• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Warmth

beanie37

Sitting on the front steps
Does anyone have any suggestions? If we get budgies in the summer we keep our a/c around 66 or 67* at night as we live in the SW desert area. I know that is too chilly for a bird. One person said they put a heating pad on top of the cage and a blanket over that. But that worries me as a fire hazard. What do any of you do? Thanks.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I have no AC but I live at 7500' so try to cool the house down into the 60s at night by opening the windows and using a whole house fan (it is often in the 40s and low 50s at night)
I cover my flock's cages and each one has an XS size Sweeter Heater on it. They are on a timer to turn on because it is often too warm for them at bedtime but they are needed midway thru the night.
I've been doing this for 25 years and no problems. They are available from the company and on Amazon.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
The winter temps in my bird room sit around 66-68 degrees. The birds should be fine as long as the temperature isn't fluctuating like 90 during the day and 66 at night.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My understanding is that birds are actually ok to about 58 degrees. I personally wouldn't let it get that low, but I think mid- sixties is fine. I would just make sure that cold air isn't blowing directly on them.

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
We keep the air at 68/69 F every night here in Florida, and they do just fine, as others have noted. Parts of their native country get much colder than that at night! AC is a gradual enough temperature change naturally, as long as they aren't being blasted by drafts. You can fully or partially cover the cage if you are worried about drafts (I do it so they don't get spooked by anything, but that's another benefit).