• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What a rough half hour I have had!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Just when I was turning out the lights I noticed a thick trail of regular size ants (not the teeny ones) crawling all along the baseboard on Jackson's wall. I freaked! Luckily we have bowls of water under the cage wheels right now or the cage floors of LScoot and Jackson would have been covered in ants(and i would have noticed it earlier). Anyway the Avian Insect Liquidator arrived yesterday so I mixed it up with water and sprayed along the baseboard. The ants just laughed so I kept spraying and spraying till I drowned them. The ones that had crawled up the wall after the initial spray curled up and died after five minutes, so it does work but not immediately. I made the air very thick with the almost odorless humidity of the spray. No one complained but my nose was burning. And Jackson sleeps on the cage floor under the papers, not far from the thickly sprayed floor. So after turning the lights out and leaving the glass door open for ventilation, I was freaking I would see dead birds tomorrow, or at least Jackson would have another stroke. So I went in and wiped up the spray off the floor in the dark and felt better. Jackson was like go away I'm sleeping. I still didn't feel good so I went in again in the dark, sprayed the floor with water and dried it up with paper towels. Still have the room ventilating for an hour or so. I hope I dealt with this situation adequately. This spray is supposed to be able to be applied directly on the feathers for mites. I didn't expect my delicate nose to burn though! Aargh! And I still have bird dishes to do and breakfast to chop and get into work early!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Aaugh! Ants! I guess they're part of living in FLORIDA.
I have a sort of gun thing that pumps out diatomaceous earth. Every so often I put a little around their room and on the newspaper at the bottom of the cages. It's safe and the ants are gone.

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
@finchly I use the same thing in door and out and it does work very well for fleas as well. I now have carpet beetles that I have to deal with because of all the rain we have been having in the afternoon from the monsoon season.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yuk beetles! All these critters wanting to take over our homes. :depressed:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
omg I would've gone crazy cleaning it up too!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
The ants are on BScoot side now. I can't spray until bedtime because Rudy plays on the floor. Tons of them. I won't go crazy spraying tonight lol

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope you can resolve the ant situation.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm now dealing with ants in the kitchen. I don't know where they are coming from. This started last night and I don't want to go to sleep and wake up to find more so I am staying awake and keep checking. I am using vinegar and dish soap right now and the soap is killing the ants quickly but not stopping more from coming. I put down black and cayenne pepper. I have a spray but never used it and concerned about it around the birds but it's supposed to be pet safe (don't know if they include birds, could be just dogs & cats). I read that it has a strong smell. Will try it outside and, if I decide to use it, I'll bring the downstairs birds upstairs and close the doors up there.
This is the stuff I have: EcoLogic 64 oz. Ready-to-Use Home Insect Control-HG-75003 - The Home Depot
Reviews not that great. This is what it contains:
Lemongrass Oil
1.5%
Other Ingredients† 98.5%
Total 100.00%
†Water, White Mineral Oil, Wintergreen Oil, Polyglyceryl Oleate,
Xanthan Gum, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Oh no! Can you put the birds in the flying room while you spray? I'm not sure I'd be comfortable using it in their room at all if it burned your nose. Can you try the DE?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I used that liquid terro....... but my birds aren't allowed to wander around the house and I have no other animals. I pick it up if the grandkids come by.

I put a drop on aluminum foil...... it seems like you get MORE but then they're gone.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
New thing...an ant got into my computer monitor. Could see it behind the screen. Stupid me pushed on it and now it is dead and stuck on the screen inside. It's driving me crazy and I want to disassemble the monitor and remove it but I don't want to ruin my monitor.
I have stayed up all night to check to see if there are ants in the kitchen and about every hour or so there is another ant.
I have some liquid traps but I don't want to attract any more ants. I've used them outside and they haven't worked that great. I'm fairly certain they are Terro.
I thought about trying diatomaceous earth but I don't like the idea of the dust it creates.

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
New thing...an ant got into my computer monitor. Could see it behind the screen. Stupid me pushed on it and now it is dead and stuck on the screen inside. It's driving me crazy and I want to disassemble the monitor and remove it but I don't want to ruin my monitor.

:omg: That is hilarious! :rofl: Picture please!!!!!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:omg: That is hilarious! :rofl: Picture please!!!!!

Not laughing here. It's been a long night. Ants, gusty winds, dog barking at the wind noise. :( I'm very tired.
Did a search and there seem to be many incidents of ants in monitors, iPads, laptop screens, etc.
I'll take a photo when the sun comes up. Birds and dogs are sleeping right now.

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Not laughing here. It's been a long night. Ants, gusty winds, dog barking at the wind noise. :( I'm very tired.
Did a search and there seem to be many incidents of ants in monitors, iPads, laptop screens, etc.
I'll take a photo when the sun comes up. Birds and dogs are sleeping right now.

Sorry, I can just imagine it would be very annoying and frustrating! But you will laugh one day! ;)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@saroj12 Sorry I hijacked your thread.