• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Went to the bird store a few days ago

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I always like going to the bird store.

I saw some budgies, lots of finches and canaries, some lovies (50 dollars each or 250 for all 5 and the cage... I wish I had the space) a tiel, a couple of African Greys, which were boarding, and a too, also boarding. The too was a big ol ham, he was saying 'hello' in the sweetest little voice. Such a good boy.

But the one that really got me was the quaker. She was plucked all over her neck and chest. She had a sticker on her cage saying "I DIDN'T START PLUCKING HERE!" . She came over to the side of the cage and stuck her beak through the bars, she wanted beak rubs. And the sticker on the top of her cage read:

Name: Sassy
200$

I felt so bad for the poor honey. My dad called her a "defective bird". His exact words were "Who would want a defective bird?" :( I hope she finds a good home. She could use some love.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awww, poor thing! Take it from someone who has a one-legged Vasa, "defective" birds are AWESOME! My grandmother had the same reaction when I told her I was adopting a one-legged bird," we don't want a one-legged bird." Then, after a few days of him being home, she realizes how awesome and fortunate he is, now saying things like," I'm glad you got him." "He's a happy guy for only having one leg." There aren't enough words to justify how precious he is. Even though it's only been 3 months, I wouldn't trade him for ANYTHING!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
"Defective" critters are lucky in a way. They get adopted by folks with the softest hearts. :xflove:

Last edited:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Sounds like a great day @taxidermynerd :bounce3: So Many awesome birds:heart:

100% agree with @Brittany0208 ! I have a big weak spot for ‘defective’ animals:heart: They are just the best in my experience. I hope to take in Many more over my life:laugh:

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I felt so bad for the poor honey. My dad called her a "defective bird". His exact words were "Who would want a defective bird?" :(

"Defective"? They're creatures, not merchandise.. would he call someone with cancer "defective"? :angry101:

Honestly, I would have a hard time resisting bringing home a bird that's in clear need of some TLC and a loving home. But you can't save them all, I guess..

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I felt so bad for the poor honey. My dad called her a "defective bird". His exact words were "Who would want a defective bird?" :(
With all due respect...anyone who'd call a plucking bird "defective"...well, I won't go any farther because what I want to say isn't nice...:yelling:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know I wouldn't have been able to pass her up, so I'm sure she'll find a loving home in no time!
The pets most in need of rescue always seem to be the sweetest and most loving. She'll make someone an amazing companion. :xflove:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

I saw some budgies, lots of finches and canaries, some lovies (50 dollars each or 250 for all 5 and the cage... I wish I had the space) a tiel, a couple of African Greys, which were boarding, and a too, also boarding. The too was a big ol ham, he was saying 'hello' in the sweetest little voice. Such a good boy.

But the one that really got me was the quaker. She was plucked all over her neck and chest. She had a sticker on her cage saying "I DIDN'T START PLUCKING HERE!" . She came over to the side of the cage and stuck her beak through the bars, she wanted beak rubs. And the sticker on the top of her cage read:

200$

I felt so bad for the poor honey. My dad called her a "defective bird". His exact words were "Who would want a defective bird?" :( I hope she finds a good home. She could use some love.
Where? PM me so I don't get into trouble ...

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That is a rather high price for a 10 year old Quaker with issues.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
I hate the term defective or broken. It implies that the creature (inc. human) was not manufactured correctly, that they're designed to be perfect as if some they're some kind of machine like a TV or car.

But in reality nature is designed around imperfection and some imperfections are essential evolutionary traits.

Poor birdie :sadhug2:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra

200$

Defective, just like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. A dog with mange looks terrible but, with the proper treatment, can grow fur again and look "normal".

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I hate the term defective or broken. It implies that the creature (inc. human) was not manufactured correctly, that they're designed to be perfect as if some they're some kind of machine like a TV or car.

But in reality nature is designed around imperfection and some imperfections are essential evolutionary traits.

Poor birdie :sadhug2:
And many "defective" (including handicapped) birds never got that the memo and will do things their own way no matter what. Several of my "defectives" are just as smart and just as capable of a majority of the things my "able" fids can do. We all know this for a fact, nothing stops a determined bird.

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Just be clear, I myself have a soft spot for the "defective" guys too. Honestly if I could, I'd take them all in, I love them all. If I had the money and room and stuff, I'd get her in a heartbeat.
As long as hubby doesn't go into the bird room he "might not" notice there's a 3rd green Quaker.