• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Water bottle usage

Spiro

Checking out the neighborhood
Good morning everyone. Well, we finally got our caique on the weekend. 3 months old, still eating powder formula from a bowl but is almost wheaned off of it since its eating the granules in the cage as well. On the advice of our breeder we installed a water bottle in the cage since she told us that caiques like to make soup from it and make a mess. the thing is we dont see any water intake from the bird. How will i know if the bird is getting water? There is a water bowl in the cage as well. thank you. Also i would like some feedback on water bottle usage .. thanks in advance

Krisco

Moving in
When I got my two babies my breeder suggested getting a water bottle but leaving the water bowl for a bit anyhow I filled the bottle up with distilled water and I had my Caiques sitting on the arm of my couch I slowly brought the drinking end near and touched my finger to it got a drop of water and presented it to them a few time then held it up and they drank a little from it I did this for a few days then put it in the cage and removed the water bowl I check the bottle frequently to make sure it is always working well it works great was easy for me to get them to use it

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Making soup is where all the fun is.

I hate spout bottles because they are very hard to clean and harbour bacteria. Certainly not worse than any bowl.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Making soup is where all the fun is.

I hate spout bottles because they are very hard to clean and harbour bacteria. Certainly not worse than any bowl.
I dunno John, have you ever SMELLED a caiques' water soup?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've used bottles and had bottle brushes to clean them out. However, the bottles would start dripping but even worse the birds started removing their bottles from the cage bars.

Last edited:

Robert Schulz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Robert
I successfully converted my two guys to using water bottles. Conversion isn't difficult; I first placed the bottle in the cage and waited until I saw them actually drinking from it (few days at most) I then removed the water bowl from the cage. I can ear them drinking from their water bottles throughout the day, flicking their tongue against the metal ball.
Keep an eye on the droppings, if they become "dryer" than normal, you'll know the water intake is down. Btw, I prefer the glass ones over the plastic. I find the glass is easier to keep clean since it isn't porous.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I would rather my birds spend their days harmlessly making soup than find them bored and feather plucking.

It's not a direct connection but I don't take chances.

Stainless steel water bowls are easily swapped out and washed

Last edited:

Krisco

Moving in
I boil my glass water bottle in a pot of boiling water every week it's easy enough to keep clean Sorry I forgot who makes it but it works great and I've had no problems with it glass bottles are best

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Personally I don't like the idea of bottles. No matter how well you think you are cleaning them its risky! So you end up changing the water several times a day if it is in a bowl. I would rather do that then the water bottle cleaning routine.

CristineK

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cristine
Omg yes, the soup is real lol