• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well Tinker is home. (Sad update post #865)

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
Well today was a relaxing day with Tinker. He had to stay in his cage as we cooked on the gas stove but he didn't seem upset at all. Guess he is getting used to the routine of the house.
When I let him out we had a play time with his toys and tug a rope. Then I had a beer in a frosted glass.

Here he is thinking he is sharing my Spitfire Beer from Kent.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
He had to stay in his cage as we cooked on the gas stove but he didn't seem upset at all.
That is because your are doing a really good job with him. :)
You have not spoiled him with a lot of out of cage time and comfort 24/7 and that have made him natural independence. That they from the beginning should have both cage time and out of cage time is so important. I often say that to new parronts, and here we have the prove of how well it is working.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
That is because your are doing a really good job with him. :)
You have not spoiled him with a lot of out of cage time and comfort 24/7 and that have made him natural independence. That they from the beginning should have both cage time and out of cage time is so important. I often say that to new parronts, and here we have the prove of how well it is working.
Thank You very much for the compliment.

I have tried to do with this guy what I did with Gus my wild Blue Fronted Amazon 40 years ago. Yeah I'm that old and been retired since I was 57. Although Tinker was never as vicious as he was in the beginning. Still have some scars from that little bugger.

I have given him at least 6 hours of freedom daily so he can develop his flying skills and build his muscles up. He has even learned how to hover now and do figure eights at full speed. His landings at dead on and he is responding well to my finger snap and come command.
He also learned to keep his head down when near the ceiling. :)

It's the time of year now for fall Walleye fishing and the finals for shooting matches at local ranges so he is going to get some extra cage time. I have the best walleye lake in the world 10 minutes north of me. :)

Tonight he fell asleep in Teresa's lap and I swear he was snoring. :)

Got his outside aviary today and it will take a few days to assemble, I'm quite sure the person who put together the assembly instructions is laughing.

I'll post pictures when it is all completed with branches etc.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Awesome! Can’t wait to see pics of his aviary!

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Tonight he fell asleep in Teresa's lap and I swear he was snoring. :)
:heart:
Got his outside aviary today and it will take a few days to assemble,
Great! :)
I'm quite sure the person who put together the assembly instructions is laughing.
Wasn't me.. Or was it? :smuggrin::hehe:
I'll post pictures when it is all completed with branches etc.
Really looking forward to that. And I don't mind pics while building it either.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Really looking forward to that. And I don't mind pics while building it either.
Well today was a comfortable 75F with only 75% humidity instead of the 85F and 90% humidity we have been having for a month or so. I got up early and finished putting it together today. Got too dark for pictures but will do that tomorrow.
Need to tidy up the deck and rearrange everything as well.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Pictures you will get. :)
Here is the completed aviary.

I built this platform to accommodate the feeding station that I am building.
It's got an Arborite top. Just some left over material from a job years ago.

This is my feeding station that can be changed without entering the aviary.
It's a work in progress that I will finish tomorrow and install.

Perches tomorrow as well. I think I have the right sizes to do something with. I have ordered another bong that he likes to use. I want everything in place before I introduce him to it.

He knows something is up as he has been looking through the kitchen window from the top of the fridge watching me building it. :)

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well it's such a nice afternoon I decided to see how Tinker would take to the new aviary.
I put a few sunflower seeds in his dish and used the travel carrier to carry him out in. I stayed with him for the first half hour just to reassure him all was safe. He was fine and spent a few minutes taking the new surrounding in and then I pointed out his favorite treat and he dug right in.

Here he is trying his new perch array.

He must have felt quite safe as after about an hour and a beer he fell asleep on the back perch. We called it a day and we came in the same way with no hassles.

He is now fast asleep on his play station.

Good boy Tinker.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I enjoyed your story with Tinker. Lucky bird.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well Tinker spent 4 hours outside today, sun was shining and a good wind was blowing but he didn't seem to mind at all. He spent the time learning to climb the square wire bars and hanging upside down. I threw together a toy from kids teething rings, Chinese finger toys and a cat ball. He knocked that around for ages.

I had also grown some oats for grass for him to chew on but it looks like he prefers to bite the plastic tray rather than eat the fresh greens. He hates lettuce and spinach so this didn't surprise me at all.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Well Tinker spent 4 hours outside today, sun was shining and a good wind was blowing but he didn't seem to mind at all. He spent the time learning to climb the square wire bars and hanging upside down. I threw together a toy from kids teething rings, Chinese finger toys and a cat ball. He knocked that around for ages.

I had also grown some oats for grass for him to chew on but it looks like he prefers to bite the plastic tray rather than eat the fresh greens. He hates lettuce and spinach so this didn't surprise me at all.

Tinker looks like he's being kept busy and from the sound of it is fitting in beautifully.

I'm not hijacking this thread but there's a member who lived overseas and had a grey, called Tinkerbell. I'll try to find his name because I think his stories would be interesting to you. He worked as a consultant so he was sent to countries that, to many of us, are places we'll never see or go to.

Found him Shanlung - Tinkerbell on motorbike | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Last edited:

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Oh he is learning fast.
Normally he would be all over the bowl I put his food in' then he follows me to his cage just before I put him away for the night. Tonight he ignored it all together and wouldn't follow me or step up to my hand. LOL

I'm going to just let him think he won for another 15 minutes or so then trick him.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I hope you don't take my post as something that you should do with Tinker. If I wouldn't do it with my fids I don't expect anyone else to either. Your photos of Tinker make me want to birdnap him/her but Ontario is a way away from Chicago.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
I hope you don't take my post as something that you should do with Tinker. If I wouldn't do it with my fids I don't expect anyone else to either. Your photos of Tinker make me want to birdnap him/her but Ontario is a way away from Chicago.
LOL nope not getting on a scooter or motorbike. Traffic is way too crazy for that anymore.

38085256_1840673652686053_7338906456575442944_n.jpg

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
I was considering finding out about Tinker's breeder for when I am eventually ready for a baby CAG, he's such a bright and sweet and well socialized baby... but then realized the breeder is probably in Canada and I doubt trying to bring a bird through customs would be very conducive to the whole 'well adjusted baby' bit XD

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I was considering finding out about Tinker's breeder for when I am eventually ready for a baby CAG, he's such a bright and sweet and well socialized baby... but then realized the breeder is probably in Canada and I doubt trying to bring a bird through customs would be very conducive to the whole 'well adjusted baby' bit XD
True but Tinker's breeder might have/know of a U.S. breeder she could refer you to.