• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What a Quaker REALLY sounds like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I made a video for any that are considering a quaker. This is Jingo's "contact call" except he makes this noise anytime I leave the room, even just briefly. He will do this noise repeatedly for hours if he wants to. I think its hard to find videos like this; its easy to find those where the parrot is being adorable, but rarely can you find it where they are just being a bird.

Last edited by a moderator:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Keiko makes that noise too, but he does it over and over again, not just once each time, and he gets LOUDER.

There is another noise they make that sounds like a seagull, has he done that noise? I think it is funny.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know that sound,my neighbor in FL had a little blue Quaker that I loved and he would make that noise. Its harsh,but at least to me not as bad as a Sun Conure.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Keiko makes that noise too, but he does it over and over again, not just once each time, and he gets LOUDER.

There is another noise they make that sounds like a seagull, has he done that noise? I think it is funny.
Yes! I call it his alarm call....when he came here, he only done it once or twice...and both times it scared me SO BAD (this was within a few weeks or a month of getting him) that I thought he was in trouble! Now, every great while if he REALLY thinks I'm ignorning him, he will make it to see if I fall for it again :lol:

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I know that sound,my neighbor in FL had a little blue Quaker that I loved and he would make that noise. Its harsh,but at least to me not as bad as a Sun Conure.
It is definitely harsh and does not mix well with migraines ;) but, I agree, it is not as bad as a sun conure! Still, I was unaware of how much noise one little bird could make. It's a darn good thing he's lovable and cute!

Ribbit21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
Oh boy, that noise is sure familiar.

MorningGloria

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Celeste
As fellow bird owners I think we are a bit immune to it (I also LOOOOVE quakers), but you're absolutely right, there definitely needs to be more videos like this on YouTube. Keep up the good work! Also I really like your set up!

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
All 4 of my Quakers " do the seagull shrill calling" and every so often the " flock calling" when they want out for playtimes. Mizzely, does Jingo do the " hissy fit scream" yet, when they do it, boy, does it get loud, lol.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Note to self to not play other birdie noises-all of the green cheeks took cover. He's beautiful even without sound...:lol:

SimonSays

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie
Wow, thank you for recording the regular sound of Quakers. We've heard all the cute vids of birds talking, it's refreshing to hear the 'regular' sound! We can't wait to get our baby Quaker...my kids were enchanted by your video, thank you!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Wow, thank you for recording the regular sound of Quakers. We've heard all the cute vids of birds talking, it's refreshing to hear the 'regular' sound! We can't wait to get our baby Quaker...my kids were enchanted by your video, thank you!
I'm glad you found it useful! Always best to be prepared :) Can't wait to hear about Simon!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
He's adorable!!:heart:Did you enter him in Fagan's Army contest?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
AS a quaker owner myself, I can assure you that the sound on the clip is about 5% of the level a Quaker can make if he wishes. We bought our quaker ( Noodles) at a breeders and he showed us round the breeding cages, a rare treat.

40 or 50 quakers in a large breeding colony all with nests built together in a huge condo arrangement. The noise! oh the noise!. Worse than standing on a runway as a jumbo jet takes off overhead.

No problem you say, you only want one bird....but what if that one bird takes the colony call home?

We were lucky.

We love noodles to death. But luckily he was hand raised and did'nt learn "the CALL"

noodles6.jpg

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for posting this.:eek: I had no idea.:)

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Breeze is much louder and worse, she goes constantly.:rolleyes:

southernbirds

I sometimes see some wild Quakers. When they fly they flap their wings so fast that they are unmistakable and easy to identify.

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
He's is pretty. My quaker doesn't make any sound like that. Funny my kids were just saying...What was that sound? When I played the video. Oscar mimics and makes sounds but he is very quiet unless playing.

Kolkri

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
Topaz rarely makes that sound. But my breeders well do it louder, faster and longer. lol Right now one of my budgies is trying to copy it.:lol:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Topaz rarely makes that sound. But my breeders well do it louder, faster and longer. lol Right now one of my budgies is trying to copy it.:lol:
Yeah Jingo does it everyday in varying lengths, pitches and frequency. We call it his "oh noes, Josh is leaving me forever!" call because he uses it most when he can't get to or see my husband lol

Status
Not open for further replies.