• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What are these cockatiel behaviors?

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Here are three poor videos of Felix making strange noises and movements. Like hopping, putting his head back, and putting his head down (I'm not going to begin to describe the noises). I am a new bird owner and would appreciate explanations and possibly some links to videos or articles to explain more cockatiel behaviors. My guess are him being aggressive/territorial/hormonal, but it might be in my head. Sorry about the quality:o:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Give us a little background on him. Where did he come from, how long have you had him and do you have other animals in your home?

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Give us a little background on him. Where did he come from, how long have you had him and do you have other animals in your home?
Oh, sorry! Got him off of Craigslist, owners didn't have him very long and know nothing about him except they were told he was a sweet bird. I've had him for about two months. The household has a cat, a dog, and a budgie. I can give more details on the animals if you want. The videos were shot with only me in the room, with all doors shut as usual. (Sorry if this is the wrong place to post)

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
The hopping and putting his head down just seem like regular cockatiel movements. Playing, moving around, wiping his beak, thinking about grabbing a toy, etc. The head movement in the first video is new to me. Does he do that every time he chirps? Maybe it’s a learned behavior, or maybe a stereotypical behavior, I’m not really sure. Does he have a variety of toys? How big is his cage? Does he come out? He’s awfully cute, but maybe bored. I would make sure he has plenty of foraging opportunities.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
The hopping and putting his head down just seem like regular cockatiel movements. Playing, moving around, wiping his beak, thinking about grabbing a toy, etc. The head movement in the first video is new to me. Does he do that every time he chirps? Maybe it’s a learned behavior, or maybe a stereotypical behavior, I’m not really sure. Does he have a variety of toys? How big is his cage? Does he come out? He’s awfully cute, but maybe bored. I would make sure he has plenty of foraging opportunities.
Good to know. Yes, he does the noise and movement. Yes, he doesn't play with toys much. Except when foraging for treats are involved. 19X19X29 inches. He comes out everyday, for as long as possible (depending on if I'm here). And has the entire room to explore. I try to keep his in-cage time to at the most 4 hours (not-including sleep of course). So I'd say around 7 hours out. Do you think he needs more toys?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Do you think he needs more toys?
You may have answered your own question. I was thinking about asking about toys. Could you post a photo of the whole cage, give us an idea of his surroundings when in there?

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
You may have answered your own question. I was thinking about asking about toys. Could you post a photo of the whole cage, give us an idea of his surroundings when in there?
I'll see about a photo. He's going to get a bigger cage soon, and I'll double down on the toys.

Thanks for answering everybody. I just hoped it was all normal. When you see your bird hopping...well...:blink: