• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weaning question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michelelynne

Walking the driveway
My husband and I bought a Blue and Gold Macaw baby about 6 weeks ago. At that point they told us that she would be ready to come home in approx 6 weeks. When we went to visit last weekend they said that she was refusing handfeedings and most likely she would be ready to come with us on Oct. 8th. We called this weekend to let them know that we had a family emergency and wouldnt be able to make it down and asked how she was doing. They said that she was now taking two handfeedings a day and its looking like it will be another 3 weeks at the earliest before she will be ready to leave. Is this normal? Do Macaws, or any baby birds, go from refusing all feedings back to taking them? If it is normal how much longer can we expect to wait, I know its different for each one but approx how long? Thanks!

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
Well if the breeder is weaning on her schedule, she could waver back and forth as she tries new foods. They don't really wean on a set time, they wean when they're ready too. Just be patient. :D You'll have your baby in no time I'm sure.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree. I think the breeder is doing the right thing by keeping her till fully weaned. Try and be patient!:hug8:

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Sounds like you have a responsible breeder.
When I raised 3 Green Wing macaws from 2 weeks till when they were fully (abundance) weaned at 6.5 months old, I still kept them for an additional 3 weeks, to be 100% certain they were eating well on their own and maintaining good weight.
There are many variables in weaning times; your breeder is obviously not rushing things, which is good!

GlassOnion

One breeder I know calls that stage, the "lightening phase" where large birds refuse feedings in order to lose weight for their first flight, but quickly require feedings soon after. :)

Michelelynne

Walking the driveway
Thanks to all of you............I know the breeder is doing what is best for the bird, I really had no doubt about that. To be honest I am just so anxious to have her/him here with me. When we called the breeder was a little busy so I didnt have the chance to ask if it was normal for them to go back and forth like that and knew that I would get an answer here! Does anyone have any idea APPROXIMATELY how much longer it should be, like I said I know every bird is different and its all up to her but is there an average of when they are weaned?

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
No average really, some are 4 months others can be up to 8 or even more! With abundance weaning, you do just that, you feed them until they refuse.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
It's very normal for a bird to drop to two or three feedings and then decide it wants more...it's all part of the weaning process. I agree with everyone else, this breeder is being very responsible which is very refreshing!:)

Michelelynne

Walking the driveway
No average really, some are 4 months others can be up to 8 or even more! With abundance weaning, you do just that, you feed them until they refuse.
Oh my, I sure do hope that it doesnt take until she is over 8 months old, but if it does then it does...........I'm just so excited to finally have her home, its so hard to wait!

Michelelynne

Walking the driveway
It's very normal for a bird to drop to two or three feedings and then decide it wants more...it's all part of the weaning process. I agree with everyone else, this breeder is being very responsible which is very refreshing!:)
I guess maybe I shouldnt have set up her cage and gotten everything ready so soon, its sort of like when you set up a crib in anticipation of a baby being born...............after you do that time seems to stop and it takes FOREVER. LOL

tammie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tammie
Try to be patient. I know it's hard to do, the anticipation is a killer. But, you do not want your baby coming home and then regressing. When it comes home you want it to be able to eat lots of different things, playing on it's own, perching and learning bird things.
Once you've had it for a while you'll be wishing for a day of peace and quiet!

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Just keep telling yourself that the more time spent on your fabie's weaning, the better adjusted he will be--it's a lifetime investment in your birds physical & emotional well-being! That being said, I would be hardly able to stand the wait, either:heart: :dance5: :)

Michelelynne

Walking the driveway
Just keep telling yourself that the more time spent on your fabie's weaning, the better adjusted he will be--it's a lifetime investment in your birds physical & emotional well-being! That being said, I would be hardly able to stand the wait, either:heart: :dance5: :)
I really am trying to be patient........I have got to stop looking at pictures, and youtube videos of them though, thats making it worse! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.