• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent weight gain?

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mk
Hello!

Ever since my indian ringneck lay eggs last June I’ve been weighing her regularly.

After her egg her weight used to be 121-123g in the morning. It was like that until the middle of January where it increased to 126g. However a few days before that I did find her sneakily eating seeds from her treats bag which was hidden under her cage, I don’t know if that’s related to her weight gain or not. So her morning weight was 126/127g after that which I wasn’t too bothered about because it wasn’t much of a gain.

But at the end of February it increased again to 129-131g. Her morning weight has been 130g since then and her weight at the end of the day bes around 136g (which was the same weight she was when she was going to lay an egg).

I’m not sure what caused this weight gain and if it’s something I should be worried about.

Her behaviour is the same and I really don’t think she’s going to lay another egg because her behaviour isn’t like how it was when she was laying eggs.

I can still feel her keel bone so she’s not obese. Her diet is also the same (Harrisons pellets, fruits, veggies) although I did introduce tops pellets to her.

I just find it weird how she’s gained 7g from just the start of the year. Is it normal for parrots to gain weight like this?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
If your bird isnt fully mature, they still bulk up some.

For example my quakers and gcc seem to reach their full potential and max weight at 2 years or slightly after and stablize.

Birds that weren't flighted, and then become flyers will add muscle mass weight.

Lastly birds will will gain with breeding season . Girls especially seem to gain weight In prep of breeding season, even if they don't lay eggs that season. But it could be she is planning on laying eggs. 7 grams isn't much , so I don't think an egg is coming right away .
My quakers can put on 15 grams even tho when they lay an egg the egg only egg only weighs 6 grams.

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mk
If your bird isnt fully mature, they still bulk up some.

For example my quakers and gcc seem to reach their full potential and max weight at 2 years or slightly after and stablize.

Birds that weren't flighted, and then become flyers will add muscle mass weight.

Lastly birds will will gain with breeding season . Girls especially seem to gain weight In prep of breeding season, even if they don't lay eggs that season. But it could be she is planning on laying eggs. 7 grams isn't much , so I don't think an egg is coming right away .
My quakers can put on 15 grams even tho when they lay an egg the egg only egg only weighs 6 grams.
Thanks for the reply!

My parrot is mature she’s about 9 years old.
Now that you mention the feathers she was moulting a few months ago (when her weight was still 121-123g) and her new tail/wing feathers are still growing back so the weight gain could be because of them.

I’m not sure if it’s breeding season I assumed breeding season is in June judging by the fact that that’s when my birdie had an egg and was extra hormonal.

Also her morning weight has been 129-131 for a month or so now so if she was going to have an egg wouldn’t she have had it by now?