• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Want a Pretty Finch Cage - any good?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I absolutely adore my Avian Adventures cage that I have for Gizmo. It is my hope to one day get two of the cage you posted for my Green Cheek and Quaker.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't ever know if they make cages with smaller than 1/2". It should be just fine.

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
As Shawna wrote, I don't think they make big cages with a bar spacing smaller than 1/2". The only cages I have seen with a smaller bar spacing (3/8") where those tiny cages we see in pet stores.

1/2" should be OK. This bar spacing is recommended for finches, but maybe those who have this cage could check for you if it has any larger gaps than 1/2". It shouldn't have but sometimes cages have those gaps somewhere else, not between the bars.

There are a few finch species that are indeed tiny (i.e. black headed mannikin, Cordon Bleus). They can get their head thru a 1/2" spacing. Even a few larger species can when they are trying to escape/run away from your hand.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have this cage for my dusky conure and there were several quality issues. It's a good cage but I was not happy with the fact that I had to tweak a few parts to put it together. Also the bars have flex to them but this would probably not be a problem with finches. BTW, you do not need to attach the peaked roof.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Birds like finches really need length over height. The wider the better. I had gold breasted finches in 1/2" bar spacing and as long as there are no wider gaps as mentioned, they are fine. They are super tiny for finches. I was amazed when I put them in a small holding cage I use for Kismet and they flew right through the bars!:eek:
This cage has 1/4" bar spacing
A&E Cage Co. Ocala Flight Cage - Bird Cages at Hayneedle