• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well, Target is a Hawkhead after all.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh man, you met the velociraptor side! Yeah those bites can hurt pretty dang bad. Cassius goes through a really bad hormonal phase every year, although this past year he wasnt that bad. When he is like that I just leave him alone. He does snap out of it eventually and we go on as normal. He has been getting slightly attidude-y this past week, which is usual for him. Thankfully he is OK for DH during that time so he gets to take over letting him out and such. They are no joke when they want to get you though. Cash will dive bomb (he goes for the face!) and I swear he looks like he has lost his mind. Fortunately its easy to work around as he is really good about stepping onto a stick, and I can move him that way (without him flying off amazingly).

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Haha, yeah, velociraptor is quite the accurate description! Can I confess that I felt a bit hurt that Target lunged for me this morning, but played with my mother? Oh well.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
If you're feeding dried fruit equivalently to fresh fruit weight for weight, its not unfair to compare the two weight to weight.

No matter how you look at it, dehydration does cause nutrient loss.

Another link.

http://blog.outdoorherbivore.com/food-301/nutrient-loss-in-dried-foods/

I'd never feed too much of dehydrated fruits of vegetables when you can offer fresh whole foods instead.

A crop full of fresh fruits is so much healthier than a cropfull of dehydrated.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you're feeding dried fruit equivalently to fresh fruit weight for weight, its not unfair to compare the two weight to weight.

No matter how you look at it, dehydration does cause nutrient loss.

Another link.

http://blog.outdoorherbivore.com/food-301/nutrient-loss-in-dried-foods/

I'd never feed too much of dehydrated fruits of vegetables when you can offer fresh whole foods instead.

A crop full of fresh fruits is so much healthier than a cropfull of dehydrated.
I said I wouldn't be feeding "equivalent in weight," rather "equivalent in pieces." And I don't feed Target dried fruits at all, just that once yesterday with the bananas :huh:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I'm on my phone an am not getting your messages in a timely fashion I guess. :o:

And I was only responding to the "equivelent" part. Dont feel bad to feed fresh fruits. Theyre not bad.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm on my phone an am not getting your messages in a timely fashion I guess. :o:

And I was only responding to the "equivelent" part. Dont feel bad to feed fresh fruits. Theyre not bad.
Nah, I mean equivalent like what it would have been in its fresh form. And I always feed fresh fruits, I know they're not bad, lol. It's just that one time yesterday with the banana chips :p.

But yeah, dehydrated fruits is a good alternative if your bird doesn't eat fresh fruits (which mine thankfully do, with the exception of BB). Just don't feed too much because it's easier to overdose on fruits when it's so much lighter without the water, and also not the kind with sulphur. I personally like the naturally air/sun dried kind. I feed BB veggies and fruits I dry myself with the dehydrator.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So I went up to Target again and she hissed/flared/lunged at me (again). But I didn't walk away this time, we had a stare down for a good 5 minutes. Then she relented and let me scritch her head. Hah! Take that, Target! You're not the Boss of Me. :p Oh, who am I kidding, she's totally the boss of me. :heart::heart::heart:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:rofl: Yep, Cash is the boss of me too. Big time :p There is one thing about hawkheads.... they WILL get their point across :D Gosh I :heart: them!!!

Glad she let you scritch her today, that is a big plus. :)

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Target got me again today, hard. She's also still hissing/flaring/lunging at me when I approach. Not all the time, but quite frequently :(

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Has anything else changed? Nails, hair, etc? Cash doesnt like it when I have my hair down :rolleyes: Who knew they could be so opinionated ;)

If it is hormone related, the good news is it does pass. Its sucky until it does though :(

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No physical changes, no. She lunged at my mother too, which is big because she's very fond of my mother. I'm really hoping it's hormones. The previous owner said Target's never bitten her in the 13 years she had her, so I feel like such a loser, I must be doing something wrong. But Target's never bitten me before Sunday night, either. Strange.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Don't say you are a loser. That's not true.:hug8: You just have to learn HH behaviour, and be fast as lightening...:D
Honestly the suggestion made {was it by mercedez?...on pg 2 so cannot see it right now} that she may have thought your finger was food is a good one. I wouldn't put too much weight in this incident. I have had a couple little incidents with Cochise, and one with Yuna. It just taught me more about living with hawk-headed parrots. They really are like no other, and very special.:heart:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I'm not sure about this Carole.

Wild parrots mainly survive on fruit, nuts and flower buds.

Of course a captive parrot doesn't needed banana chips or other dehydrated fruit much. Now that is almost pure sugar.
Our birds are not wild though, and do not burn off the same amount of energy that a truly wild flying bird does. Too much sugar[fruit] and fat[nuts]for a captive bird{with some exceptions like my softbills} equals renal issues later in life.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I got my sweet girl back today!!! I think she's cage aggressive. I took her off her cage today and she's as sweet as ever. Put her back and she's a velociraptor :eek: Weird that it took over a month for the cage aggression to show itself, and that it came on so suddenly.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Happy to report that Target has NOT hissed/flared/lunged/bitten me at all today, on or off her cage (so I take back the part about cage aggressive from my last post). She's ZERO aggressive, just as I've always said, and back to her regular sweet self again. If it was the bird version of PMS that made her grumpy in the first place, that sure was fast! Nothing has changed the past few days either, so I guess it's the banana chips. Okay, no more banana chips. :D

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That is great news!! Hopefully the sweet version continues :D Scary as it can be when they are acting aggressive, ya gotta admit they look pretty darn awesome ;)