• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wave Trick

ChrisJBudgie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chris
Hi! Most videos that I watch for training your bird to wave tell me that your bird has to step up without touching it rather than stepping up while pushing your finger on its belly. How would I train my parakeet to wave using the step up method I use which is pushing on his belly?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I would never use that method as the bird has no choice there. It would be more beneficial to look into positive reinforcement training and design a plan to teach your bird.

ChrisJBudgie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chris
I would never use that method as the bird has no choice there. It would be more beneficial to look into positive reinforcement training and design a plan to teach your bird.
So how would I go about it with positive reinforcment?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When your bird does a behavior you want or comes close you reward with treats and/or verbal praise.
For waving I would just wave my hand and then if my bird lifted his/her foot I would reward.
You start rewarding if they get close to the behavior even if it's not perfect. Work in steps to move them towards the desired behavior.

When it comes to trick training @Macawnutz

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Can I ask first, why would pushing his belly be considered negative? Can he not leave if he does not want his belly touched?

Does your bird not want to step up? Does your bird not have the option to walk away?

ChrisJBudgie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chris
I dont think I said pushing his belly would be considered negative. Yes he can leave if he doesnt want his belly touched. He loves to step up! Yes he can walk away. What I am saying is if I push on his belly wont he think that Im trying to get him to step up?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is the purpose of pushing him on his belly to get him to wave?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You won't need to touch his belly. You will want to touch his foot and say wave. The moment he lifts his foot, even shifts his weight off of it say "good" and reward. Repeat repeat repeat. You may have to rub your finger on the top of his foot but if he allows it, it's not negative. :)

It will get to the point that you point at his foot and say wave. Then... you will just say wave. :)