• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weevils!

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
They are in the hemp seed! I never had these before and suddenly I'm finding them in the bird drawer. I keep cleaning it out and freezing things (except for the hemp seed because I just never thought they would be there). I just scooped some more out of the bag of hemp seed into the storage container in the bird drawer and when I looked again there were five on top of the scoop cup! I put the storage container with the hemp seed into the freezer. Should I throw it all out? They love these seeds and have been eating them okay...

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I would throw it out, disinfect the drawer and start over.

I keep pellets, seed and Nutriberries in the freezer except small containers for the week. Nuts I keep in the fridge.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks everyone! I will dump it! Actually, I think I can feed it to the wild birds?

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I think the wild birds would love it......weevils and all!!!

Birblover

Meeting neighbors
We used to get weevils often in the cupboards where we keep containers of seed, porridge, flour, etc, but after we put bay leaves everywhere I swear I've not seen any since!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I'd also check any containers you may have of flour, rice, dry pasta or any other type of grain in storage, especially if a container has been opened.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@SandraK Thanks! I dont have many of those things as I dont cook. I am pretty sure it's coming from the hemp seed. I think they are called seed weevils. There are not any in the food drawers - just occasionally I see them in the bird food drawer, but last night there were so many on the scooper I used to get the hemp seed out of the box in storage. I think discarding the hemp seed and cleaning the drawer out will solve the problem (I hope!).