• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

WCP's first happy bath

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
I started not to mention this, but my smile is big and I've been calling friends to share. :)
Sherman, my WCP, was actually glad about her spray bath today! Until now, she just put up with it. Today, she spread her wings and seemed to enjoy it! Granted, it was short one, but she seemed to welcome it and the "rain" from her overhead bars! :)
She still digs in her forage basket in secret and dips each morsel of food before eating it, but this is a BIG step for us! :) :)

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
Yayyyy! Way to go, Sherman!

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
This has been such an eventful weekend! My WCP enjoyed her shower and my IRP didn't attack me for cleaning his area! WooHoo

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I came home early for lunch and sprayed her, again. She spread her wings and loved it! This may be the best treat ever! Maybe this is the trust secret! :)

RawPasta

Real Name
Kelley
I came home early for lunch and sprayed her, again. She spread her wings and loved it! This may be the best treat ever! Maybe this is the trust secret! :)
I've heard that that's how to get lovebirds on your side. Bathe first then try to work with them. We tried it the other day with our lovie and he responded really well.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I've heard that that's how to get lovebirds on your side. Bathe first then try to work with them. We tried it the other day with our lovie and he responded really well.
Thanks for that! I'm going to try this now that Sherman seems to like showers. That may be the key! Are there any other tricks you can pass along? We'll be together for a couple of decades! I need all the help I can get!

Sherman is my first Pionus. The AV gave me limited history and a clean health check when I got her. She is so introverted and quiet. Her left side scars are obvious and I only post photos from the right, back or far, far away.

Today makes 35 days and Sherman still doesn't want to come out of her cage and seems afraid of an open cage door. Although... she did get close to my hand during cage cleaning and the door was open. My neighbor suggested leaving a small feeding door open.

RawPasta

Real Name
Kelley
My hahn's came to me with trust and biting issues. I worked daily with him to retrain his habits and over a year of work felt comfortable enough to teach him to give kisses without biting. It was a lot of gaining his trust with praise and treats. He would come out of his cage no problem, but it was always beak first. Just keep at it she'll get there!

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Thanks @RawPasta for reminding me that gaining a lifelong bff is worth the effort. Sherman is a good bird and will definitely be worth it all! Besides, if @Dartman can hold out that long for Lurch, I surely can hold out while she bonds.