• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Watery poop

Rabiaa

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a baby grey parrot 6 to 7 weeks old, he is lately pooping water and a little bit of actual poop at night only while sleeping in his box and making it all wet while other times he is pooping just fine. I want to know if this is normal or should i take him to a vet

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm not sure! I'm going to move your thread to the baby forum as more people who know these things may see it there.

@Zara perhaps? I know greys aren't your specialty but you may know about the poops!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
While I don't know about Greys and other larger parrots, when a chick is eating only formula, their poop is that strange formula like consistency. Eventually they start pooping the solids floating in the liquid.
If your bird is only pooping liquid, it could mean they are not getting enough food, if they are ony eating formula then that would mean the formula is too thin.
Double check your formula consistency and temperatures. If everything is as it should be, you could take a picture of the poops and send it to your vet to see if they think you should take the little guy in.

@BrianB @Jan @Macawnutz

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Its a baby and I always say when you have concern take them in.

I can't imagine ever saying one of my birds made something "wet" without having fecal matter. What are you using as bedding? Is the box too warm? Could water have been spilled from a dish?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
While I don't know about Greys and other larger parrots, when a chick is eating only formula, their poop is that strange formula like consistency. Eventually they start pooping the solids floating in the liquid.
If your bird is only pooping liquid, it could mean they are not getting enough food, if they are ony eating formula then that would mean the formula is too thin.
Double check your formula consistency and temperatures. If everything is as it should be, you could take a picture of the poops and send it to your vet to see if they think you should take the little guy in.

@BrianB @Jan @Macawnutz
Agree
It can also be needing an extra feeding later in the day .
You are weighing daily?
Definitely agree checking with veterinarian, a lot of things can go wrong when hand feeding, the sooner caught and addressed the better the outcome.n

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Do you have the right water to formula ratio? Babies can tend to be more on the wet side but it should have some consistency to it. Even at the age he is, the formula is still more on the watery side. You have to have the right amount of formula otherwise they won't gain weight if too watery. Think of pancake batter consistency.