• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Want to Try Feeding Eggs

UserAZ

Walking the driveway
I saw in a post (Can anybody have idea about it) that budgies eat eggs and even the shells. So I done some reading on different ways of doing it. One concern is the non-stick pan issue, to not use Teflon/etc. My pans minimum age range twenty years to many decades prior. So, to be safe, I was thinking of scrambling an egg in a bowl, putting it in microwave for a few moments until enough to mix up. I have done this many times before for myself, but wanted to check if nuked egg is okay to feed a budgie.

And then, add it with pellets or millets as well. I would put it all in a small bowl in the cage, rather add the egg into his food cups.

The next thing I wanted to do was try using that shell. So, I was thinking of crushing it to many pieces and baking it in over on a pizza tray. Then sprinkling it over pellets and try to see if he even eats any of it, or I find it all over the cage bottom or just left in bowl without pellets.

I never boiled an egg before. Not how I would even eat it. I could probably also boil an egg and then crush it all up for him, but not sure if that would smell up this tiny place.

He does not eat veggies or fruits. So, figured I try egg since I saw it mentioned. Chances are he will not bother with it and I be tossing it all within a few hours, like all attempts on other food items.

Are my methods acceptable-ish?

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes your methods are fine :)

UserAZ

Walking the driveway
If he does go for it, do not feed it too often.
Yups. I did read that if feeding eggs to budgies, once or twice a week. Has been noted (assuming Tweety even eats it).

I be trying this tonight.

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
It's best as a supplement when they are molting. Too much protein (and the high fat in the yolk) could become an issue, depending on what else they are eating.

UserAZ

Walking the driveway
Well, last night he ate the millets off the plate of eggs and plate of shells, and ignored the eggs and shells.
Will remove the eggs by the end of the night since they will probably go bad or get hard, and will remove the shells.
Will try again in a couple of days. As it is, I only get a dozen eggs once every few months when possible to obtain some. So, can not just keep it up if he not going to eat them. Will see.
Maybe the person who had Tweety prior to last year taught him to be just a bird-food birdie. :0

grafton

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Grafton
This is a slow process. Be patient, but persistent. It can take months to get a seed-junkie to consider any other food source. Be creative. Try dangling some wet greens--dill, basil, spinach -etc from the top of the cage near a perch. He might first just 'bathe' in it but eventually might pick at it. Another trick: place chop--a fine chop of several veggies--on a small mirror on the floor of the cage. When he sees that other budgie investigating the food, he might get competitive. Also, try eating a piece of veggie, or any new food, near his cage where he can watch you eating, then offer him some.

UserAZ

Walking the driveway
Heh. Thanks. I spent a year with veggies and greens. hanging, dishes, cage floor, etc. He does not do those, or bath in greens either (I have to spray bottle the guy). I have ate food near him and tried to serve him. A year of all that and nothing. He never budged (no pun). Egg is the first new thing I wanted to try.
Now, that mirror idea sounds like something to try. I can put the spare mirror on the cage bottom and then some of that food on top. Wonder how he would react with that. Hmmmm.........