• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Werribee Open Range Zoo, Melbourne, Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

~birdybea~

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
Steve and I visited Werribee Open Range Zoo today. :) Gave me a chance to play with my new camera!

Leopard tortoise

Blue Fairywren - wildlife not zoolife :p

Meerkat on sentry duty

Pile of snoozing meerkats

Catching some Zzz's with their bub on sentry

Herd of Blackbuck Antelope

Przewalski's horse

Dromedary camel

White rhinocerous with its little birdy mate

A trio of zebras

A few of the seven male giraffes at the zoo, they run a bachelor herd for the boys who won't be needed for baby making anytime soon

A kudu exploring its new open range enclosure, he and his two mates were quite flighty but will enjoy the space i'm sure

A breeding pair of scimitar horned oryx, they had their bub just out of frame

Amy the baby dromedary camel

Feeding time for baby sparrow (more wildlife)

African Wild Dog's settling in the shade in the heat of the day

Sparrow on a post in the bandicoot enclosure, figured that while the bandicoots were hidden away (we didn't see them) i might as well take photos of something

Willy Wagtail in the shade

Wattlebird, still in the bandicoot enclosure

Sleepy emu

Emu resting

Another nap for the meerkats

Lots of fun! It's nice to see animals in mixed, open-range enclosures. The savannah exhibit with giraffe, antelope, zebra and rhinos was particularly enormous!

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Great photos, I love Meerkats, I look forward to seeing them every time I go to the zoo. :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Great pictures! All of the animals are beautiful! I love the przewalski's horse!

Matt

snackies

Real Name
Rebecca
Gorgeous photos! I hope I can take half as nice shots as those when I go to the melbourne zoo in the new year. :) They are beautiful shots, I especially love the pile of sleepy meerkats! Werribee Zoo is lovely, I live about 45mins from it!

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
Beautiful pictures! One day I'm gonna make it there too!

And I LOVE LOVE LOVE meerkats! :heart: I'm kinda addicted to watching "Meerkat Manor" on TV. Amazing though how vicious those pint size cuties can be towards each other and especially towards 'rival gangs' :eek:

Vegemite

Real Name
Lynne
I dont live that far from it either. Havent been there in years but seeing your great photos makes me want to go there again soon.

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
It's a great zoo spread over a HUGE area... Not lots of different species but plenty of room for them to roam and exhibit normal behaviours. We were lucky to see the new, celebrity, giraffe be introduced to it's new gang and to see kudu go into their new area as well. I hadnt been to the zoo in over 20years (probably closer to 30.. :o:) and it was nice to see that it is still going and still developing. Great food at the cafe for those locals thinking of making a trip!! :laughing12:

Status
Not open for further replies.