• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weight loss in humans and parrot reactions

Status
Not open for further replies.

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
I was wondering how parrots react to weight loss in their owners. I'm not talking about 10-20 lbs I mean like a lot of weight. I've heard they may react badly. I am looking to lose some weight but it would be gradual not like a drasticly fast change. Would Iggy get used to me as I change gradually or will he freak out when I am thin? Will he know me still because of the way I act and my voice? I am worried he may react badly.

Have any of you lost a lot of weight ? How have your parrots reacted?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I went from 180 pounds down to 131 in the span of several months. I never noticed a change in Nala,I just had her at the time. I've since gained a small amount back and there was no reaction from either of them. I think Iggy will do just fine :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I would think if he sees you everyday he won't notice the change. If you suddenly left at 180 and didn't see him again until you were 130. Well you'd be a whole new person. We wouldn't recognize you either.

Chicobo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Erin
That's a really great question, I am working on losing weight too (I have almost 150 to lose) and I never even thought of whether it would upset CC! But I guess you're right, since she'd been seeing a gradual change it wouldn't be as unnerving as if I went away and came back 100 pounds lighter.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I think if your bird sees you every day and the weight loss is gradual (1-2lbs a week), then he wouldn't even notice. As long as you didn't alter any other part of your appearance drastically (hair color, style, etc.).

ParrotsforKeeps

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Meg
I have lost a lot of weight because of my health in the past, meaning I started at a good healthy weight and lost a lot. My birds were not upset, but they were very careful and seemingly worried about me. I did look a lot different in other ways, as well (you often do when that sick, obviously), but it is hard to say if the change was because I looked different or because I was sick. They are so connected, anyway, but I think it was more on the sick side.

I do not think your birds should have a problem. They are with you everyday, no one can lose weight fast enough to really be a shock in that circumstance!

Coco's Momma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Robin
I agree with the others; your weight loss will be gradual, and your bird will adjust just fine. In cases where we are sick, we are acting differently, or our heart rate, blood pressure or temperature is different, then I do believe birds may and can notice and become confused or concerned.

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
Okay cool, I was just curious because I have heard that birds can sometimes treat you differently or possibly even lose the bond you have with them because of a change such as weight loss. Don't remember where I heard that. Good to know Iggy won't react totally crazy with my weight loss! haha

DarkSoldier246

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Eric
I went from 235 to 180 in 3 months and none of my birds seemed to notice!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
My husband lost 88 pounds in three months and the birds were all fine:)

Status
Not open for further replies.