• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weird/Silly Question

Modell

Strolling the yard
I'm still rather new to birds in general. I recently got my first bird, a precious baby cockatiel. Earlier tonight and once yesterday, while she was close to my face, I slightly opened my mouth to say something and she stuck her/his head in and started cleaning my teeth. I pulled my mouth away as quickly as possible both times, but I've read that human salvia is not good for them. Do you think she/he will be okay? My baby loves my glasses, so she/he is often very close, but I don't want them to get sick. I know my grandma's cockatiel used to drink cola out of my uncle's mouth and clean his teeth and never got sick(She eventually passed due to egg binding 30 some odd years ago, far before I was born) so I'm hoping just two quick instances will be alright. To ask another more silly question, does anyone know any tricks to get cockatiels to eat fruit, my baby absolutely hates it? She/he loves veggies though! Thank you in advance for any and all help you can give!
Ps: You all are so nice in this community, unlike fish forums, which really is super nice and way more helpful, so thank you for that as well!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
She'll be fine I am sure :)

Tiels tend to like veggies over fruit. I would seize the opportunity and feed as much veggies as possible! Fruit should be a small portion of the diet anyways :)

Modell

Strolling the yard
That's a relief! Thank you so much, I just love her so much and don't want anything bad to happen to her. I've been giving her as much as I can and she eats it right up. I just wanted to get a little fruit in there, but she just won't have it, lol.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You might try sour fruits and exotic fruits... i.e. green apples, green bananas, berries, pomegranate, kiwi... if she doesn't eat it, don't worry!