I plan to go a local college like Columbia college and I won't be the only caretaker my dad is another animal fanatic and will be the other caretaker so no matter what the bird can count on my dad to care for it and so.

Cockatoo-Dust

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
I am the same age as you, but i am homeschooled so i can't help with what kind of bird would fit in your free time. :bag:

Does the budget also include the cost of the cage, toys, and the veterinary check to make sure it is healthy?
If so you should decide what kind of bird you want, buy a cage, toys, etc, and then get the bird.

Where do you plan to get the bird? Breeder? Craigslist? A rescue?

I plan to go a local college
Will you still be living in your house? or will you move into a dorm despite living close by?
I have decided i am not going to college so i can't help with very much. I've also been told by my parents that college doesn't even last all day like middle school does, and i don't even know if that is true. :p

Please don't recommend budgies or cockatiels I want something that is a bit larger and more advanced.
The bigger the bird the louder their noise, mess, and cage is. :eek: What is wrong with budgies or cockatiels?
I understand you want something more challenging.
First thing i thought of was a conure, but i don't own one, so i don't know if they are nippy or go crazy when they mature. I only have small birds and a large bird so i have limited experience with other species. :)
Maybe you should get a lovebird?
They are not a medium sized bird, but they are very friendly 99% of the time and can be considered advanced to some people. :D
I wanted something more challenging as well and i got a U2! I don't recommend getting a U2 if you have to go to school or college- and you said you wanted a medium bird so a U2 is out of the question anyway. ;)

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
If dad is on board then the two of you should find a local rescue and volunteer a few weekends. Spend time with different species and get incredibly valuable hands on reality of birds, their care, behavior and such. Never know you might have the most suitable bird wanting to follow you home!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
If your parents are 100% behind you, and have no problem taking on the care of the bird as needed, then you've many, many species to look at.

Any bird can be nippy, that's just something you'll have to decide if you can handle. Not all will be, but it's a gamble as you'll not know until you get nipped.

Most parrots do have hormonal times. As a parrot owner you'll learn to respect and handle your bird with caution during these times. Some parrots never show changes, others do hugely. Once again, you just don't know what each individual bird will do until it happens.

Some of the amazons are fantastic birds to own. They're not needy, very comical and social. Some can get fiesty with hormones, but there are some that are known for being gentler.
White Fronted, Green Cheeks, Mealys, Lilac Crowns, these all all Amazons worth considering.
Pionus are another medium size parrot that might fit you and your family.
There's the Maximilian, Bronze Wing, Dusky, and Blue Headed. I'd have any of these birds in a second.
Some of the conures could work well too. My favorite is the larger Blue Crown Conure.
There are the Poi's, but I'm not too familiar with them. I'm sure another here can tell you alittle about them.
I'd not suggest any of the Cockatoos, Macaws (perhaps mini's might work), Caiques or African Greys. IMO these parrots aren't the best for what you're looking for.

If I was you I'd start researching online some of these species and see if any of them really attract you.
If there are any parrot rescues not too far from you, that's a great place to meet birds and learn more about them. It's possible you may even be a good match for one they have.

Keep asking questions, and educating yourself.

A bird now will be a companion for many years to come. Make sure you can really dedicate yourself to the length of time these birds live.
Realize that you may have to make concessions in your own life to make a parrot happy. They are not an easy animal to own. They take work, and time.
For those who find parrots are for them, they are an unending delight.

Mohammed Khan

Moving in
Real Name
Mohammed Khan
So sorry for the late response guys. I appreciate all your advice. Unfortunately living in NYC means there is a severe lack of breeders and so. I've done some research on the species you guys have provided and would a sun conure, pionus, green cheek conure, or Hahn's macaw suit me? Though from what I've read Hahn's are nippy. I've also done research and maybe would a blue and gold macaw be possible?
It would be with me out of its cage whenever I'm home to make up for the lost time at school and so but this is just a thought. I don't want to be an adamant ignoramus who knows nothing about macaws and gets one still so please provide some advice.
Thanks. :)

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Are you set on getting a baby from a breeder? I met my macaw at a rescue and we rather fell in love with each other - and I'd never planned on a macaw before I met him. You've gotten some great advice above, another great thing about a rescue is that you can hear the birds at their loudest and figure out if you can handle it. Even if you don't take a rescue bird home, visiting one can be a good experience. Research is always good but, it really does vary from bird to bird, Sam is actually very quiet for a macaw, he doesn't get loud very often but that's not the average expectation. A friend of mine has a Blue and Gold and my goodness is she loud, and consistently loud. It's always good to be prepared--I bought every book I could find on macaws after I first met Sam--but also realize that you might not get what you expect when you meet them.

I though you were looking at medium birds? Blue and Golds are pretty big birds, 2000 might not go that far with one of those guys (once you factor the cage, the feed, the perches, the toys and potential future vet bills). They also have BIG voices, Sam can get really loud, his loudness doesn't bother me and with distant neighbors, it doesn't matter. How good are you with loud noises, what is your range? Biggest thing I would suggest is listening to the loudest your top birds can get in person if at all possible.

But that's just my two cents.
Best of luck in your search! :) Breeder or rescue, there are some awesome birds out there!

Mohammed Khan

Moving in
Real Name
Mohammed Khan
Thanks for the advice Okottahige and personal experience tips. I know macaws will be way more advanced than smaller parrot, as it'll be in a sense an exotic "dog," and the costs will be double what a conure or so would cost, and even though I originally said I'm interested in a smaller parrot after more research I think I'd like to get a macaw. Based on the criteria I provided above do you think I am fit to own a macaw? Nice drawing btw. Also, have you ever gotten bitten by Sam and if so how painful was it?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
A macaw is a lot of bird. Their cage will take up a large part of one room (mine is 4'x3'), and that's minimum size for a macaw, a double cage is better. Then you'll need at least one large play stand, I have 4, these stands are usually made from large trees that are bolted to a base. They are a must for a bird that chews like a macaw. If no stand, your baseboards...furniture...windowsills...etc.. will be their chew toys when out. My macaw bit my wooden kitchen chair into kindling one day when I wasn't watching close enough.

Macaw toys are EXPENSIVE. They can cost anywhere from 20 bucks for a simple toy, to 50 bucks for a normal toy, and upwards from that, for macaws that chew a lot. Mine is a moderate chewer. You can make some toys, but you'll still need to purchase the large wooden pieces and chain for them. Macaws can go through a large toy in days if they want.

Many macaws become one person birds, meaning the others in your family will/could be bitten if they try and interact. Are your parents OK with that? Smaller birds are much easier to handle for other family members. My grown daughters won't even walk close to my macaw.

Macaws eat a lot. They need pellets, some seeds, nuts, produce, legumes, pasta, etc.... My food bill for my bird is a weekly one, and it's not cheap. Macaw seeds cost about 20 for a bag, pellets the same. Then there is the veggies and fruit you'll need to prepare fresh daily. Most of us also cook for our birds, often times a bean/noodle/veggie mis, birdie bread is also a wonderful thing. Figure a macaw eats 3 to 4 times the amount of a small/medium parrot.

A good cage is about 1000.00 A macaw from a breeder easily a 1000.00 or more, even rescues probably are asking upwards of about 400.00. A stand for your bird is probably a couple of hundred, minimum.
Then add in your weekly/monthly toys, food, and vet care.

Just a reality check for you.

One more thing, if a macaw bites....it's not a nip. Mine grabs and crushes. If you get a macaw, you can pretty much depend on a bite sooner or later. It hurts.

Last edited:

Kelli

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelli
As a new macaw owner I have to say the biggest adjustment has been the amount of food they eat! They love to eat! Also Ellie has finally become comfortable enough to start shredding her toys into tooth picks. It amazes me how quickly she can take a block of wood and just splinter it into nothing! Ellie was a rescue and cost much less than a hand fed baby, but I have spent well over 2000 in the 5 weeks I have had her on vet care, cages, playstands, food, supplies, etc. Alot of these items are start up costs that I won't be buying on a regular basis, but food alone will likely cost more than my dogs to feed and my dogs eat a very expensive all natural food. (Solid Gold brand) She loves me HATES my dad and is nervous around any new people. She can be blood curdling loud when she wants, but it isn't very constant or often. She can be moody and will test every limit you set. It comes natural to me because I am used to wrangling 20 4 year olds everyday at my job so I come home to 1 macaw and it's just like having 1 kid instead of 20. I know I am rambling and I am neither trying to encourage or discourage you from getting a macaw. Just know that they are ALOT of bird and a lot of commitment. I have had birds since I was 10 (am now almsot 25) and a macaw has always been my dream, but I would not be able to handle her without all the valuable lessons I learned from my conures and other birds. We have a routine when I come home from work everyday and I haven't had an afternoon nap after work since I got her!

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
Based on the criteria I provided above do you think I am fit to own a macaw?
-I spend 7-8 hours in school, and will spend time with my bird as I do my HW and give extra care over the weekend
-I can spend about 30 minutes cleaning everyday
-I don't want a nippy species of bird or one that gets too aggressive during its "puberty"
-My budget is about 2000 dollars

I do not own a macaw myself, but since they are large birds you will be spending way more than 2000.
30 minutes of cleaning would not suffice. It takes me an hour, sometimes an hour and a half, to clean up after all my birds. :confused:
A macaw would not be able to stay in a cage all day while you are at school. I am homeschooled so i am always home and able to care for my birds.
"Extra care" over the weekend will not matter to the bird because you were gone most of the day all of the other days of the week.

You can't do anything with a large bird accompanying you, because they will constantly want your attention.
You won't be able to do your homework, read a book, or watch TV because they will be trying to eat the book, stealing your homework and your pencil, and biting you when you aren't paying attention to them.
Then eventually they start biting harder, you put them in their cage so they will stop biting you, eventually you just stop taking them out altogether, that turns into screaming, then plucking, and you end up rehoming the bird.:(
From my experience having a cockatoo, i don't know if this would apply to a macaw. ;)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
If you've ever seen the plucked screaming macaws in rescues....then I'd say yes it can and does also apply to macaws.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
There is really some great advice on this thread. I can only speak from my limited experience. And thank you for the compliment on my drawing.

A "dog" isn't really a great comparison, he's more like a bratty, loud but loveable kid (with a nutcracker on his face). I've had dogs, cats, lizards, fish and horses but none really compare to Sam (well, maybe expense wise, the horse, and he's mouthy and red too so go figure that one). I can't really tell you if you're fit for a macaw, I wouldn't say that I was (and I'm 25 with a reliable job) but I changed my whole life around for him and regret nothing.

He is a one-person bird, he is mostly (he can be a brat) sweet and docile with me but he isn't crazy about almost anyone else (he used to give my mother the 'Iwannakillyou' dance, now he tolerates her after she started giving him almonds and special treats). I went away to my father's for Christmas and my mom looked after Sam; he spent the whole time looking for me and calling for me, so vacations are out. I took a few years earlier in life to travel and explore so it's no big loss to me.

I've been nipped twice, and both were just him letting me know that I was wrong; he's never full-force bitten me or even broken skin for that matter. But that's him as an individual, and a matter-of-time thing as far as I'm concerned. That being said, I've been bitten by smaller birds (and horses) and it freaking hurts - there is a great thread on here that if you're going to get a macaw you should look at about bite wounds. It's graphic, but it's a reality especially when dealing with those big beaks.

My question is, why a large macaw? What appeals to you so much more strongly about them than another type of bird?
I didn't go in wanting a macaw, it was just Sam that made me want him in my life as an individual, really, he could have been any species, we just happened to click.

Kelli

Real Name
Kelli
A kid is a much better comparison than a dog - I am a dog fanatic and love my 2 dogs to death, but they are easy breezy - give them food, treats, toys, weekly bath/ears/eyes/teeth clean, and a comfy spot to sleep in the sun and love on them when they come for snuggles and they pretty much take care of themselves. A parrot.... not so much. They are way smarter than the average dog, and can get themselves in a lot of trouble very quickly. You can really tell the wild animal/domestic animal difference. I haven't gotten bit badly yet, and I don't really want to look at any pics for fear it psychs me out, but I know I probably will at some point. When she is annoyed so far she just squeezes progressively harder to let me know, but that beak leaves bruises like nobody's business!

MaliMoto

Meeting neighbors
So sorry for the late response guys. I appreciate all your advice. Unfortunately living in NYC means there is a severe lack of breeders and so. I've done some research on the species you guys have provided and would a sun conure, pionus, green cheek conure, or Hahn's macaw suit me? Though from what I've read Hahn's are nippy. I've also done research and maybe would a blue and gold macaw be possible?
It would be with me out of its cage whenever I'm home to make up for the lost time at school and so but this is just a thought. I don't want to be an adamant ignoramus who knows nothing about macaws and gets one still so please provide some advice.
Thanks. :)
Sun Conure = very pretty but very loud. I think otherwise though, would be a nice fit for you. They can be clownish and fun to watch/interact with.
Pionus = I had a white capped. He smelled funny to me, I didn't like it at all. Pi's have this musk about them, you should meet one and see if you like them. They're a little bigger than the Sun and Green Cheek, so if that's important to you, worth a look. I don't think they're as silly as the conures are though. But certain breeds, like the blue head and dusky - just gorgeous!
Green Cheek Conure = a lot of fun! Not as loud as the Suns, super silly, very playful, read the definition of cheeky and that's what they are. These come in several color mutations these days, so finding one that appeals to you aesthetically would be easy. Smaller, so a little more affordable to house and buy toys for, and aren't nearly as demanding of your time.
Hahn's Macaw = I've only met a couple and spent limited time with them but they never appealed to me. They're a great size though, especially if you were originally budgeting $2000 and looking at smaller parrots and now starting to look at BG Macaws!

Personally, I would recommend any of the poicephalus birds. Senegals, Meyers, Red Bellied, Brown Heads. SO AWESOME! Funny, playful, a good size and QUIET. This may not be an issue in your mind now, especially because you'll be moving to a house, but think about all that extra homework and study time as you go into high school and college. A LOUD screaming bird is not exactly conducive to a good study environment, especially when you already want to throw your stupid chemistry text book across the room because CHEMISTRY MAKES NO SENSE! (ha... my least fave subject, can you tell?)

Ooh - or maybe a Caique! I love Caiques!

I would never want a BG Macaw. But then again, I used to make fun of people who had and wanted cockatoos too, and here I am with an Umbrella. But, my circumstances have changed. I'm a grown adult now with a stable lifestyle and I can make safer predictions about what my future may hold. If I was 13, I would not be committing to an animal that may not exactly adapt as well to all the ebbs and flows of growing into adulthood. Unless your parents were totally into getting a blue and gold as well, probably not the smartest option.

But bottomline, you really need to find a bird that just - clicks with you. It's different for everyone. I like a playful bird. I need a parrot that makes me laugh. Silly and clownish and a little bit pushy is good for me! What is your personality like? What would you like to be able to do with your bird?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I would at least recommend finding local parrot stores where you could handle and interact with parrots if you cannot find a rescue. I do not recommend a large macaw as a first bird, especially to a teenager. Not to say it can't be done, but it is more like adding a child to the family instead of a dog or a cat. (and no, I do not own a macaw! my biggest birds are conures, and they are a big enough handful as is! :D)

Don't know if you are close to any of these places.....
Base Camp
Bird Jungle
Buy Parrots and Exotic Pets - Parrots of the World - Pet Shop, Rockville Centre, Long Island, NY
Bob's Tropical Pet Center 718-821-2872 | Queen Pet Store
Fauna NYC
complete grooming and vet services in bronx ny 10472, 10465, 10461,castle hill, parkchester, throggs neck, pelham bay, east chester and more

There's also chain pet stores, such as Petsmart, Petland, Petco...

And of course, you'll need an avian vet. (aka bird doctor)
Island Bird Cat & Dog Vet Group, 375 Manor Rd, Staten Island, NY 10314
Center for Avian and Exotic Medicine — Specialty Veterinarians, New York — Animal Hospital For Avian and Exotic Pets
NYC Animal Hospital | St Mark's Veterinary Hospital | East Village NY Vet Hospital | Veterinary Hospital in Lower Manhattan | Pet Hospital in NY | Cat Clinic in New York City
Queens Vet, Nassau Veterinarian, Animal Hospital serving Long Island & Queens NY
Animal Medical Center - New York City

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
I have Severe Macaws (mini) and I love them. I really love the big ones but I have fibromyalgia and the weight of the big ones and how much food they eat was more than I could handle when my fibro flares. I had to find birds that I could handle physically preparing their food on a daily basis or they could eat pellets for a day or two. I understand the Yellow Collard macaws are really friendly too. My guys have beautiful colors when they open their wings - in case lots of color is important to you. Mine are fun and they talk to me. They are loud but I wear hearing aids so if they really bother me I can turn off the sound. :) I haven't done that yet though. When I don't feel well or have a migraine they know and honestly they keep quiet.

SpecialistElbru

Avenue Veteran
The has been many important facts on this thread. But I feel that there is one thing that has not been mentioned. I'm not trying to disparage Mohammed because if his age. It is very possible that Mohammed might be a parrot prodigy.

I'm not sure that there are any rescues out there that will allow a thirteen year old to have contact with a bird, even when the child's parents present within arms distance.It all has to do with liability, a minor partaking in a dangerous activity, a minor can not sign a legal waver. I'm not sure that a rescue would want to contact a lawyer for his/her advice on a guardian signing a waver on behalf of a minor.

Petshops also take more risks that rescues, but they can pay for more expensive insurance. I'm sure that in the US, there have been petshops that went bankrupt after a particularly nasty parrot attack on a store visitor.

Guardiavoir

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joanna
Stay away from buying a pet store parrot. They're more likely to come with disease and they usually need a lot more work to tame than a breeder parrot or the right shelter parrot. Plus, pet stores tend to sell parrots at higher prices. And pet store parrots also have a higher chance of coming with behavioral problems—once the honeymoon period is over, you might find that you have a screaming and plucking demon on your hands. At least with shelters, although they do have those types of problem birds, too, they're often willing to tell you about a bird's behavioral problems. If you do decide to buy from a pet store, make sure to ask them if they have behavioral problems. Is this parrot a plucker? Does he scream? Has he been returned? Why was he returned?