• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well, my dad took me to pick up the new bird

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I still hurt from losing Ciri, but I think my dad made the right choice in going to get him.

His old owners had just bought him because their female, who was in a tiny round cage, was egg-laying. He's a dna sexed and banded male, so they thought they could just chuck him in and get fertilized eggs. Needless to say, she beat the stuffing out of him. Chewed up his tailfeathers, bit his throat and it looks like she wouldn't let him eat at all. He's been eating ever since I put him in the spare cage. When it hurts less, I'm going to give him Ciri's cage.

Gonna get his band removed once everything stops hurting and my head stops being one big lump of pain. He didn't even have a name when I got him, but I've decided to call him Geralt. I think he might be a blackmask x bluemask? But idk, he's not going to be used for breeding ever again. Once he's out of quarantine, he's going to be introduced to the other birds.

Shoot, wrong species thread. Could someone move this to the lovebird stuff?

Attachments

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Congrats! ♥

I think that this will be fine in the end. It's not always bad to have something to think about when you grieve.
I hope it soon feels a little bit better. :hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4:

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
So sorry for your loss but glad you could find room in your heart for Geralt. He sounds like he needed a soft place to land.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Ahw sweetie I think it is going to help to have this new baby to care for while you grieve, he probably really needs your love:heart: I think he Will prosper in your care, and that he is now home with you and bringing joy to your life again would make Ciri very happy:heart:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Thank you. I still have a headache from this entire mess, but I think taking him home was the right choice. Ciri would have liked him. He's a little quiet boy and spent most of the trip home hiding in his own bedding. No idea how long the guy had him in that box with no food or water, but I wish I hadn't listened when he said he had a box to bring him home, I don't think that was the right kind of steel for a birb. And it was small and sort of dirty and I had to hold him so very carefully or he'd slip and slide all over the cardboard.

(I wish I knew how to move this thread into the right place).

Attachments

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Your dad is a really nice person to do that, congratulations on the new bird.
Yeah, he really is. It's been one hell of a day, but I'm glad he did that for me. He was the one who helped me move Ciri into a warm, safe box, too. I know my mom's probably going to be super mad with the both of us, but I really needed this. It's been a hard couple of days.

And I got him before he could be used for breeding and discarded like Ciri was before I got her. I still have no idea why they thought it was a good idea to buy him and shove him in their female's cage AFTER she laid her eggs. She was still sitting on them when I picked Geralt up.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Who is they you are referring to?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Geralt is quite handsome. Thank you for taking him in.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Who is they you are referring to?
His old owners. I asked a bit about Geralt when I got him, and was told that their female had started laying eggs and they bought him from a breeder and just threw him in her cage while she was laying more eggs in hopes of him fertilizing them (somehow??????).

And they just didn't understand why their female lovebird didn't like him.

I don't even know how people think that's an okay thing to do????? His old owners were grown adults with toddlers. You'd think they'd know better than to shove a strange male bird in with a mother laying on her eggs. They didn't even give them quarantine or try to properly introduce them before throwing him back up for sale. Poor guy was (thankfully) only with them for 11 days.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Geralt is quite handsome. Thank you for taking him in.
He really is. I'll try to take more pictures in the morning, these really don't do him any justice. Even with his chewed up buttfeathers and poop on his wing, he's a real looker.

I'm just confused as to what he is, though. He's got the looks of a blackxblue mask, but he's also got the darker blue peachface rump and he's so small compared to Yen. They were advertising him as a fishers lovebird.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
annnnd he already gave me a heart-attack by falling off his perch in the middle of the night. Silly little guy just went plop and my heart skipped a beat, but he's alright.

Uugh all the things I'm going to have to do just hit meeeeee. I've got to find a place that removes bands and get him registered with the vet and let them know about Ciri's passing and tell my mom about him and clean out the cage so he's not stuck in the spare one and try to give him a bath because he was pooped on by the other bird and work on taming him as he's non-hand tamedddddd.... Got to check him over for injuries, too. I'm pretty sure I saw a scab on his neck and I gotta do all that while trying to keep him from escaping and saying hello to the other birds.
:faint:

Geralt's lucky he's cute. :sleeping5: I gotta whole lot of problems and a lack of energy to do anything is one of them.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
You are going to be alright! He is super precious hiding under his bedding!
You could just start of with checking him for injuries, and then just take the whole day off(if you can, it is sunday here), don’t do any school stuff and such, just plan the whole day to clean the cage and make a vet appt. You Will have loads of time:hug8: Taming can wait too, just being together with him and offering a treat now and then Will be a start! It is going to be alright, even though it might feel like is never Will be:hug8:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
You are going to be alright! He is super precious hiding under his bedding!
You could just start of with checking him for injuries, and then just take the whole day off(if you can, it is sunday here), don’t do any school stuff and such, just plan the whole day to clean the cage and make a vet appt. You Will have loads of time:hug8: Taming can wait too, just being together with him and offering a treat now and then Will be a start! It is going to be alright, even though it might feel like is never Will be:hug8:
Thank you. I just finished checking him over and washing out the entire cage. He's got a wound on his leg, but it's thankfully clean and shows no sighs of infections. It looks like his 'girlfriend' ripped a small patch of skin off of the back of his knee. Surprisingly, his old owners actually took the both of them to a vet, and I got in contact with her and he's got a clean bill of health. No known diseases, no illnesses, just superficial injuries on his leg and some feather damage. He is severely underweight, though, but that seems to have been caused from the female bullying him away from the food, as he's eating like a horse.

It was actually her who convinced them to sell him. He was real lucky she didn't get at his vent or break his legs.

He's a real smart little guy. I had to get him out of the spare cage and into Ciri's old cage once I was done cleaning it from head to toe, and he came up on his own and either someone taught him to step up on a stick or he figured it out quick, because he stepped up after a little bit of trial and effort.

Then, he went straight to Ciri's favourite basket and just sat in it, grinding his beak and rubbing his face against it. I'd like to think he was saying thank you to her for letting him have her old home.

Attachments

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Thank you. I just finished checking him over and washing out the entire cage. He's got a wound on his leg, but it's thankfully clean and shows no sighs of infections. It looks like his 'girlfriend' ripped a small patch of skin off of the back of his knee. Surprisingly, his old owners actually took the both of them to a vet, and I got in contact with her and he's got a clean bill of health. No known diseases, no illnesses, just superficial injuries on his leg and some feather damage. He is severely underweight, though, but that seems to have been caused from the female bullying him away from the food, as he's eating like a horse.

It was actually her who convinced them to sell him. He was real lucky she didn't get at his vent or break his legs.

He's a real smart little guy. I had to get him out of the spare cage and into Ciri's old cage once I was done cleaning it from head to toe, and he came up on his own and either someone taught him to step up on a stick or he figured it out quick, because he stepped up after a little bit of trial and effort.

Then, he went straight to Ciri's favourite basket and just sat in it, grinding his beak and rubbing his face against it. I'd like to think he was saying thank you to her for letting him have her old home.
That is so touching:heart: I am so happy he is with you now!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for adopting Geralt. He's a cute bird.