• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We got a dumped Cockatiel from our landlord this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Some of you may have seen me mention once or twice about our landlord and his wife (it is actually mainly his wife) who take in wild birds if they are sick, injured and etc, and then release them once they are good enough to be returned to the wild, they are pretty much wild bird rehabber’s you may as well say. They do have other birds of their own, too. (one being a Hawk and a few others I can’t remember off the top of my head)

Anyway, someone recently dumped a Cockatiel at their house, and the wife has been looking after her since.. :( Our landlord mentioned to his wife that I have Cockatiels, and said that I would take the Cockatiel, she said to him “shouldn’t you ring first?” and he was like, “nah, she will”, lol. :rolleyes:

Early this morning, our landlord turned up at our front door step, he handed my mum a box and explained what happened, and next thing I have my mum and brother bolting into my bedroom putting a box in front of me — I open the box and hear a chirp, it is a Cockatiel! :eek: I know I said I am at my limit with birds, but one of the worst things to hear is a Cockatiel that has been dumped, and I think she deserves so much to be given tons of TLC and be spoiled rotten at least. :sad1:

I quickly got a cage set up for her in the dining room and put her in so she could settle down. She is scared understandably, and she is very reluctant to step up, she lunges and bites you, but the bite doesn’t hurt at all.. I am going to work on taming her down. She is white and has a cinnamon wash through her (a mix of cinnamon and white) with really red eyes, she is beautiful! She appears to be an older Cockatiel, not that it matters, she is pretty grotty and dirty, so as she settles in more, I will try and introduce spray baths. Diet is something else, she is a bit on the heavy side, I want to get her on a good diet, I have no idea what she was eating previously, if she was already on a good diet, it will be a breeze to get her to eat different foods, if not, well slowly she will be introduced to a new diet. :) She is missing a toe nail on one foot, and the same toe appears to be fat? It might be an old injury, but I can get a photo and show you what I mean, maybe someone could tell me.

PS: My mum is so sweet, you know how I said I set up a cage for her in the dining room?! Well, my mum cleared space in her bedroom for her and has now moved her into her bedroom where she has been talking to her and all.. she has fallen head over heels for her! :heart: So she will be staying in my mums room now. :D She has been chirping every now and again and I have seen her eat, but not drink, she appears to be alert and she is moving around.

Still deciding on a name for her, I love the name “Luna” and my mum said “Coco”.

Here are some photos I just took of her :cloud9:: (I am going to make toys for her, excuse the bare cage, she has food, water and perches though..)

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
:hug8: She is beautiful! Thank you for giving her a wonderful home!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a pretty girl,thats so sad that she was dumped. So glad you could take her in :)

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Gorgeous girl, glad you could take her in :hug8:

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
:hug8: She is beautiful. Thank you for taking her!

TypingParrot

Rollerblading along the road
:faint: she's ....she's stunnning. So glad you rethought your limit!

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
aww! She's so adorable! I'm glad you were able to take her in!:D

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Awww what a pretty cockatiel. She is the color of snow.:heart:

quakingcanopy

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Aww!! Sounds like she was left on the right door step to eventually come home to you and your mom!! :heart::heart::heart: I've never seen one solid white like that! How lovely! I like Luna ;)

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
She's beautiful! I know you'll take great care of her. :)

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
She is gorgeous Renae and couldn't have landed at a better place :heart:

I like the name Luna also :D

Instinct

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jillian
She is simply stunning! I'm so glad you and your family were able to take her into your care. :heart:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
She is gorgeous!!! I'm glad you were able to take her in. I like the name Luna :)

penguin

Avenue Veteran
She's very pretty. I like both names, not so helpful there, because she looks pale like a moonbeam or coconut flesh. Poor thing, I bet she would stick out like a sore thumb in the wild, too. I can't wait to see what she looks like in a few months.

Last edited:

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
:eek: dumped :( glad you are caring for her. she is beautiful!!:heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.