• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What are you keeping your feathers in?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Dropped or molted feathers, I mean. What do you keep them in?

Jar? Bag? Tupperware?

I have a couple of mason jars but I don’t feel like that’s working great. The jar fills up and then the feathers get all ratty looking.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I keep the budgies’ tail feathers in ziplock bags.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I keep most of them in a large ziplock bag. My plan is when I get enough of them to donate them to an Indian tribe. They accept donations of feathers to use for ceremonial garb, etc. I do keep some for myself. Not sure what I will do with them but those I keep in a ceramic container.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
What feathers I have left are all in glass vases.
My step mum recently asked for a handful of flights and tail feathers then told me she needed more so she took quite a lot of them to place in a fancy vase thing she has, then my mum started playing around with what was left of them and she kinda confiscated the rest off me to put in her empty glass vases on her shelf lol. I do not have anywhere near as many as I should do given that I hand them out to kids who are fascinated in birds and there are a few clients of mums with disabilities who are bird lovers who have been given some too.

As for the smaller feathers that I feel I need to keep (usually the ones with two colours on them) they get put in a mason jar or a container. I would like to laminate some of the smaller ones to make into book marks, drink coasters or place mats for some of the people I know who also ask if they can keep a feather they found on the ground while visiting.
I also keep looking at a few of Burts smaller feathers which are perfect size for covering a finger nail and I keep thinking I should ask my friend who does false nails to see if she can make a nail using them as they would look so awesome.

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Grape vine wreath I'll take a picture tomorrow

donutweall

Walking the driveway
Ziploc sandwich baggies are the perfect size for budgie tail feathers. I also try very hard to find all the throat spot feathers they moult. I'm very sad when I notice one has been moulted but I can't find it. But they are so very tiny, they do occasionally just disappear.

I have no idea what I'd want to do with them, but I can't help but save them they are so beautiful.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I have my feathers in small tupperware boxes so they all lay flat. Each bird has a box. I also started collecting smaller feathers but stopped because it is a big job. I have Sydneys face in a glass jar as well as his last flight in an envelope. I have an idea for them, but haven't had time or courage to do it yet (don't wanna mess it up and ruin the feathers now I can't get any more).

Here is a small project, I made this and I made a second to send to an AA friend, the frame on the left are special feathers that were sent to me and my birds are on the right;
IMG_20240216_105924.jpg