• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Water bottle v.s Water bowl

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
So I adopted Paco less then two weeks ago, his a 19 year old CAG. He came with a water bottle attached to the side of his cage. I introduced a water bowl and he seems to enjoy dipping his beak in it and flipping the water. Well the last 2 days he has been picking at it to get it out of the ring it sits in. It's a stainless steel bowl. So cleaned up his mess and left the empty bowl in the cage, now he has flipped it the bottom of his cage and is playing with it. Should I give up trying to introducing him to the bowl and just use the water bottle? I've never had a parrot that uses a water bottle.

Kodigirl210

First off why is it an issue? If Paco likes to play with his bowl he’s no different than 99% of the other parrots out there. Parrots tend to love stainless steel - so if you want him to use the bowl for water - get him some stainless steel toys. And most parrots don’t just drink water. They splash it, the bathe in it, the dunk their food in it and yes they tip it over because they get a childish glee from knocking it over and spilling the water. Most people who have fids expect to change the water no less than twice a day but often it is many more times than that.
I have attached an example of a stainless toy.

Bonka Bird Toys 1750 Clacker Bird Toy parrot cage toys cages african grey amazon conure cockatoo Amazon.com : Bonka Bird Toys 1750 Clacker Bird Toy parrot cage toys cages african grey amazon conure cockatoo : Pet Supplies

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
get dimpled bowls from kingscages. they can't be dumped out. Water bowl is much better than water bottle. have both if you like.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I have a bowl and a bottle in all cages. Ekkies dunk their food so it messes up their bowls almost immediately and they constantly check out each other's cages and food dishes (to see if I'm giving someone else better food I guess). So all their bowls turn to soup rather quickly!

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
My birds have access to both - and all of them use both. I like giving them options. :)

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
My concern is when I'm at work I don't want him in a wet messy cage all day until I can home and clean it up. There is no grate on the bottom of the cage as well. Thank you for your advise.