• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Want to start him on probiotics/supplements...Any tips?

birdlady91

Meeting neighbors
I have a 5 month old GCC who weighs about 65g. He eats Zupreem Natural, Nutriberries and some fruits/veggies (unfortunately not enough but I give him at least something fresh everyday). I just bought Harrison's brand food online and am going to try converting him to that since it is organic and apparently healthier. I'm really paranoid at all times that he'll get sick bc it seems like parrots get sick at the drop of a hat.

I just bought a few things to prevent sickness but thought I would ask you all your advice before I give him anything. Could there be side effects that hurt him?

this probiotic: Quiko Probiotic Digestive Support Bird Supplement | Petco

Vetriscience DMG: VetriScience Laboratories Vetri-DMG Dog Cat and Bird Liquid | Petco

And also apple cider vinegar.

Would this help prevent bacterial gut/stomach/kidney infections?

I went to the vet about a month ago for a checkup and everything was fine. I'm most concerned that these things can somehow hurt him or poison him. I don't want to give him anything unless I know others have had success. Is this worth making another vet appt? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I only get probiotics from my vet, same with DMG. I use Braggs ACV, 2teaspoon ACV to 1quart of water. I use it 3 times a week and keep it in frig.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Vetri DMG is fine, ACV is good, but I haven’t heard of that probiotic. I think probiotics are good, but most people here seem to use Aviculture or Avi Bios.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'm really paranoid at all times that he'll get sick BC it seems like parrots get sick at the drop of a hat.
Yes you are. Because the diet you are feeding is perfectly adequate and already fortified.

Feed that diet. Give your bird lots of flight time (fitness). Keep a clean environment and you shouldn’t have to (over) worry about those things.

Supplements are not necessary unless there is a diagnosed reason for them. Supplements can actually be dangerous if overdone.

Your bird is not even an adult yet. All it needs is good food.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I wouldn't give probiotics unless there was a need to. My cockatiel was on probiotics due to him having frequent bacterial infections and often probiotics are given if a bird is on antibiotics. I think they should be saved for when needed, just not on a regular bases.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds don't get sick for no reason, generally speaking :) I have had birds for 7 years and never had an illness. Good diet and good cleaning routine will keep most illnesses at bay.

Quiko actually makes a pretty good vitamin, so I won't write them off completely.

Here are the ingredients for Quiko Probiotic:

Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Thermophilum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Sugar.

Guaranteed Analysis
Total Microorganisms (min) 100,000,000 CFU/g (L. acidophilus, L. casei, B. thermophilum E. faecium). Contains a source of live (viable) naturally occurring microorganisms.

Compared to Avitech:

- Maltodextrine (basically, sugar)
- L.Acidophilus
- L.Casei
- L-Lactis
- B. Animalis
- S. Diacetylactis
- Dried Fermentation Products
- 2 billion CFU/gm

So you get different ones in each one. I don't know if any is better, BUT the AviBios has 2 billion per gram versus the Quiko which only has 100 million, meaning the Quiko has just 5% of the amount in each gram. I have only used the AviBios and after looking at the comparison, I would continue to do that. However, I only give during and after antibiotics also.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
From my understanding a lot of probiotics have dairy which birds can't digest. Equa Holistics makes a dairy free probiotic for birds which is amazing :)

That's a good point; I wonder how that translates for gut flora absorption? I will have to do some studying ;)

For the Equa Holistics here is the breakdown:

Guaranteed Analysis:
Direct fed micro-organisims ........ not less than 5 billion CFU* per scoop
(Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium animalis, Propionibacterium freudenreichii, Propionibacterium shermanii, Lactobacillus plantarum, Pediococcus acidilactici, Pediococcus pentosaceus, Bifidobacterium bifidum) *Colony Forming Units

Ingredients: Corn maltodextrin, Dried Propionibacterium freudenreichii fermentation product, Dried Propionibacterium shermanii fermentation
product, Dried Pediococcus acidilactici fermentation product, Dried Pediococcus pentosaceus fermentation product, Dried Bifidobacterium bifidum fermentation product, Dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product

So it has 5 billion per 1/8 tsp or 0.375 g, meaning that it over 13 billion per gram. The AviBios has only 38% of that, and the Quiko has less than 1%

Crazy!! I think I might switch!!

Parrot Hotel & Shop

Hit the Road
Real Name
Stephanie
That's a good point; I wonder how that translates for gut flora absorption? I will have to do some studying ;)

For the Equa Holistics here is the breakdown:

Guaranteed Analysis:
Direct fed micro-organisims ........ not less than 5 billion CFU* per scoop
(Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium animalis, Propionibacterium freudenreichii, Propionibacterium shermanii, Lactobacillus plantarum, Pediococcus acidilactici, Pediococcus pentosaceus, Bifidobacterium bifidum) *Colony Forming Units

Ingredients: Corn maltodextrin, Dried Propionibacterium freudenreichii fermentation product, Dried Propionibacterium shermanii fermentation
product, Dried Pediococcus acidilactici fermentation product, Dried Pediococcus pentosaceus fermentation product, Dried Bifidobacterium bifidum fermentation product, Dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product

So it has 5 billion per 1/8 tsp or 0.375 g, meaning that it over 13 billion per gram. The AviBios has only 38% of that, and the Quiko has less than 1%

Crazy!! I think I might switch!!
It's the best one that I've found so far actually. It's not cheap but it's well worth the price in my opinion :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder