• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Watery Poop

C.om.edian

Moving in
Hello,

I have a white bellied caique, 16 years old.

He's been active and vocal but lately very watery poops and little feces. Seems like he strains as well when he poops. Vent as well as area around is clean. Morning poops seem well formed and urates + urine looks consistent. Feces color is brown.

Quick Google searches show polyuria but I would like more opinions from the community and if anyone else has had experience with this.

Diet really hasn't changed, Omars Exotic Bird blend with pellets along with veggies. He eats like usual, perhaps a little less.

I do have a vet appointment coming up next Monday since this has been going on for a few days now. Any ideas or other things to look for? Thank you.

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am glad you have a vet appointment. Has the color of his dropping changed at all? Watery droppings can be something as simple as stress or molting. Has anything changed in your household? Or it can be a sign of kidney issues among other things. So a vet appointment is definitely best to see what's going on. Keep us posted please. I hope he's okay.

C.om.edian

Moving in
I am glad you have a vet appointment. Has the color of his dropping changed at all? Watery droppings can be something as simple as stress or molting. Has anything changed in your household? Or it can be a sign of kidney issues among other things. So a vet appointment is definitely best to see what's going on. Keep us posted please. I hope he's okay.
Thank you for the reply. We give him a variety of fruits and vegetables - he likes everything except greens so his droppings do tend to change in color. I wouldn't think he's stressed as nothing in the house has changed and his schedule is pretty much the same. Molting -maybe- but he went through a big molting phase about two to three months ago. He did bite me pretty hard drawing blood the other day. Something he hasn't done in years so I'm thinking hormonal? Not sure if excessive urine can be from hormones.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
The feces is mush so this looks like diarrhea plus polyuria. Definitely a big problem I'm glad you are getting to the vet . For what appears to be diarrhea...that's much more serious in birds....wish you could be seen tomorrow..but I don't go to emergency vets , definitely I never none avain emergency vets

You can offer plain Greek yogurt, offer from finger touch beak tip to it and wait . Many birds will take to it . It won't cure anything but might help .

On fruit , cut way back or stop for now . To much sugary fruit can cause bacteria bloom or yeast bloom ...

C.om.edian

Moving in
Thank you for your replies! I went to the vet today and she confirmed bacteria in stool and gave me antibiotics. I'll give it to my little buddy and see if it helps as recommended by the vet. Am supposed to follow up again in 7-10 days should it not have any impact. If interested, I can post updates.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Thank you for your replies! I went to the vet today and she confirmed bacteria in stool and gave me antibiotics. I'll give it to my little buddy and see if it helps as recommended by the vet. Am supposed to follow up again in 7-10 days should it not have any impact. If interested, I can post updates.
Definitely post updates! We all learn from posts like this.
Plus we care! We want your bird feeling better!
I hope when well you post a normal healthy poop pic too

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would ask your vet about following up with some probiotics too. I hope he feels better soon.