• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We barely knew you, Lo..

sierraecho89

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Seraphina
Lola was twelve weeks old when we noticed she wasn't feeling as chipper as before... She didn't want to take formula, but she'd stopped eating on her own. We thought she was weaning. We were wrong.

When I went on her daily visit (we went every day to see her and play with her without fail since she was three or four weeks old), she was just as snuggly--she'd climb up and nuzzle into my neck. She was still chewing and playing with her toys, although less than usual. The breeder took her to the vet the next day. She wasn't better, but she also wasn't worse.

I looked at her and just knew. She seemed perfectly fine, if a tiny bit less active. She was perching. She was playing. But she wasn't eating. I just knew I wouldn't see her again... I had to drive to Nebraska to bury my Mom.

She was at the vet for two days. She died the day after we returned home. Just like that. The vet says it's bad formula--not too hot, not too thick, not too cold, fed just right--but that he thinks it was overheated in powder-form when it was delivered via UPS. That it grew dangerous bacteria. That there's another breeder who is just now experiencing the same thing. Our breeder lost six baby birds over the past week. In case anyone is curious, she's switched formulas--we've been friends with her for four years, bought our budgies from her, hung out and played with her birds frequently, and nothing like this has ever, ever happened.

My heart is absolutely broken.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
oh i am so sorry for your loss :hug8:

Yoshi&Reza

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
I'm so sorry for your losses. It is amazing how fast we fall in love with our babies before they even come home. My husband and I have been exactly where you are now but it was with our puppy. I know it may not seem like it now, but everything will work out for the best. I truly believe things happen for a reason and while I may totally hate what is happening now, it always works out.

:hug8:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I am deeply sorry for your loss. Wings High, Lola....

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your losses.

Matt

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
I'm sorry for your loss, at least you tried your best! :hug8:

Dagbjört

Moving in
Real Name
Dagbjört
Oh I am so sorry to hear that :( Poor babies.
Is it possible for the breeder to let the company that makes the formula know to prevent it happening again? I know it won´t bring back your baby or the others but maybe a little noise can make the delivery people more careful.

ConureTiel

Avenue Veteran
How terrible! So sorry for you and for your breeder.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I'm sorry for your loss.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Deeply sorry for your loss. :sadhug2:

sierraecho89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Seraphina
@Dagbjört, their company vet is in contact with our vet. They are aware and working on the situation. The baby bird deaths stopped at six, thank God, but it was just terrible.

@Yoshi&Reza, what happened? Do you mind sharing?

We think we're going to go ahead and obtain a second bird... Lola's parents are on eggs, so we'll have one of her sisters. I just don't know that it can ever be the same or close to it. She was so snuggly. She loved being with us. She was like a feathered puppy... I'm not sure we'll get to have that kind of experience again. I really want to believe that maybe God would give her a second chance with us, but then, why would he take her so quickly unless he had other plans for her? =( Anyway.. that's my rambling update..

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Very sorry for your loss.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry for your loss. It is good that you were able to figure out what happened.

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
I am so sorry!