• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Welcome home Pixel

jennluna

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
Today I brought home my new CAG baby Pixel. He is a 4 month old male and he is just as sweet as can be. He is one of two planned additions to my flock (the other being a WBC). I’m so in love with this baby.

Just so no one thinks I’m not an advocate of rescue, I am—there just aren’t a lot of bird rescues who do adoptions in my area. I do have an application in with one of the ones who does, and if they ever call and tell me they have a bird matched with me, I have a spare cage and a place in my flock any time. I felt like I needed to say that since there are so many birds that need to be adopted and I’ve bought from breeders.

33C81EC2-7E9E-4C26-ACE3-6990E2C8B1B5.jpeg

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Aww welcome home Pixel! (Love the name)
He looks absolutely sweet. :cloud9:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
awwwhhh what a sweet baby! Babies are cute!!!!

Good luck with him!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. Handsome baby.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! He's adorable!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Omg :heart::heart::heart: cute!!!!! :congrats:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
:congrats5:

What a beautiful little baby! I love CAGs. :xflove:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congrats. All my birds but one came from breeders, and I feel no guilt. You only live once, and it's okay to have what you want, as long as you can provide and meet the needs of your birds. I do have a rehome also. I love them all.

jennluna

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
Congrats. All my birds but one came from breeders, and I feel no guilt. You only live once, and it's okay to have what you want, as long as you can provide and meet the needs of your birds. I do have a rehome also. I love them all.
My fids are spoiled rotten. I’ve just seen people get really ripped into, even on this forum, for buying and not adopting. I do understand the reasoning. I wish I had more access to rescues because I know there are some outstanding birds in rescues waiting for homes.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Wow... beautiful fid! Congrats! :)

I saw a baby at the markets recently... they wanted $4500 for him! But the Misses said... Are you crazy? I knew in my heart that she is right! But still! :)

jennluna

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
Wow... beautiful fid! Congrats! :)

I saw a baby at the markets recently... they wanted $4500 for him! But the Misses said... Are you crazy? I knew in my heart that she is right! But still! :)
The price on greys has gotten out of control in the US. I only paid $800 when I got Luna 8 years ago. I will just say I didn’t pay anywhere near $4500 for Pixel though, that’s crazy! Is that a typical price in Australia?

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Not unheard of unfortunately!:( We will eventually get a grey as they are my dream bird! For now Pilo is a blessing and are very fortunate to have such a talented and happy fella! Perhaps one day!

Last edited:

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Pixel is just adorbs, babies are so much fun! :heart:

Ella is from a breeder also she is turning 2 soon, they grow up fast!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The price on greys has gotten out of control in the US. I only paid $800 when I got Luna 8 years ago. I will just say I didn’t pay anywhere near $4500 for Pixel though, that’s crazy! Is that a typical price in Australia?

The original imported breeders are retired or nearing it. Those who didn't hold back birds and raise them together are not producing greys, so the price has shot up. I've seen some ridiculous macaw prices lately, also. $4k-5,712 for a scarlet?!?

jennluna

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
I know, that’s nuts. I knew that was why the price went up on the Greys and I expected it. Still don’t like it. I’ve noticed the same thing with B&G macaws. I want to find another Timneh before the prices get too much crazier but they’re getting harder and harder to find.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
My fids are spoiled rotten. I’ve just seen people get really ripped into, even on this forum, for buying and not adopting. I do understand the reasoning. I wish I had more access to rescues because I know there are some outstanding birds in rescues waiting for homes.

I know what you mean. It's like it's wrong to have purchased a baby. Whatever. When I wanted Harry, after my dad died, there weren't a lot of BTMs around. When Ziva passed, I was looking and saw Daff's sweet face. I wasn't specifically looking for a hybrid. If you don't live near rescues or want a rare bird, you probably have to purchase. It's a heated topic, for sure.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I know, that’s nuts. I knew that was why the price went up on the Greys and I expected it. Still don’t like it. I’ve noticed the same thing with B&G macaws. I want to find another Timneh before the prices get too much crazier but they’re getting harder and harder to find.

They're not bred as much because people want the magical Congo grey. They're out there, though.

jennluna

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
They're not bred as much because people want the magical Congo grey. They're out there, though.
I actually prefer Timmies. Shhhh...don’t tell Pixel. Lol. And I know what you mean about wanting a rare bird. Man, the hyacinths and their hybrids, like the emeralds and the coloshuas, make my mouth water. I’m sure I’ll never get my hands on a Hy hybrid though. Luna and Faust’s breeder wants to retire after this year so there is a chance I might be able to get some of her birds though. She definitely wanted Faust to have a mate. And she has Hyacinths. :angel4: