• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What are some good techniques to teach no biting

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
I feel like I'm really going backwards with Jupiter. She flies to me constantly just to bite me. Doesnt give any body language that I can read about why she is upset.
It goes like this mostly: I open her cage, set up her portable perch on the coffee table, grab some food for us to share like an orange or pasta, etc. She flies out of her cage to her perch or to me and we share some food. Then I just go about my business clean the house, read, go on the computer, etc. If she stays on me after food she will be fine for two minutes before really biting my hand. I have no reaction and put her on her perch. She flies to me again as I walk around the house and will start biting me after two minutes. I just don't get why she flies to me if she doesn't want to be on me? I immediately put her on perch every time but it doesn't matter to her lol, she just flies back.
What other ways can I teach her that biting is bad? It's getting to the point where I don't allow her on me. Even as I type this she has climbed on me three times to bite me, breaking skin every time. But on her perch she bobs her head, chirps, she wants my attention.
And just this past day she is biting me after I give her scritches, though her body language says she was enjoying them (closed eyes, leaning into me) then bite very hard.
I never get mad her but don't know what else to try. This is all recent, within the last three weeks. Before that, she liked riding on me through the house while I went through my day. Now it's just a struggle.

If this is hormonal, what is the best approach? Is this just how she is? LOL.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
First how old is she?

I just don't get why she flies to me if she doesn't want to be on me?
She want you to stay and giving her attention. She is kind of lecture you for going away.
If she stays on me after food she will be fine for two minutes before really biting my hand. I have no reaction and put her on her perch.
But to put her on that stand is a reaction. It will only teach her that the stand is for punishment and also if she bite, you will put her their.
She flies to me again as I walk around the house and will start biting me after two minutes.
She is a little brat and I guess that she is growing up so this is puberty? She is testing her limits.
I immediately put her on perch every time but it doesn't matter to her lol, she just flies back.
She is smart, so you must be smarter. Leave her instead without saying something (or be angry) and close the door so she can't go after you.
Just leave her for some minutes then go back. If the same thing happen again leave her again but this time longer for each time it happens.
She will learn if you just are consistent. But in the beginning she will probably be very angry and upset that you dare to leave her. :D
If she is showing bad behavior she will not be part of the flock. That thing is working.
What other ways can I teach her that biting is bad?
You can not, more then to play sad and hurt. But don't be angry and no punishment!
Remember that they always bite for a reason. It's up to you to find that reason and avoid it.

It's getting to the point where I don't allow her on me.
That is correct. If she not can behave she will as I told you above not be part of the flock. No more shoulder time as long as she bite you like this.
Is this just how she is?
No it will past so stay happy and continue love her. She will need it now more then before. It is important that she feel loved and safe, and also that you respect her as you want her to respect you.

Last words.
Always avoid a bite, if you know when she used to bite avoid that situation.

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
She is 9 months if previous owner is correct
She want you to stay and giving her attention. She is kind of lecture you for going away.
That makes sense but I don't actually leave her, I'm like a foot away on the couch. If I go anywhere else, I offer her her stick and she climbs on so we can go around the house together. When I'm home, were together all the time.
But to put her on that stand is a reaction. It will only teach her that the stand is for punishment and also if she bite, you will put her their.
Okay, I see what you mean. The only reason I put her on her perch is that she doesn't just bite once, it's continuous until I remove her from me. I mostly put her on her perch so I can save myself lol.
Leave her instead without saying something (or be angry) and close the door so she can't go after you.
Just leave her for some minutes then go back. If the same thing happen again leave her again but this time longer for each time it happens.
She will learn if you just are consistent. But in the beginning she will probably be very angry and upset that you dare to leave her. :D
If she is showing bad behavior she will not be part of the flock. That thing is working.
Hmm, okay, at the moment she is the living room so leaving her I can't do, there are no doors. She was originally in my library room with a door. Would it better for her to be in her own room? If she bites me would I place her in her bird room and come back after a bit to see if she will behave? And if not, leave her a little longer so she learns she can only spend time on me if she does not bite? Will the entire room become a punishment room?
That is correct. If she not can behave she will as I told you above not be part of the flock. No more shoulder time as long as she bite you like this.
Okay, this is my plan. But please anyone correct me if I am not doing this in a good way.
I will move her cage back to library room. She likes it in there so it won't be a problem. It's bird proofed. I will do as I did before, sit in my chair reading, on laptop, napping, giving scritches when she wants, sharing food. But if she climbs on me or flies to me just to bite then I will leave and close the door. I will come back and sit and see if she behaves better.

Maybe she is unhappy in the living room. I moved her there so she could always be around me and my roommate. But maybe she liked it just me and her in that room and I take her with me through the house on her perch.

I really appreciate you replying, please be honest with my approach and if you think I should try it out.

I really try and not treat her any different with this biting, I sing to her and give her same amount of time with me, sharing food.

Last edited:

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
You have a baby aka toddler, she is going to test you-she also is maturing and feeling alittle off herself. Raising kids is resolving one stage only to have a new one pop up. Make sure her diet is not sugary , pellets not seeds & maybe try avicalm. I have a military macaw and she has been taught "no bite" because she to is a biter. I raise my voice alittle & use a stern NO, not loud but stern.." no bite that's not nice" and we continue on-its taken awhile but i no longer have chunks taken off my arm.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I will do as I did before, sit in my chair reading, on laptop, napping, giving scritches when she wants, sharing food. But if she climbs on me or flies to me just to bite then I will leave and close the door. I will come back and sit and see if she behaves better.
That sounds good. Reward when she is nice with love, leave her when she is mean. She will learn, and consider her age this is her way of testing you.
Will the entire room become a punishment room?
No, not if you spend a lot of time their yourself.
If I go anywhere else, I offer her her stick and she climbs on so we can go around the house together
That is nice of you but that doesn't learn her to be independent. That will in the end make it worse and she will be very needy.

ReNap

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chelsey
I would highly suggest looking into Barbara heidenrich if you haven’t. She’s a force free professional animal trainer, uses only positive methods of training animals. She has loads of experience with parrots and has lot of webinars and resources on training parrots, on a bunch of different topics. I’d suggest looking into the one “solutions for biting and aggressive behavior in companion parrots” as well as “solutions for parrot behavior problems related to hormones” if you think it might be a hormonal issue.

I’ve applied a lot of her tactics on how to manage having a parrot and problems they may have and it’s been awesome.

Parrot Digital Media | Online Parrot Media

Coldbreeze

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alana
Do all as above. I'll also mention to reward good behavior. I always make sure to give zazu attention when she start eating the food I places on the floor infront of her cage (usually some fruit or a veggie or two) so she knows I'm happy with her doing that. I also praise her when she is being good and quiet or playing or simply exploring. When Zazu is being good I praise. When Zazu starts to ask for attention or she gets bored and begins to high pitch squeak I literally get up, close my bedroom door and leave for a few minutes. To teach her that's NOT how you get my attention it's working infact the only time she squeaks is if my mom is talking to her or oddly enough I'm showering and shea in the bathroom on the towel rack she just gets beyond hyper and cant contain herself. Haha

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
That sounds good. Reward when she is nice with love, leave her when she is mean. She will learn, and consider her age this is her way of testing you.

No, not if you spend a lot of time their yourself.

That is nice of you but that doesn't learn her to be independent. That will in the end make it worse and she will be very needy.
Thanks for all your advice!!

I would highly suggest looking into Barbara heidenrich if you haven’t. She’s a force free professional animal trainer, uses only positive methods of training animals. She has loads of experience with parrots and has lot of webinars and resources on training parrots, on a bunch of different topics. I’d suggest looking into the one “solutions for biting and aggressive behavior in companion parrots” as well as “solutions for parrot behavior problems related to hormones” if you think it might be a hormonal issue.

I’ve applied a lot of her tactics on how to manage having a parrot and problems they may have and it’s been awesome.

Parrot Digital Media | Online Parrot Media
I will definitely check her out!

Do all as above. I'll also mention to reward good behavior. I always make sure to give zazu attention when she start eating the food I places on the floor infront of her cage (usually some fruit or a veggie or two) so she knows I'm happy with her doing that. I also praise her when she is being good and quiet or playing or simply exploring. When Zazu is being good I praise. When Zazu starts to ask for attention or she gets bored and begins to high pitch squeak I literally get up, close my bedroom door and leave for a few minutes. To teach her that's NOT how you get my attention it's working infact the only time she squeaks is if my mom is talking to her or oddly enough I'm showering and shea in the bathroom on the towel rack she just gets beyond hyper and cant contain herself. Haha
Jupiter also gets loud in the shower with excitement lol.

Coldbreeze

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alana
Not to say I don't allow Zazu to chirp, I do I just after a certain time (like 8ish/9ish) I try to avoid getting her wired up to keep neighbors happy. I eont even know if she makes that much noise to the point you can hear her next door.

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
Well I moved her back into the library room and the biting issue is gone. I guess she was just unhappy being in the living room.
That does suck as it was much easier to get bird time in the living room as opposed to having to hang out in the library room all the time. I think it was the tv, she hates gun noise on the tv. And the doorbell. To much noise for her. I have a little radio for her in the library room so it's not too quiet. Now she's happy to be handled and pet. I'm glad it was an easy solution! Thanks every one for the advice !