• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Watch out for window blinds

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
On Friday I left town in rather a hurry. I remember putting Ernie up and vaguely thinking that Rio didn't fly at me (he usually slams into me about the time I open the screen door to leave the room).
Hubby said he went in very late in the day, so about 8 hours later, and didn't see Rio. He kept looking and the blinds were shaking. These are the heavy, almost plantation shutter weight blinds and nobirdie has ever been able to move them.
Rio was behind them and when hubby got him out he frantically flew to his cage and ate, drank, ate drank. Hubby felt really bad. He lifted them by some inches.
Saturday he went in and they were shaking again, but this time Rio climbed over to the spot where hubby got him out, and stuck his head out. :egg:Then came out. So hopefully he's learned. I guess we will raise the blinds all the way or take them off, if hubs hasn't already.

I keep them shut because one of my neighbors was standing there looking in at the birds...it's set back from the rest of the house so she was quite far up in the yard, I felt invaded. Or judged.

Hubby is crazy about Rio; he just hasn't realized it yet.

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Oh no!!!! Poor Rio!!! Yeah, hopefully he has learned! Little mischief maker. :rolleyes:

That situation with your neighbor sounds REALLY creepy!!! I would hate to feel like I have to keep my windows closed all of the time!!! Not to mention that then you miss out on natural light. :(
I don't know how much it would cost or how complicated this would be, but what if you were to install windows with frosted glass? Or maybe you could use a frosted-glass-sticker or something? I think my neighbors have something like that, since they live in a first floor apartment.
It would also be a more Rio friendly set up! Haha.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Those are good ideas, I'll mention them to hubby.

Yeah I thought it was weird, especially since if she's out walking her dog she avoids or ignores me and my dog! Peeping Tomette!

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Remember Bewitched and her nosy, neighbors Abner and Gladys go out in the yard and yell Abner, Abner. :giggle:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly