• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Water dispenser?

Perroquet

Meeting neighbors
I'm looking for recommendations for a water dispenser that can be filled and cleaned easily without opening the cage, for my conures. (Normally they drink from a stainless steel bowl, but I'll be out of town for a few days and my new bird sitter may have to keep the cage closed during that time.)

Islandtime

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
DeDe Jackson
My late son purchased this water dispenser and I clean it and put bottled water in it weekly. I test to make sure it’s not clogging and it never has so far. It does clip to the outside of the cage with a stretchable springy metal clip. It does not have to be refilled every week. I just do that. IMG_2662.jpeg

Islandtime

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
DeDe Jackson
My late son purchased this water dispenser and I clean it and put bottled water in it weekly. I test to make sure it’s not clogging and it never has so far. It does clip to the outside of the cage with a stretchable springy metal clip. It does not have to be refilled every week. I just do that. View attachment 438318
I need to add that I am going by what the bottle information said. Does anybody know if I should be cleaning this daily? I was told because it has a tight fitting lid that it was safe to wait until he finished drinking it. Please don’t go by what I put on my previous post as to when to refill water! I would wait for somebody who is more knowledgeable than me! I’m a novice and new to this forum! I do not have the name of the water bottle. I cannot find the original box or information that came with it. I just know that it comes off from the outside of the cage and I wanted to show you a picture of it.kindly, islandtime

Islandtime

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
DeDe Jackson
I need to add that I am going by what the bottle information said. Does anybody know if I should be cleaning this daily? I was told because it has a tight fitting lid that it was safe to wait until he finished drinking it. Please don’t go by what I put on my previous post as to when to refill water! I would wait for somebody who is more knowledgeable than me! I’m a novice and new to this forum! I do not have the name of the water bottle. I cannot find the original box or information that came with it. I just know that it comes off from the outside of the cage and I wanted to show you a picture of it.kindly, islandtime
I just researched here and it should be cleaned and new water daily:wideyed: I’m so thankful that Connor did not get ill from it! I will change immediately!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I just researched here and it should be cleaned and new water daily:wideyed: I’m so thankful that Connor did not get ill from it! I will change immediately!
Many people choose not to use water bottles as they are difficult (if not impossible) to clean properly and the actual drinking nozzles really cant be cleaned well ever.
They can also clog up/seize without humans realising which leaves the bird without a source of water.
Many feel it is just safer and more hygienic to use bowls.

I know I would not like to be drinking from the same bottle of water for a week and using the same straw for even a few days is kind of a yuck thought too- I wash my water bottle out daily so my birds and dog get fresh water daily too to minimise any health issues.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I would not switch their method of water delivery unless you're around to supervise that they're actually willing and able to use it.

That said, I'm also not a fan of anything other than bowls for many of the reasons Shez already mentioned.

How is food delivered without opening the cage?

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
We use this one in Dragon's pack o bird and portable cage. It didn't take him very long to learn how to use it and you should definitely make sure your guy will use it first but it works really well. water bottle

I agree that it should not be an all the time thing but for your situation I think it is far better than losing a bird, or a dirty water bowl for several days.....

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Our U2 had one attached to her California Cage when we bought her at the pet store almost 24 years ago. We tried switching her over to a crock, but she made soup daily & threw messy soup water every where. Since then she's used the water bottle. Never had one plug up, never had her get sick, etc. We use a bottle brush to clean the bottle & a long narrow brush to clean the metal tube.

Islandtime

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
DeDe Jackson
Our U2 had one attached to her California Cage when we bought her at the pet store almost 24 years ago. We tried switching her over to a crock, but she made soup daily & threw messy soup water every where. Since then she's used the water bottle. Never had one plug up, never had her get sick, etc. We use a bottle brush to clean the bottle & a long narrow brush to clean the metal tube.
Many people choose not to use water bottles as they are difficult (if not impossible) to clean properly and the actual drinking nozzles really cant be cleaned well ever.
They can also clog up/seize without humans realising which leaves the bird without a source of water.
Many feel it is just safer and more hygienic to use bowls.

I know I would not like to be drinking from the same bottle of water for a week and using the same straw for even a few days is kind of a yuck thought too- I wash my water bottle out daily so my birds and dog get fresh water daily too to minimise any health issues.
I did want to mention that he also has access to stainless steel water bowl in his cage, that is cleaned daily. However, he does throw pellets and food in it, and my son was worried about that growing bacteria as well. thank you so much for all of your responses:)