• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wasps in the Aviaries

TehLizardKing

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Stevie
Hey guys! It's the end of summer, and my fids are loving the oddly warm weather... But they're also being plagued by wasps! There's clusters of them all over the fruit, they come from miles around as soon as I put the fresh food on the birdie tables in the morning. Idk why, because there's elderberries and blackberries going bad all over the garden... Maybe they know the birdie fruit is organic xD

As much as I love all creatures, I want them gone. The fruit n veggies bill isn't inexpensive and the parrots have hardly been touching it because those bugs freak them out. All the smaller birds are happy to dodge them, but I've had three of my gorgeous Java sparrows die for no apparent reason recently, and with my cleanliness and there being no physical wounds or illness in the other birds, I was considering wasp stings to be the culprit.

One of them landed on Darcy (GCC) and he literally fell of his perch, I've never heard him scream so loud. He's quieter when he sees a hawk honestly. So yeah, I want them gone. Obviously poison isn't an option for inside the aviary (and I don't like using poisons anyway since they go up the food chain), the guineafowl eat wasps but even IF I could catch one, god knows what damage it would do flapping around in there... Is there any way that you folks know of to get rid of the little b*ggers without affecting the fids?

Thanks guys, appreciate the help x

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Do they have a nest in the aviary, or do they only fly into the aviary to eat, and then leave? If they only fly in and then leave, you will need to put up wiring with smaller spacing between the bars. Hopefully, someone else can help with deterring them all together.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
all I can think of is putting up screen with smaller holes

Yup. Being outside the only thing that will stop them is a barrier. The simplest solution to me would be to drape mosquito netting over the aviary.

You could also put a bigger pile of "bait" (the fruit) outside the aviary to draw a great many of them away from inside it.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I wonder if an electric fly zapper, just out of reach of the birds of course, would help?

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
"You could also put a bigger pile of "bait" (the fruit) outside the aviary to draw a great many of them away from inside it". JL, thats was my first thought.